Why Elder Scrolls Online fails to Deliver (for me)

Uhuru

Pay to win is absolutely common these days. I don't know why are you so excited :P

Not from any good company. Cosmetic items... sure NP. Pay to win needs to diaf.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

It's really everywhere, but if you are lucky only up to some degree. No I don't agree with it.

Any form of pay to win along with significantly simplifying a game so every ****** who is able to pres 1-10 and click on mouse can acquire top quality raid-like gear is basically a big red sign yelling "jump the shitp!" at you.

I quit playing LOTRO (played it for almost five years) almost year ago because of this. Month before that I dumped €150 worth of cosmetic items into their ***** store.

Pay to win is absolutely common these days. I don't know why are you so excited :P

Not from any good company. Cosmetic items... sure NP. Pay to win needs to diaf.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

It's not going to die anytime soon though, there are way too many people who are ready to pay to have an edge over others in PvP games for that. A prime example would be hearthstones, where the game is still in beta, yet they'll gladly make you pay to buy cards. Or World of Tanks where you either buy your ammo with real cash, or have to keep using free shells that are more likely to bounce off and come back at you...

I don't know how you guys can see the Imperial Edition as pay to win. There is still 9 other race to choose from if you don't want to pay for the imperial edition. And it is possible that the race is unlockable through in-game progress later on. Also, I have been in BETA and all I can say is that this is not a pvp only game and single-player ES fans will find similarities within the pve side of thing to a certain extend, It's still an MMO. The PVP in my opinion will be similar to LOTRO pvp in a way where people go out there to hangout and have fun. Of course there will always be the wannabe elitist, yes, wannabe , because we all know there's no elitism in a pvp that evolve around huge fun battle that are also often one-sided and unbalanced.

If you check greenmangaming.com you can pre-order the imperial edition for 60$, so it's not too bad.

OMG I just found out that there is an "Imperial edition" of the game that costs more and allows you to play as an Imperial.

Paying for in-game content - that stinks. I wouldn't care about imperials, because I don't plan to play as one (they were boring in previous TESs for me), but I thought they were promising at some that in-game content wouldn't be sold.

Wait, what? That's... that's the race that I'd least expect to get the exclusive treatment. Considering how they were portrayed in the main game series (as being masters of none) - I'd... I'd have no words for that. And knowing how they are, I'd imagine they would be intentionally overpowered and laugh in the face of those who bought the Billy Basic edition. I mean, already, they get a mount from the start that's apparently faster than the in-game obtainable ones. One wonders if the will have a power that can kill a dragon just by pointing at them - would represent how cheated normal players of the game would feel very much.

Also, why can you only be a cross-faction player if you preordered the game? It would be really hard on anyone trying to RP a character in a different faction - ugh...

@Freyrgjurd's post about WoW - ...I'd kinda expected that they would implement a instant level boost considering the age (and as apparently the "fun" stuff happens at high levels), but... yes, if it costs money to do it (and a hefty amount too), I'd imagine that it would cause WoW to go down like a lead balloon at some point. The Pay to Win manfesto should die in the fires of Oblivion - if it's cosmetic, or if the item is balanced with regular in-game stuff (and can be gotten with enough patience in-game), I wouldn't mind it that much and consider it extra support for the company. But if it's essential to be competitive with other players... I have no words.

EDIT: @FCqt: I don't think you'd know about how powerful the Imperial race will be in this game. My guess is that it would be full of unique bonuses and tower over everyone. Even the official preorder page says that they get unique bonuses and crafting, and they made clear that they have a mount that will be available from level 1 and be very fast to boot. I really didn't expect that race to get the "pay to play" treatment, but it did, and I'd imagine it would get the same treatment as most other "pay to play" races.

And that $60 is better spent on other stuff - ACIV for instance, but I can tell you plently of other examples.

@Freyrgjurd's post about WoW - ...I'd kinda expected that they would implement a instant level boost considering the age (and as apparently the "fun" stuff happens at high levels), but... yes, if it costs money to do it (and a hefty amount too), I'd imagine that it would cause WoW to go down like a lead balloon at some point. The Pay to Win manfesto should die in the fires of Oblivion - if it's cosmetic, or if the item is balanced with regular in-game stuff (and can be gotten with enough patience in-game), I wouldn't mind it that much and consider it extra support for the company. But if it's essential to be competitive with other players... I have no words.

Hefty, like 30~40 bucks to. It'll be a present for the pre-orders, that you can use in the ongoing expansion.

If you stop to analyse, they are simply giving you the tools to ignore the world. You'll get you 90's and be stuck not knowing how to raid or use the class.

It'll be the end of pug raids. Looking for RAID (dungeon finder of sorts) is already a mess. So...

OMG I just found out that there is an "Imperial edition" of the game that costs more and allows you to play as an Imperial.

Paying for in-game content - that stinks. I wouldn't care about imperials, because I don't plan to play as one (they were boring in previous TESs for me), but I thought they were promising at some that in-game content wouldn't be sold.

EDIT: @FCqt: I don't think you'd know about how powerful the Imperial race will be in this game. My guess is that it would be full of unique bonuses and tower over everyone. Even the official preorder page says that they get unique bonuses and crafting, and they made clear that they have a mount that will be available from level 1 and be very fast to boot. I really didn't expect that race to get the "pay to play" treatment, but it did, and I'd imagine it would get the same treatment as most other "pay to play" races.

And that $60 is better spent on other stuff - ACIV for instance, but I can tell you plently of other examples.

Yea, unique bonuses like all the other racial have and every single race in every mmo have. The crafting I'm guessing it's just the ability to craft Imperial stylized armor and weapon just like you could craft them in Dumner or Nord style for example.  It would not make sense for them to design a total of 10 race to have that one race, which wasn't even supposed to be playable in the first hand, be the master race. Not sure about the horse and rings of mara but this game is not about who is the first to max level anyway.

It is an MMO... it has to pay the bills, and the main market is the casual players.. hence there will always be pay to win in MMO´s.

About wow... the fact that it is still running is not surprising... the fact that it still has a subscription fee is! It is really quite amazing that people want to pay monthly for it...

The reason other games like LOL, DOTA, PoE (Path of Exile) can offer their games for free is mainly because the actual cost of running shop and development of the product is quite a bit lower then for an MMO.

If ya want a good laugh at times you should try to find some game development forums, and see how many people want to create an MMO that "has crysis graphics, good meaningful RPG gameplay, etc". The responses from developers who have tried the same, or been part of MMO projects... etc. their responses are sometimes quite amusing.

I found this informative, and a bit funny! There are also others burried away in other forums I have stumbled upon but I do not really recall them in detail. Just the people who want to make an MMO, and people who criticize MMO´s in general have no idea on how vast a project it really is.

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/709760-How-to-make-an-MMO-in-UDK!

I found this informative' date=' and a bit funny! There are also others burried away in other forums I have stumbled upon but I do not really recall them in detail. Just the people who want to make an MMO, and people who criticize MMO´s in general have no idea on how vast a project it really is.

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/709760-How-to-make-an-MMO-in-UDK!

I know right?

Off topic by this point, I'd love to point out that I wish the original r&d team for WoW would go die in a hole. They b********** the franchise, ruined the lore from the games, and the companion books and practically ended Blizzards footprint in the RTS board. I mean it took them 10! YEARS! 10 to finish Starcraft 2 10! or better, because they diverted all their resources from their other projects such as Starcraft 2 (it wouldn't surprise me if they had a Warcraft 4 in development at one point) into WoW

I just got invited into the beta again. Not bothering this time. I admit I didn't make it out of the first area last time' date=' but the game just seemed unappealing, except for the graphics.[/quote']

Yeah, got invited too (which is weird since I never signed up for it) but I just gave the key to a friend. I could care less about this, until it crashes and burns and goes F2P at least :p

I got an invite again as well, last time I played for maybe 2 hours. Not because I wasn't interested but because I was too busy with other things.

I do have to say they are making good improvements from what I saw so... I'll probably give it a go this weekend again.