Backpack as container?

I've come back to Skyrim after a break, and of course nuked previous install from orbit and started again.  One mod I had particularly enjoyed on my previous run-through was FortuneQuackers Real Furbag Backpack Equippable Cointainer.  The mod is no longer available (Nexus thread here).  I have messaged the author to get update on situation.

This mod was a great boon for hardcore "realism".  Basically while you were adventuring, you could carry it through a dungeon, say, but if you anticipated a fight, you could put it on the ground, and it would thereby lower your encumbrance in one simple move, which helped with mods that had encumbrance affect stamina.  So the idea is that you're an adventurer with limited strength, and while you can hoard stuff in your backpack and cart it through a dungeon, you can't fight with it on, and have to put it down.  The mod also came with a nifty map marker so you could put it down, grab stuff, put it in the bag, adventure further, and easily re-find where the backpack was.  Again, only for hardcore "realism" junkies.

It amazes me that this is the only mod to do this, and I was wondering why "realism" modders hadn't explored the idea before.  Is it just too tricky to implement in Skyrim?

Also, as can be seen, I was discussing the matter with the author, and talking about going a bit further with the idea (i.e. while wearing the bag, items go not "into" your body but "into" the backpack itself, so notionally the only weight that's "in" your body is the weight of your clothes and weapons that you are using, everything else being assigned to the container that you are carrying, the total weight of which is then "in" you, only when you are carrying it).

Would also appreciate a quick brain dump from anyone knowledgeable about the state of "realism" mods in Skyrim, how they interact with STEP, future ideas for STEP and realism mods, etc., as this is one of my main areas of interest in terms of modding, and my thoughts on future modding ideas revolve around this.

I moved the thread to a more appropriate forum. Mods forum is for specific mod suggestions. This sounds like a Realism Pack discussion thread :) If it evolves in this way, we can move it to Packs forums. For now let it sit here.

I must say I am a fan of moderate realism. Whilst I enjoy a more realistic game experience, I do not want the FUN to be spoiled by too many tedious mods. I used to use ones where your movement speed depends on the weight you carry, but stuff like that only gets annoying after a while.

I understand what you mean, and for me the problem is solved neatly by MO. I have an ongoing game that's full realism, realtime, etc., etc., where every moment is "precious" and it's not so much a game as a fantasy sim. This is fantastic for immersion in small doses, and the game is progressing at a crawl, but it's great to dip into now and then, nothing quite like it. But most of my MO profiles are more "gamey" - i.e. where one just wants to get on and progress.

But I do find it interesting as an exercise to see how far one can push the realism. In a sense, the ideal would be a game that's exactly like real life in all aspects (so you know the "rules of the game" as it were), except it's extended into fantasy, s-f, whatever, but with each of these having consistent rules, and rules consistent with the real world as we know it. And of course, everything somewhat time-compressed and space-compressed (e.g. you don't want absolute real time, you want it somewhat compressed, same with space).

But the "rules" should be same as real life (e.g. with the bag thing) so that things behave as one would expect them to in real life (fantasy things working with fantasy logic, all things being equal).