OBSE will not load when launching with MO

DiscipleDarkfriend

Question

Hello all you wonderful people :)

I am hoping that someone may know what is causing the issue I am having. When I launch Oblivion steam goty edition OBSE does not load and my mods just spam me with you need OBSE, If I launch the game standard through steam OBSE works fine.

In game community is on in steam but does not show in game, I have tried changing load mechanisms as well still no help >.< I can't run Oblivion though MO atm and would really like to get to the bottom of this. Please and Thank you in advance

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

@delta9857, I didn't intend for you to downgrade, that was just the last time I used MO with Oblivion. When time permits I will upgrade and test v1.2.18 and the new 1.3.3 beta.

That's ok, when you mentioned it worked for you on the earlier version I decided to give it a go just out of curiosity. Seeing as it seems to be working fine at the moment I'm more than happy to stay on an older version of MO

Gotta thank you guys for an incredibly informative thread. I have been playin' all my ES adventures on XBox - so, yeah...lotsa vanilla. Got a new comp and desided to revisit my favs on my own terms - via modding the poop outta them.

I'm still very new at this - had to reinstall three times this week already (my OCD sometimes gets over ridden by my ADD an' I muck something up) So far MO seems to help me a bit with that :P , but, yeah, was really struggling with this issue...

...one question: I was noticing before my last meltdown that my OBSE pluggins would load, in the vanilla loading data files section, but I didnt see the other mods installed via MO - are they still there and my OCD is making me paranoid, or did my ADD miss the way this is supposed to work?

edit: srry - it's the other way 'round...my other mods show, but my OBSE stuff is MIA - same question applies tho...still loading and runnin'?

Also, something new with the loading set up you talked about (script loader)...I run Steam from MO and it runs Steam start up and goes straight to TESIV:Oblivion...neat!

Edited by loneyukon

I don't know his reason but when I was taking a second look at using mo in the guide, there are so many work arounds that defeat the purpose of mo.

I couldn't actually get obse and the vfs to work at all.

If you are starting out, use wb because if you backup the data folder and install it as the first mod, wb works pretty well.

Sorry for the offtopic, but why did you stop using Mod Organizer?

If this was directed at me, I haven't stopped using MO. I just do not play Oblivion. I purchased it to test with MO. I still use MO for Skyrim and both Fallout games.

heres what I told grant

yea... ok so theres a problem

The problem isnt OBSE with this method because OBSE will always hook with steam.

The issue lies with MO's vfs because it isnt hooking like it should.

He probably installed the mod manually in the data folder.

All I used to test was alternate beginnings and installed it in MO.

If you launch Oblivion(no OBSE) then alternate start works like normal and complains about how OBSE wasnt detected.

If you launch it via steam then Alternate beginnings doesnt work because if it was active, it would start you in a different location.

Also, if you open the console, you can confirm that OBSE is working as intended

I can help with some WyreBash Installer stuff but its mostly straight forward.

I also want to say this again, back up your Data folder and install it as a mod and if you clean any esp, copy that esp and place it in a project after the original mod.

1R816En

If you want to edit inis in a mod, unpack it and edit the inis in the installer.

1R811R2

Doing it that way seems to work pretty well.

Im constantly installing and uninstalling stuff for the guide and it works pretty good.

@Hishy, don't bother answering my PM, just post here. I see you've used the same wording in your post as the PM.

I need to get this absolutely clear in my own mind because the wiki needs to have some clear description of EXACTLY what is and isn't happening with OBSE and a Steam install.

Using the method @GSDFan outlined in the Bug Genie:

The script extender for Oblivion works differently than the ones for Skyrim and Fallout. OBSE must be launched from Steam and not from Mod Organizer. 

The proper way to run oblivion is to go to the options, workaround tab and set the "Load Mechanism" to Script extender. OK out of the options and close MO so it can write files to the Oblivion folder. 

From now on the user will have to mod in MO and run the game from Steam. 

The user can install a mod that will report if OBSE is installed and working. It is called OBSE Test Plugin. Nexus number 33574.

1. Does TES4 start from MO and recognise ALL mods?
  2. Are there any mods that refuse to recognise OBSE called from MO in that way?
  3. Does installing ALL OBSE mods into the Data folder manually fix this issue?

I can't help but think you have "royally mucked something up".  ::D:

I would love to try and debug what your doing but to be honest, I think both of us are kind of unfocussed on this at the moment, maybe we can come back to this at a later stage?

I don't know what it was, but there seemed to be a small upward trend in Oblivion related comments in the forum just lately, maybe users wanted to go back and enjoy a 'free from user-pay mods' experience and then found they actually liked that game.

Thought I would give you guys a year later update

Downloaded steam version of GOTY oblivion onto a recently cleaned SSD drive. Downloaded Mod Organizer 1.3.11

Downloaded OBSE 21 into my oblivion folder properly, it works when you run oblivion through steam. (shift-tab works fine)

Set mod organizer to use script extender as a load mechanism.

On Mod Organizer, Run oblivion through the executable that uses steam.exe file path as a binary and -applaunch 22330 as an argument: Hook.dll is generated in OBSE plugins folder.

...and CTD.  If I try to run Oblivion through steam(without involving MO) again it still CTDs.

But if I delete hook.dll from the OBSE plugins folder and try to run Oblivion through steam(without involving MO) it works again. 

Earlier in this thread it is suggested that you download MO 1.2.14 and try that. It has the same issue.

Thought I would give you guys a year later update

Downloaded steam version of GOTY oblivion onto a recently cleaned SSD drive. Downloaded Mod Organizer 1.3.11

Downloaded OBSE 21 into my oblivion folder properly, it works when you run oblivion through steam. (shift-tab works fine)

Set mod organizer to use script extender as a load mechanism.

On Mod Organizer, Run oblivion through the executable that uses steam.exe file path as a binary and -applaunch 22330 as an argument: Hook.dll is generated in OBSE plugins folder.

...and CTD. If I try to run Oblivion through steam(without involving MO) again it still CTDs.

But if I delete hook.dll from the OBSE plugins folder and try to run Oblivion through steam(without involving MO) it works again.

Earlier in this thread it is suggested that you download MO 1.2.14 and try that. It has the same issue.

After reading this post I think i figured out what I was lacking.

If you are curious about what I did...

5geXle8.png

E0cY4B6.png

This time I used the obse0021 AND the latest loader which, was probably part of the issue

Now I gotta test DLLs but its late and the plugin I used to check may or may not had a dll.

Nice prompt response!

What do you mean by Latest loader?

I added a "start in" path that lead to my oblivion folder  in my SSD to the executable, otherwise everything i've got looks the same as what you have in the pictures. No luck.