OBSE will not load when launching with MO

DiscipleDarkfriend

Question

Hello all you wonderful people :)

I am hoping that someone may know what is causing the issue I am having. When I launch Oblivion steam goty edition OBSE does not load and my mods just spam me with you need OBSE, If I launch the game standard through steam OBSE works fine.

In game community is on in steam but does not show in game, I have tried changing load mechanisms as well still no help >.< I can't run Oblivion though MO atm and would really like to get to the bottom of this. Please and Thank you in advance

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for the feedback. I did a quick check on the issue tracker and frond issue 303 Oblivion Script Extender Plugins not recognized, which is still open.

Issue description

The MO virtual directory for OBSE plugins seems to be broken. I'm running Sneaking Detection Recalibrated which requires an OBSE plugin. Problem is, when installed in the virtual directory via MO, it does not get recognized. I have to move it to the actual directory. I don't know about other plugins, but my guess is there's a problem with the "OBSE/Plugins" virtual directory.

Comment posted by

Tannin

Aug 08, 20:50

This is a known, unfixable problem if you're using "Script Extender" as the Load Mechanism. Is this the case?

There are other comments in that issue thread and it doesn't look like the non steam version will function.

Hi, I did a little searching around and found by running obse_loader.exe in a command prompt with -h brings up help with some command line options. I posted them in the spoiler. Maybe these will be of some use to creating a shortcut in MO or outside of MO with the non Steam version.

I got this from this post.

[spoiler=obse loader command line options]

usage: obse_loader [options]

options:

-h, -help - print this options list

-editor - launch the construction set

-old - load oldblivion

-priority - set the launched program's priority

above_normal

below_normal

high

idle

normal

realtime

-altexe - set alternate exe path

-altdll - set alternate dll path

-notimeout - wait forever for oblivion to launch

this overrides the default five second timeout

-crconly - just print the crc of the EXE, don't launch anything

-nosync - WARNING: USING THIS OPTION MAY CAUSE BUGS AND OTHER RANDOM BEHAVIOR

disable synchronization when injecting the dll

this is only intended as a compatibility hack for WINE

-waitforclose - wait for the launched program to close

designed for use with AlacrityPC and similar

-oldinject - use the original injection method for the editor

I hope this helps.

Creating the additional MO shortcut with the steam appID is unnecessary. The only thing you need to do is the workaround to load MO via script extender (this places a hook.dll and mo_path.txt in your Data\OBSE\plugins folder once you close MO after selecting it).

The way OBSE works with steam is not the same as SKSE. You don't load the game with obse_loader.exe. As long as the obse_steam_loader.dll is present in the oblivion folder, just launching Oblivion is sufficient and will automatically load OBSE (source is the OBSE readme, which I finally read after much frustration). It is true though, that MO will not use OBSE plugins unless they're copied into the actual Data\OBSE\plugins folder versus trying to install them with MO.

I also found that version 1.0.11 of MO will not hook into the oblivion.exe and CTDs on startup no matter what. I reverted to version 0.12.6 and that seemed to resolve the issue.

Azum, thanks for the information.

You said:

The way OBSE works with steam is not the same as SKSE. You don't load the game with obse_loader.exe. As long as the obse_steam_loader.dll is present in the oblivion folder, just launching Oblivion is sufficient and will automatically load OBSE (source is the OBSE readme, which I finally read after much frustration). It is true though, that MO will not use OBSE plugins unless they're copied into the actual Data\OBSE\plugins folder versus trying to install them with MO.

While this is true it also disables the Steam community and you have to manually install mods to the vanilla game data directory.

The solution I presented in post 8 had to address two requests from the opening post. These were to get OBSE to function properly and to have the Steam in game overlay and community be available while the game was running. The only way I could find to do that was to use the Steam shortcut with the "-applaunch 22330" argument. If you have a different way to do that then can you share it with us.

This solution also has the added benefit allowing profile switching and keeping the vanilla game directory clean, which is why we use MO.

Again, thanks for the information. More information is better than no information at all.

Azum, thanks for the information.

You said:

While this is true it also disables the Steam community and you have to manually install mods to the vanilla game data directory.

The solution I presented in post 8 had to address two requests from the opening post. These were to get OBSE to function properly and to have the Steam in game overlay and community be available while the game was running. The only way I could find to do that was to use the Steam shortcut with the "-applaunch 22330" argument. If you have a different way to do that then can you share it with us.

This solution also has the added benefit allowing profile switching and keeping the vanilla game directory clean, which is why we use MO.

Again, thanks for the information. More information is better than no information at all.

Maybe something has changed then, because it's not disabling it for me. Using the method I described, I'm using MO with a clean Oblivion Data folder (minus the OBSE plugins I did manually copy) and my steam community overlay is working, as are the mods that rely on OBSE. I'm using obse v.0021. If I had to manually install mods there wouldn't be much point in using MO. Even using your method, if I don't manually copy the OBSE plugins to the real Data folder, they don't load.

I'm not sure if switching profiles would work though. Maybe that is a good reason to use your shortcut. I'll have to test that out.

I also found that copying the hook.dll from version 0.12.6 of MO and replacing it in version 1.0.11 of MO fixes the CTD when it tries to hook into oblivion.exe which allows you to use all the current features of 1.0.11 MO and Oblivion.

Thanks to all who posted for this info. It definitely helped me get MO, OBSE, and all my mods working with Oblivion.

In my own experience, I noticed that while launching from within MO using the Steam applaunch shortcut, OBSE would run but no other dll in the /OBSE/plugin directory seems to run. For example, I kept getting error messages in game from the MiniMap mod that MenuQue was not initialized. When I copied all the appropriate contents into the actual /OBSE/plugin directory and launched the game outside of MO (with the script extension hook.dll activated) everything works as expected.

I still prefer using MO (and OBMM within MO) to install my mods, and now that everything works it is (for me) really just a very minor issue.

Edit: forgot to say that I am currently using MO beta 1.1

Sorry to necro this old thread, but I've been struggling with what I think is the same problem. I've tried the fix outlined by GSDFan but the game seems to crash every time I set the load mechanism to Script Extender. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? If there's any more info I need to provide let me know.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I was referring to post 8. I just tried launching the game normally with steam (not through MO) but it still crashes when Script Extender is set in the workarounds tab. The game runs fine without this set, but no mods seem to work. I've also installed OBSE and any plugins manually and not through MO.

I'm currently using 1.3.2. I just downloaded 1.2.14 and the game didn't crash when I followed the steps in post 8. I'm going to download some mods now to see if they work. I'll edit this post shortly with my results!

EDIT: Success! I just installed a main menu replacement mod and it worked! Something in the later versions of MO must have been causing the problems I was having, so I'll just stick with 1.2.14 for now. Thanks for your help GSDFan, I've been struggling with this problem all week!

Edited by delta9857