DDSopt Question

Deathwing514

Question

Dear STEP community,

I have some questions regarding DDSopt and would like some help.

My first question is:

Does DDSopt in any way reduce texture quality or does it only improve my vram usage?

Second question:

After following the DDSopt guide step by step, will the three archives that I installed in wrye bash overwrite the BSA textures that I DDSopted? or do I need to delete the BSA files in the data folder after I finished installing the three archives?

Third and final question:

If DDSopt does indeed reduce texture quality, does the DDSopt guide on the wiki already implement the option to not reduce the quality but still increase my vram usage?

Any help will be much appreciated

3 answers to this question

DDSopt does not reduce quality using the settings recommended in the guide. As the intro in the guide states, DDSopt ensures proper compression and gets rid of redundancies. There is no reason NOT to use it, and this optimization is furthermore a standard applied by texture artists that know what they are doing before even posting their mods onto the Nexus. For example, SRO effectively is already optimized in the same manner out of the box (whether or not DDSopt was used to accomplish this or simply the author having created the proper mips and final compression format based upon the texture content).

You will save VRAM in the end without quality loss (with exceptions as noted in the guide)