DLC Wiki leads to CTD causing .bsa files

seekles

Question

I've been playing Skyrim for a while now in it's vanilla glory (I prefer to play games vanilla) but ran in to a number of disturbing resolution problems so I thought about installing the highrespackages finally. To do this properly I found your nice STEP project and tried to execute everything described in it.

This led to Skyrim actually CTD-ing directly after it went fullscreen (so before the Bethesda logo pops up).

After a day of testing I came to the following conclusion:

Using a clean install of Steam and Skyrim following the STEP DLC section described to the letter leads to two HighResTexturePack0x.bsa files being created that will cause a CTD on startup of Skyrim. Running the system with vanilla steam downloaded HighRes files will work like a charm however.

Now the only issue I ran into was 4 placeholder files copy exceptions during the unpacking of the HighRes files but since these files do not seem to be needed as they are removed by the .bat file I do not see why that could cause the error.

The only other oddity I face is that allowing TESV.exe to run as administrator puts you in a launcher and Win7 allowance loop (hitting play in the launcher, generates the Win7 security question you need to OK which then again starts the launcher, etc) thought his happens when using vanilla and adapted HighRes files

Anyone has a clue to what is happening here or is there an error in the DLC section's text?

I'll see if I can free some time from gaming and that general thing I try to maintain next to it called life to see if it is worthwhile to overhaul some other pieces of text.

Can you or better do you want to create a table structure to clean things up and make it more readable. You could cast everything in a procedure mold then, will make it a lot more easier for "stupid" people (a.k.a. me) to execute the plan and owners to maintain it.

Yeah I thought about doing that but if I included every little step then the whole doc become tl;dr.

I think what I'm gonna do is make little procedures like the one you just provided and take a snapshot and link them as thumbnails. Maybe with a few additional screenshots of the more confusing steps. And then way down the line a little video tutorial. I had been waiting for the guide to achieve a more complete and bug free stage so I don't have to update the graphics evey time a procedure changes.

Alternately we could try and implement some spoiler tags in the wiki but I don't really see that flying.

Anyway help is always welcome, we have a policy of lots of helpful posts and participation on the bbs before we grant wiki editing rights, and you my good man are on the fast track.

Okay, I had a look yesterday while trying to get NMM to download and install the first Mod in the STEP guide, cause it happily kept crashing on the last 1% of the download I got enough time in.

I noticed that the step we discussed in this mail is listed in the wiki page but not in the STEP manual itself. I assume this is cause the HighRes mod makes that step of the wiki obsolete but I couldn't find out for sure.

If I run in this kind of things where best to raise these questions and if I am allowed to make some small images which format would you prefer (cause you're right that two lines of text and one image of how BSAOpt should have looked like in this thread would have been enough).

All in I think I found some points I could clarify for the manual and I'll see if I can put in some time the next 10 days. I'll put it in .doc format.

That reminds me, when is the new version coming out (I prefer not to do things double :p) and what you prefer me to check first STEP .pdf guide or the wiki page? In my opinion these two could best be merged btw.

Also this might sound stupid but is there a .doc version somewhere or (.odt if that suits you, not to hard to install Ooo again)?

The Skyrim Installation Wiki is now a required preliminary part of STEP. The new STEP pdf has been completely reformatted and mostly rewritten already, all we need to do now remove a few mods and get a nice spreadsheet of all included mods and their data finished and imported into the pdf.

So concentrate on the wiki as the pdf is rewritten already, except for the notes and compilers advice, those still need work.

As far as format we are trying to standardize on opendoc and we are using google docs and dropbox for collaboration. Use this link to sign up for dropbox to give us more free space.

@frishyland

I'm retyping the DLC wiki and noticed that after step 3 you cut out a large part of the text. Could you please fix this so I can continue. Also I would like to point out again that the Wiki and STEP guide contradict themselves on the need of fixing the HRDLC since in the guide you do deactivate the HRDLC mods int he first steps.

@frishyland

I'm retyping the DLC wiki and noticed that after step 3 you cut out a large part of the text. Could you please fix this so I can continue. Also I would like to point out again that the Wiki and STEP guide contradict themselves on the need of fixing the HRDLC since in the guide you do deactivate the HRDLC mods int he first steps.

Why are you retyping? In any case the steps have been taken down due to the mod authors wishes, they will not be restored until we resolve the issue or remake the mod in question. As far as STEP could you point out the exact lines in the guide and the wiki that contradict, we will make any necessary adjustments.

Ehhh.... you realize that the DLC Wiki is useless now don't you, it request you to unpack the fix files into a directory and them immediately delete that directory in the next step.

I'm retyping it cause you asked me to look into the Wiki (see previous posts) and I think it could use some clarification for the noob user.

As it stands now there is no conflict anymore cause well, the Wiki is not useable atm to install DLC.

Ehhh.... you realize that the DLC Wiki is useless now don't you, it request you to unpack the fix files into a directory and them immediately delete that directory in the next step.

I'm retyping it cause you asked me to look into the Wiki (see previous posts) and I think it could use some clarification for the noob user.

As it stands now there is no conflict anymore cause well, the Wiki is not useable atm to install DLC.

The first line in the section already says that "This section is currently broken just use the Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized as described in the last step"