Skylight ENB

Aiyen

I'm fairly certain (haven't been using an ENB for a bit) that you decrease the values, since I believe the values you are editing are controlling the strength of the effect, and not the direct amount of light.

Suspected this might be the case... thanks for the confirmation.

If I recall correctly, you have to make the changes, then save the changes then hit apply changes. Been a while since I've had to tweak an ENB with anything other than a DOF toggle, so I'm not 100% on that.

Again, something I suspected, but was unable to verify (likely due to the above...). Thanks to you both.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First just try to alter the Exposure Scale and threshold values.. they work very intuitively, and are set to work with computer monitors. Increasing the scale will make everything brighter. And is probably the better solutions for TV´s... sadly I do not have a TV myself to test on so I have never updated the guide for people with that kind of setup. 

If it starts to get too washed out then reduce the Scale a bit and then alter the Adap Max and Min values. 

The reason they work sort of counter intuitively is because they work a bit differently depending on if it is day or night/interior. 

However if you just scale them up to extreme values you should not be in doubt about which way to go. 

In all cases you will see the changes as you alter them.. when you are happy you just hit save and close the GUI, and the values will be used from that point onward. 

Hope that helps otherwise just post again and I will help some more. Also thanks for making me aware that stuff is still a bit confusing! 

THanks for that... I'll work with it a little later. Although I should point out what you just said is kind of counter to what your read me said... at least, what *I* got out of it so far as which settings to mess with.

However if you just scale them up to extreme values you should not be in doubt about which way to go. 

Most epic understatement ever. Of all time. :)

New question for you. Noticed that the ENB has a 'fishbowl' effect going on. I'm assuming that's intended, but it's a little strong for my tastes. Didn't see a setting for it, but with the horde of them I'm seeing, I could have easilly missed it. Gotta map for me? :)

Edited by Shadriss

Thanks for pointing that out for me! 

The readme is rather outdated... I guess I should have that removed since the actual guide contain all the information and more anyways. Actually thought I did that already... 

In short there are only four values 

Exposure Scale

Exposure Threshold

Adap Min 

Adap Max

Between those you can control overall brightness very accurately. 

The first two are the most simple to adjust, and I would suggest that one tweak those before the others. However as you make stuff brighter then you will also alter how when adaptation kicks in, hence it might be required to adjust the other two as well. 

I guess I overall should make a much more rephrased section in the guide about how to do this next time I write a revision of it. 

Thanks again, and I hope I helped you out in an understandable way! :) 

OK, so a new question...

Since I've installed this ENB, I've noticed that once every hour or so when I change locations I'll get a massive FPS drop. It's easilly cleared by doing the Alt-Tab dance, but I'd much rather find a way to make the un-needed. A friend of mine is seeing this as well, though his seems to do so much more often. I'm assuming this is somehow memory related, but any insight would be helpful.

The guides are in the download section. 

As for he fps drop... then this have been an issue for years as I recall with nobody really figuring out why. Most often it tends to be related to using windowed mode mods etc. at least that is what I recall. I have not heard about the issue for a long time so kinda thought it had phased out or people found ways to deal with it. 

Thanks for pointing me at this one, Aiyen...

I did have one question, though (duplicated from my original question thread, so you can ignore that one now that I found this one... Eye Usage FTW).

I use my 60" TV as my computer monitor, and my living room is just festooned with windows, which means I am in a room with a large amount of normal ambient light during day light hours. This has meant that the lower light levels in your preset are too dark to trully navigate aorund with. I messed with the settings you mentioned in the Readme on Nexus, but either I'm misunderstanding it, or the way the numbers work is counter-intuitive. I altered the interior min and max upwards by .15 each (min .300, max .345), and hit apply changes in the ENB menu. If anything, the room got darker. I tried some similar changes outside, altering both day and night min/max levels, and saw no real change.

Advice?

It depends on the actual value. For example all "curve" values are like contrast, so by increasing it you actually making the blacks darker (sorry, Photoshop jargon kicks in automatically), and by decreasing it you reduce contrast, and hence make the blacks lighter.

Somer other value (intensity perhaps? I cannot recall now, it's been a while...) correspond to the actual brightness level and by increasing it you will make everything lighter. 

Then you have different type of lighting that ENB affects (ambient, point etc.). 

I'm currently at work and busy, but when I get a spare moment I'll download Skylight ENB from Nexus and post some more info for ya what to tinker with.

• 4 weeks later...
Okay update time is near! :o 

The next major update is underway... I have currently more or less finished overhauling the interiors in terms of bloom, since it was just too inconsistent as it was. Also I have added a new weather group for CoT since it had a selection of clear weahers that just had too many visual artifacts with the sun relative to the majority. 

Also finished up a weather for blackreach. 

Currently I am in the process of making my own DoF shader... since I have realized that the general image when using skylight is a bit of a mess between the soft glow of the bloom and the super sharpness of not having it. A faint DoF would help smooth out those differences a bit. 
Ofc. it is going to be super performance freindly and not really as fancy and advanced as some of the others out there, since I essentially only want a really faint blur on the parts not in focus to help smooth out the transitions, and fix a few flickering issues with the bloom (That are sadly outside of my scope to fix other then reducing intensity which would remove the effect entirely.)

I am also in the process of making all the fancy stuff for the description page so that it will finally look attractive. Trying to make some screenarcher screenshots etc. Since it is my impression that a lot of people check out the page, but not that many download it. Guessing they just look at the shots and then move on! So I want to do something about that. 

That was it for now! If anyone has any further suggestions then I am all ears! 
Other then that, then have a good day! 

What are "extreme" peformance options for this ENB? 

If attempting to use the Vanilla version, not using a lighting overhaul.

And also, where can I find the 0.250 version of ENB? On the website, I can find version 0.261 and the one before that is listed as 0.236.

Edited by Halde

Wooo feedback! :) 

Yes interiors are getting a major overhaul for the next update... was just not good in a rather large amount of locations. The bloom was a bit too intense which caused washout of the details. But found an .... error in my shader which I just fixed. And already things are a little better overall I think. 

Halde: The default settings are set for the best performance/quality ratio ENB can bring. If you want more performance then that then you are going to have to disable effects manually specifically SSAO. I have not tested interiors without ELE image spaces installed as a minimum, but feel free to try out just using without. 

Also both the description page and the installation guide says to always get the latest version unless otherwise stated! 261 will work just fine at least I am using it atm

Edit: Ever since Gopher did a review ages ago where he somehow managed to read "Will not work well with ENB versions before 236" as ... use v.236" which then caused everything to just look wrong I only explicitly say that people should use the latest version! :) 

You can use any ENB version for any preset.. but if one is made for a different version it will not look as the author intended since certain features etc might be disabled. Same goes the other way.. if you try to use one made without newer features and those become enabled then it will also look off, since the default values are almost never a good match.  Also the older the versions the more bugs and lack of optimization is present.