BSAopt/DDSopt/HD Textures

Pyro2008

Question

If someone would be so kind as to read the details below of what I have done and tell me if my steps sound correct. I am having some crash/freezing issues and it's tough trying to troubleshoot with so many mods, not even being sure if the mods are the problem. On a side note, I have uninstalled all mods not recommended by this guide.

Using the S.TE.P. guide, I was going to use the Hi-Res DLC Optimized pack with a hybrid but then read about DDSopt. Though, I am still a little confused.

I ran a clean install via steam files, which either already had or auto downloaded the official HD DLC. Once installed, I used the following guide ( https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_Installation#DLC ).

From step 7 of the above guide, I switched to the DDSopt Optimization section of the following guide (https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls). From step 7 of this new guide is where I started to get confused.

What I did was repackage each folder (3) into their own archives then installed them via NMM. First, I installed the Skyrim - Textures (STD) archive, then the Skyrim - HRDLC1 and finally Skyrim - HRDLC2, each time overwriting any files from the previous. In addition, I unchecked the HD DLC items from the load order.

So first, is the above correct? I wasn't sure what to do with the STD textures. Should I have deleted the STD bsa and or the HD bsa files?

Second, following the above procedures means I do not need the Hi-Res DLC Optimized from the STEP guide, correct?

After installing the noted STD and HD archives above, I continued with the STEP guide from B1 Skyrim Realistic Overhaul. I followed every other STEP instruction to the letter from there. The only other exceptions I made was to any mods listed with a green FPS indication; I still downloaded the highest resolution texture available taking into consideration STEP notes.

Going through the install, I had a handful of mods that did not overwrite the same files indicated in the STEP guide. Some mods either overwrote different files altogether while other mods just didnt indicate overwriting anything. I did make absolutely sure that every mod was setup correctly with its install structure. Although, I did repackage everything so that I could still install all mods via NMM, making sure to keep the install order the same.

Finally, I ran the newest beta release of Optimizer Textures with the suggested settings. Also, I have tried the game with and without this optimizer, both freeze. I wasn't sure if using this was redundant after having used DDSopt. I pointed to my main install folder, so if anything it might have attempted further optimization of the STD and HD textures. That said, the optimizer only ran for about 60 minutes give or take, very quick considering what I was expecting but I did change the process priority to realtime.

The game appears to load fine and I am able to start a new game. However, by the time the horse and carriage reaches town, the game has usually locked up. About 80% of the time the game locks on the ride to town. The rest of the time I am able to make it through but the game eventually locks at some point most of the time.

Additionally, loading an older save sometimes has the game stuck in a loop on the loading screen. If the game does load from an older save, it will typically freeze within a few minutes. I am NOT trying to troubleshoot an old save though, with so many mods I assumed I would need to start over.

No wrappers and FRAPS is off.

Rig:

i7 950 OC to 4.2Ghz

6GB DDR3

Crucial 256GB M4 SSD

2x 580 GTX SLI EVGA

Windows 7 64Bit Pro

UAC Off + Steam installed to C:/Games

Windows 7 65 Pro

Thanks for any help that can be provided and let me say the STEP guide is AWESOME! Thanks for putting the time and effort into it.

6 answers to this question

First off, Vano89's "optimized" textures is fine to include over the top of the DDS-opted textures. You simply know now that all underlying vanilla textures not overwritten later on are optimized.

No need to delete anything if you are ultimately placing loose textures into the skyrim\data directory. These will override all else. You have correctly placed the three DDSopt-ed packs into the skyrim/data directory, as long as you did STD first. HRDLCs will overwrite this, but they should not have any overlap with EACH OTHER if you followed SIG-DLC and used the bat.

Crashes are likely due to INI settings or ENB/RCRN issues. Try disabling those and renaming your skyrim INIs.

Visit the troubleshooting guide in the wiki dropdown up top and don't forget to report back if you find out what went wrong.

thanks

Download GPU-Z and tell us what your memory size is listed as, now click sensors tab, and check the log to file box, save it somewhere you can find it like your desktop. Now leave that running and play Skyrim, start a new game and watch the intro sequence in the cart and exit after the dragon saves you, now take a look at gpu-z and see what your highest memory used reading is and also the average memory use. You can also examine the log for second by second listing of all used resources.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Can I take it that you recommend still using the optimized textures by Vano then? Installing STD -> HD DLC 1 -> HD DLC 2 -> Vano Optimized.

My main reason for questioning deleting files was mostly due to STD. Since there is no load option to disable, I wondered if having the files in data was redundant and possibly causing unnecessary overhead.

I will mess around with RCRN tonight and see if that fixes the issue. I forgot to mention that I had already tried stock ini setting with no further luck. I will also visit the troubleshooting guide. There is also a sound tweak I want to try but consider I can run vanilla fine, I doubt it will be the issue.

One other question, is there any need to edit the ini with the two entries for the HD DLC as some mods suggest? My thought, since the HD DLC is now in the data folder, the edit is not necessary.

Edit:

Will do, thanks frihyland.

Only need to add HD DLC to inis if you have as bsa files and do not want to load via esp in load order.

So if you have installed loose files then can use normal ini and untick two HD DLC esp files

Thanks!

Well, I found the issue. It was a goof up on my part. I was repacking everything into archives that would work with NMM and I guess I downloaded extended slider colors and labeled it incorrectly so it wasnt showing in NMM properly.

That said, it was my intention to use the mod. The only thing I wanted was fair skin for high elves, anyone know an alternate to achieve this?