aMidianBorn Landscape by CaBaL

DoYouEvenModBro

• 2 weeks later...

Having enjoyed BoS and Caves and Mines I installed this pack a few game-hours ago, overly a mostly-STEP install. (I did not install Skyrim Realistic Overhaul, Skyrim HD, or Skyrim Flora Overhaul for various reasons. Otherwise pretty much STEP textures.) I like Amidianborn Landscape a lot! I just looked up this thread to see if there had been any problems found, and I don't see any mention, so I guess I'll keep it. Thanks CaBal and everyone!

edit: one nice thing I noticed right away was a big reduction in tiling when looking down on landscapes in the middle distance. Nicely done. On the other hand some of the ground and rock textures are a little dark. This is mostly a matter of taste, and in the rain it looks perfect, but in some places it looks too dark. For example around Bonestrewn crest the dark ground makes the light-rimmed hot spring pools (which are very well done by themselves) look out of place. Just my $0.02 - still overall an improvement over vanilla. I'm using 1024k pack.

i'm glad you like this release mtar... and must say that you're right about rocks and mountains, in some enviroment condition are indeed dark...i'll fix the problem, not today, but soon.

i'm really obsessed by tiling/pattern effect...hate it, future updates will work in this direction, trying to reduce the effect even more, there's clearly much to do... particularry grass does not satisfy me completely at the moment, also snow needs imo an improvement.

thanks for the feedback

• +1 1

We actually haven't tested this mod properly yet and we are spread thin right now, so we will get to it soon I hope. Someone marked this mod as accepted thinking it was the Solsthiem Lannscape mod that we added in 2.2.8. Eventually I will get to it if someone else does not.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of the textures in this mod I would consider "stylistic" changes which doesn't meet Core or Extended Mandate. They are CaBaL's interpretation of vanilla as far as I can tell. This interpretation is much "cleaner" than vanilla. It's not bad, that's not what I'm saying. Most the textures are well done. I'm simply saying it may not be for STEP.

What STEP texture mods are you guys replacing this with?

We actually haven't tested this mod properly yet and we are spread thin right now' date=' so we will get to it soon I hope. Someone marked this mod as accepted thinking it was the Solsthiem Lannscape mod that we added in 2.2.8. Eventually I will get to it if someone else does not.[/quote']
Testing this mod will be a massive undertaking. There will have to be a ton of screens comparing it to what is already in STEP. Those that are in STEP took a long time to get there, so patience and proper screens.

• 3 weeks later...

After trying this out in-game for a while, I have to say that the only textures that seem okay for me were some of the ground textures such as the road and tundra areas. I didn't care for the "mossy grass" next the the rivers as they seemed to have some noticeable repeating patterns in some areas which grabbed your attention; thus, distracting you from exploring. The Tundra and Road textures I did like. They seemed to fit in well with the other mods and landscape.

I tested this in two different positions in my install order. The first was at the bottom, allowing it to overwrite everything...not so good. i then tested it installed directly after SFO. This allowed the mod to mesh much better into the current STEP:Extended setup. My final opinion is that the textures are well done; however, I'm not fully convinced it fits into the STEP install well.

Oh I'm sure CaBaL will get it eventually, even if it takes a few constructive criticisms or suggestions (not that he has to change anything) he's usually open to input, once he's been given some... and some time.

As I said I love the rocks and the mountains (though I don't think he's retextured the tallest mountains or maybe he's only done cliffs?)

• 3 months later...

This mod needs a proper retesting since it was updated a few times since the last few screen shots where only bridges and roads were in it. If someone wants to take on the task of updating with lots of shots go ahead otherwise we need to move on. 

• 8 months later...

I'm currently running this with my STEP:Core/RealVision Hybrid. This mod adds a bit of landscape blending that without it seems to leave the terrain a bit bare around roads and other differing textures. And as with all of Cabal's mods, they look fantastic and have a minimal to no performance hit.

Edit: My apologies. I really need to pay attention to the last post date before posting. I was looking to suggest this for STEP:2.2.9.1 or 2.3 and did a search before starting a new thread.

G6VCRl4.jpgR6o6WK5.jpgeJiWoWb.jpg

Edited by Vexzarium

This mod has lots of textures. It's going to require a nice thorough evaluation. I'd say that we need at least 30 compares. I keep saying that I'll do it, but I never do... maybe tonight... but don't hold your breath :whistling:

I will say that I have used the latest version enough to know that it has come a long way from the first version. Cabal wasn't really my favorite landscape artist when he first started doing those mods, but you can see how he has honed his skill and improved all his landscapes over time.