• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Brujah

Brujah

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hi guys, had a quick search through the forums, but don't see anyone else asking about this. It might be that it's been going on for so long it's common knowledge what the deal is, but, common knowledge ain't my knowledge in this case, so...

...could someone tell me what the score is with this Skyrim Realistic Overhaul mod? I tried to click the link in the STEP guide and my ISP fired up a page saying the link was blocked due to Copyright infringement. The mod is also currently disabled on the Nexus.

Do I -have- to install this as part of the STEP process, or can I skip it, seeing as it seems kinda shady?

Staff Comment:
Please do not post any links here to the any other sources for this mod. The STEP Staff provides a torrent link which has been tested and proven safe. Use other sources at your own risk! Future links posted by any user will be removed and a warning will be given.

~STEP Staff

#2 Quahogs

Quahogs

Commander

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

http://wiki.step-pro...gendary_Edition You can find it here. Fully optimized. Section 4.5.3.4

#3 Brujah

Brujah

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

Cheers Quahogs, I'll check that out. :) Does anyone know what's actually happening with the mod, though? If they've plagiarised their work, I don't really want to support it by downloading.

#4 Quahogs

Quahogs

Commander

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

@Brujah, it fires up for me ok. It's possible it has to do with Torrent and where your ISP is located. I recall in passing some issues about that on some threads here.

#5 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

Cheers Quahogs, I'll check that out. :)

Does anyone know what's actually happening with the mod, though? If they've plagiarised their work, I don't really want to support it by downloading.

The original mod author was banned from the Nexus. He had previously referenced multiple torrents as places to get his work when the nexus was acting up and many people have mirrored it / repackaged it over time (simple google search). Obviously the guide specifies that Starac is/was/always will be the author.

#6 Brujah

Brujah

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Thanks Neovalen. :) I was a bit wary of doing much by way of searches for the mod after the quite threatening-looking page my ISP threw up when first clicking the link, otherwise I'm sure I could've found that information out myself and not wasted your time having to explain it. Appreciate the effort you went to to do so though. :)

#7 mothergoose729

mothergoose729

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

Peer to Peer technology is not itself illegal, but it is often used to illegally share files. If you are only using torrents for mod files you won't run into any legal trouble.

#8 Brujah

Brujah

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

Aye, I wasn't so much concerned about how I was obtaining the mod as the content of the mod itself, mothergoose729. Cheers though. :) Neovalen seems pretty confident there's no issues with the mod, so I went ahead and got a copy using one of the alternative links in their STEP guide (although yet to finish it, what with Christmas and everything).

#9 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

It is perfectly legal to download the mod via torrent, but several countries' ISPs outside the US block all torrent sites due to stupid gestapo-like laws relating to *copyright infringement*.

A valid link to the torrent is in the STEP Guide with applicable warning. Neo also has a link from his guide.

Starac (SRO author) is a member of this community, but he rarely posts anymore. He does not want to host his work due to his misgivings with the modding community associated with the Nexus (i.e., the modding community at large ;) ). As Neo stated, Starac has pointed to user-hosted torrents as a resource, and he also will share his work directly (to those of his own choosing) with the understanding that his work must be sourced only through him.

Starac is still working on Skyrim though; however, his latest textures are exclusive.

#10 Brujah

Brujah

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Hey z929669, I can see that. I apologise in that case, Starac, if anything I've said has offendeded you (if you've even seen this thread). Seems like you've been dealt a pretty harsh hand just for wanting people to be able to use your work. Nothing personal was meant by it, as I didn't know the full picture at the time and was just keeping myself right before downloading your work. Suffice it to say, I'm now using it, and it's excellent. :)

#11 hellanios

hellanios

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Hello, I would like to ask for a favour. Could someone create a BSA version of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul and upload it somewhere?

[color=#ffd700;]Link Removed[/color]

#12 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hello, I would like to ask for a favour. Could someone create a BSA version of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul and upload it somewhere?
That would effectively be the same as hosting the file, which is something that our staff does not advocate (since it does not honor Starac's wishes in relation to his mod being hosted by others )... so, if someone wants to do this, it is perfectly legal, but it cannot be done through STEP channels. If we find a resource that hosts such a file, we can point our users to it (but we won't advocate or support its creation).

... hope that makes sense.

Alternatively, just download the mod from the torrent and create your own BSA. Pretty simple with BSAopt.

#13 hellanios

hellanios

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

But BSAopt only unpacks bsas if I'm correct.

#14 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,247 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

But BSAopt only unpacks bsas if I'm correct.

nope ;)

#15 WilliamImm

WilliamImm

Legendary Blue Dragon

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Also, putting texture mods in BSAs is just a stupid move when dealing with additional textures. Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users