Photo

Skyrim Realistic Overhaul

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#16 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

... and hellianos, WI means the decision is 'stupid' (i.e., not advised), not you ;)

#17 hellanios

hellanios

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

I wanted to pack the mod into a BSA because I've read that loose files increase loading times and frame rate.

#18 WilliamImm

WilliamImm

Legendary Blue Dragon

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Uh, if the game and all the needed mods are on a SSD, then loading times between loose files and packed won't be very much different. And isn't increased frame rate a good thing? Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk

#19 hellanios

hellanios

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Oops, I meant decrease frame rate.

#20 Aiyen

Aiyen

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

That would only ever happen if your computer is ancient. Even on my HDD (SATA, 7200RPM), then the comparative differences between BSA use or loose files is so minor that the benefit of having loose always wins. For FPS the only noteworthy difference would be when loading new cells... but once a cell is loaded then the memory management of the game makes sure that the previous cell is mostly stored in memory anyways, so when moving back you do not get a drop worth speaking of.... unless again your computer is ancient.

#21 maedrhos

maedrhos

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

I tried to download the torrent file as specified in the STEP instructions: "WARNING: This mod link points to a torrent site, which is one of the riskiest places on the internet in terms of computing security. If you choose to download the torrent, please use the link at top of page titled "Download Torrent", and do so at your own risk. That said, thousands of people have safely downloaded this mod using this torrent."

This is the first paragraph of what came back:

d8:announce38:udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce13:announce-listll38:udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announceel44:udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announceel43:udp://fr33domtracker.h33t.com:3310/announceel35:udp://tracker.istole.it:80/announceel44:http://announce.torr...mment61:Torrent downloaded from torrent cache at http://torcache.net/10:created by13:uTorrent/331013:creation datei1377421874e8:encoding5:UTF-84:infod6:lengthi1997516503e4:name30:SRO+DG_v1.6_Optimal_(1k-2k).7z12:piece lengthi2097152e6:pieces19060:Q)Ö ÑÉUf2í§ë–ûÒ#© 0uOë·~õTŒ‚àýÃ)æW=4‘®ÍŠ˜Ö]óN¥Ô؃«39ew.ú_Ú¬„6>sô„©ŒÒñMô~£`¯ìÀ5i¨ü8"¦„ԑϹ+!±(Žo£_!/ïŒ%n.BL¼À7¥bpÇ*ú/ØÊ窈éÓÜû°@ mLKBëëò 7tOü¢Øµ#¥vŸ›3&Fˆ·Ãt})thÉÒn'#ŠñÏ7ÚÂ} îë•6‡nŠxJ:ó7k›Á€ @†WZ¾âR<Ai7¶™á4#»`D‰%ýe &yLúº¿d¬eO¢œ®³)¬·$Ž›RGC´'’¶EÙ±-1—ب4¶¾du&åÙ‘Gr3HMÃYÙÕý>kãé&3Å_:ÎVøa<óˆLð|Doïfg×>¤[·(BY+¤sC{uφ¾/û‘´èW ½Ü‰ûâÂfJ'¦Í‘tÁ0§võ‡{ÐȺ©‡«þ/üªgàST‡KZµ~瘢M»È‹ç;VÖëO¢ÐÏj§JŸ¸‹«Q}ýº'-mû‚RÕÝg²™`ìSq8¬Å$“$¤lÙC–®«ñÙ$'#ÊÂCñ±,»¼JqÉ[rò7ÚîÆäCVÉeZvR(Ú¥‡ cƒ|Ѥñ,¹%cF·ï&Êž…øv´â›¿q/O$hcÊ·É3o,ýþI0¼æ˜ýZw—3W°Üöz÷Ð8EÒz0'F®®qPTq–}µÄcÞ6»÷õ> “¼ÚHø¦ÈsWÒù>FÁàˆ·Ö_7vÌÁÞŸ?ÒKÛcS`4†÷ka³[ø8¹…i±ò#Y“ÄFz°òTæ&;,YÇŸÀ6rçÐo)4;'yMf"D=gtöÏ[EÁêÚÜÙKËžö[›÷„}/;eã%ÙÚèÐ7;õbo³Þp&Km?¨mµz¡/Ùq½$9Úh·­P†ÍÓãy:vtÅÚÇÖ›bˆD9š ÃŸLð€ÓyŒ²¶›ÿ|DÜ5HMÓÿž7’+¡Ã¿*¡­²àê(©Ò^è.'Š£ÆàͶýÓ7³Fœ*q×fR·~˜Hí%·„!Ó  

What's going on?

Edit:

I figured it out. I needed to install BitTorrent Client in order to read the file and disable parts of my Malwarebytes software to keep from blocking the download.

Edit 2:

After completing the download using BitTorrent and re-enabling my virus protection I was getting popups that BitTorrent was trying to communicate with identified malware sites. That made me feel very uncomfortable so I completely uninstalled BitTorrent.  

Edited by maedrhos, 29 March 2014 - 10:30 AM.

#22 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:36 AM

Torrent file requires torrent client.  :thumbsup:  BitTorrent is good. I personally prefer uTorrent.

#23 EssArrBee

EssArrBee

Incompatibilism Manager

• STEP Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:11 AM

Torrent file requires torrent client. :thumbsup: BitTorrent is good. I personally prefer uTorrent.

Unfortunately Utorrent has gone the bloatware path as they have monetized their product. Try qbittorrent for a light weight alternative.

#24 phazer11

phazer11

Chatroom Supervisor

• Super Moderators
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

I don't notice the ads anymore and as long as you do a custom install you don't get the toolbars and such. I use uTorrent and qBittorrent almost interchangeably btw, another alternative is Tixati or if you LOVE chrome based browsers you can use Torch.

#25 Octopuss

Octopuss

Swears by everything

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

Unfortunately Utorrent has gone the bloatware path as they have monetized their product. Try qbittorrent for a light weight alternative.

It's not that bad as you put it. There are no popup windows and no ads in the common meaning (at least I think so). There are some retarded additions to the UI, but you can switch them off, all of them. I am not saying I like the path they chose, but as long as I can disable/hide all of it, I don't mind awfully much. I definitely wouldn't call the program bloatware though, it's friggin' one exe file roughly 1.5MB big. Some people like to say it's bloatware, because 8 years ago it was like 300kB, but that's nonsense argument. Programs simply grow bigger as new features are added over years. Of course all that featured crap takes some space in there, but it's not dragging  the whole thing down, performance-wise or whatever.

TL;DR

I've been using it for years and definitely will keep on doing that. It just works, and happens to be really good at that. Heck, if they ever manage to release a "lite" version (there was some talk about that year ago) true to the original concept, I will buy it!

#26 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Super Moderators
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

You do realize you can remove the ads in uTorrent. Just google it.

#27 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

Yeah, you do unfortunately have to pay attention and do a custom install of uTrorent or you'll end up with bloatware, but the program itself isn't bloatware. You should be do custom installs of all your software anyway to be sure to avoid any unnecessary features, addons or 3rd parties software. It's just one of the many good computing practices that people should follow.

But we digress... lets switch back to on-topic or continue this elsewhere.

#28 Octopuss

Octopuss

Swears by everything

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

Wait, people actually install utorrent? What's the point? Or wait again, there is some adware in the installer, too?

#29 Spock

Spock

Jarl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

Is the person who compiled the 1k-2k optimal repack of SRO around here? I would like to know how many exterior color maps got upped to 2k resolution. It's not that I couldn't look it up myself but it would be quicker if someone knew off the top of his head. Or maybe someone who hand picked texture sizes from the SRO versions?

Depending on the outcome of that question I'd like a pack that uses mostly 2k color maps for exteriors, 2k normals for things you see up close often (e.g. doors) and 1k color maps for textures on small meshes you do not see up close often. Or maybe the 2k version already is optimized this way?

#30 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,058 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Is the person who compiled the 1k-2k optimal repack of SRO around here? I would like to know how many exterior color maps got upped to 2k resolution. It's not that I couldn't look it up myself but it would be quicker if someone knew off the top of his head. Or maybe someone who hand picked texture sizes from the SRO versions?

Depending on the outcome of that question I'd like a pack that uses mostly 2k color maps for exteriors, 2k normals for things you see up close often (e.g. doors) and 1k color maps for textures on small meshes you do not see up close often. Or maybe the 2k version already is optimized this way?

I know who complied it but I'm not sure they'd want to be named. I'll bring your post to their attention and if they don't care, then maybe they'll answer (if they even know). Or perhaps some else will know and can answer in the meantime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users