STEP type guide for Fallout New Vegas

After a bit of tweaking a while back I was able to fix the problems with the 4gb patch and ENB.

Using the shortcut parameters you can force the exectuable from the fnv4g patch to load in the Fallout New Vegas Folder, which will load the .dll files properly.

My shortcut looks like this:

^Your path to the 4gb patcher^\fnv4gb.exe -exe "^Your path to steam^\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas\FalloutNV.exe" -laaexe "^Your path to steam^\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas\FalloutNV4gb.exe"

Hopefully this works for others.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: Trimmed my load order to 132 after modfusion/bashed patch and she's running. Set enblocal to reserved: 128mb, total: 10,240mb (would be even better with some Sheson style management, just sayin'). Will see how it plays before posting a mod list, EssArrBee's is a good foundation obviously. I'm currently working with a mix of MMUE, Project Nevada (core + cyberware), EVE & WME. On top of that I've got companions and NVInteriors plus some sundry others. Will see how it plays and make initial cuts as needed for stable gameplay.

Okay, reasonable stability achieved, gameplay testing to follow. I am using E ENB (with EnableLens=true set to =false) both for the effects as well as the enboost memory management. I did not install the 4gb patch. I used EssArrBee's guide as a foundation, but added additional mods as follows.

Install order of mod packages (using WryeFlash/BAIN in my case);

YUP Base + All DLC

Reload Speed Game Start Fix

Black Mt Rhonda Fix

Plasma Caster Fix

Rifle Alignment Fix

NVAC new vegas anti crash

MMUE mission mojave ultimate edition

MMUE pre order patch

MMUE+

no auto aim

Perk every level

Skill based perks

Your shack

The Mod Configuration Menu

MCM bug fix

Darnified UI NV

aHUD

iHUD

Unified HUD Project

FNV Classic Worldmap

Misc Item Icons

The Weapon Mod Menu

Poco Bueno Texture Pack v5

Poco Bueno HR GS Watertank

Poco Bueno Heavy Damage Roads

Poco Bueno Skeleton Transparency Fix

NMC's Textures NV Medium 1 & 2

NMC's Red Wood & Burnt Fence Clash Fix

NMC's 16x9 Main Screen

WFO esp-less

Hectrol Duststorm FX 1024 retex

Hectrol Tumbleweed Deluxe HR retex

Mojave Nights

Nevada Skies 1.0

Nevada Skies 1.3

Nevada Skies ultimate DLC edition

Nevada Skies URLified Interiors

Nevada Skies Mod Override File

ELECTRO-CITY completed workorders, hwys & byways

ELECTRO-CITY compatibility patch

Interior Lighting Overhaul

Interior Lighting Overhaul compatibility patch

BOA NV The Book of Flesh

Feral Ghoul Retexture Mod

Hall of Face Complete X2

Fallout Character Overhaul

FCO Melissa fix

FCO presets

Hectrol ED-E Deluxe HR retex Evolution pack

Better Burned Man

ADAM Main

ADAM HH

ADAM LR

ADAM Exeter Improved Coats

ADAM Outcast Ranger Aromor

ADAM Nemesis Armor

ADAM NCR PAtrol Armor

ADAM NCR Troopers

Book of Steel

NCR Civilian Clothing

Lite version Bornagain FNV Combat Armor 2048

Assassin Suit Retex

ALR v1.1

Hall of Equipment X2

Hall of Equipment X2 DM

Hall of Equipment X2 HH

Hall of Equipment X2 LR

Hall of Equipment X2 OWB

Advanced Desert Ranger Helmet v1.1

Advanced Recon Stealth Armor v1.4

Advanced Recon Trap Detection v2.7

Advanced Recon Gear v3.3

Advanced Recon Range Finder v1.2

Advanced Recon Riot Gear Helmets v1.4

Wasteland Clothing HD v1.3 full pack

Wasteland Clothing HD v1.3 powder gang fix

Retextured Fallout Ordinance

Weapon Retexture Project v1.95

WRP New 12.7mm SMG

WRP Christine COS rifle

WRP GRA patch v2

WRP 1911 standalone retex replacer

WRP Mauser C96 standalone v1.1

WRP USP Match v1.0 standalone

WRP Fairborn-Sikes standalone

WRP KABAR standalone

Weapons of the New Millenium 1.0 * just released 15/Feb/2014

LAER retexture

Plasma Rifles Awesomefied

One Hand Melee HD

Gun Runner Box HD

Fire Axe retextured

Knock Knock retextured

Weapon Modification Expansion

WME DLCs

WME GRA

WME Flamer hotfix

WME compatibility patch

WME Iron Sights

WME Named & Sorted

WAR The Commando

WAR The Professional

Hectrol Lock interface Deluxe HR retex

Hectrol Vegas Sewer Deluxe retex

HR Chems & Health retexture pack

Magazine Redux

Magazine Redux quick fix

Money Retex v1.2

Pre War Money Retexture heavy distress

$10 Bison Bill

$50 Bill

$1000 Bill

Tweak Cash Register v1.0

Urban Food retex

Enhanced Blood Textures

Alternate Blood Spout EBT compatible

Better Posture

Hectrol Binoculars HR Military retex

EVE 1.5 final

EVE compatibility patch

WMEVE

WMEVE compatibility patch

Project Nevada core & cyberware

MMUE Project Nevada Core compatibility patch

Project Nevada DLC support

Improved Sound FX

ISFX EVE

ISFX WME

Ambient Wasteland 2 ogg edition

CONELRAD

PA Footsteps

Glow Sticks

Unlimited Companions

Companions Sandbox v3.2

NVWillow

Wendy Gilbert Companion v1.0

A Better Cass non-Ling version

A Better Cass improved sandbox patch

A Better Cass custom revolver

A Better Veronica final

A Better Veronica improved sandbox patch

A Better Boone default hairstyle

A Better Boone improved sandbox patch

NV Interiors Core

NV Interiors Combo Edition

NV Interiors compatibility patch NMC medium

NV Interiors Player Home Themes

Afterschool Special Version

Sortomatic

New Bison Steve master file version

Rotface to Riches

A Koch & Bohr Story

A Van Graff Scorned

A Thorny Situation

A Wilder Wasteland

If it wasn't for Betsy

Pacer's Gambit

Outside Bets

After installation I ran BOSS, rest a couple of masters and organized the unrecoginized mods. I have also installed CASE, Craft Pack & Improved LOD through Modfusion. After running Modfusion levelled list creator I then created a bashed patch using all applicable functions & tweaks available.

Obviously this post is far short of a guide, or "rigorous analysis" for that matter. Hopefully its in some way helpful to anyone considering an FNV playthrough, and better yet maybe forwards ongoing discussion of that great game.

I added a spoiler tag to make things smaller, but it looks like a decent setup. Thank you for your feedback.

I noticed that you are using MMUE and YUP, but I think you should check if they are compatible. Both are trying to patch many things and there may be some overlap that could conflict.

I really want to get back into FNV soon, hopefully with a couple of people returning to help out with STEP, I can focus on this. I would love to write a plugin for installing Unified HUD that works for MO. That would really make my life easier since I would want to use MO just because it is kind of the STEP mod manager. No offense to Wrye Flash NV, but it seems that development has stopped on it at the moment.

Thanks for the spoiler tag, I missed how to do that, figured I'd go back and edit after someone gave me a heads up, you saved a step.

I prefer Wrye' BAIN for installations both in Skyrim & FNV, simple and clean. From what I gather MO doesn't really add much (obviously both are better than NMM), in fact MO using an alternate directory seems to create issues albeit resolvable ones.

My order isn't a STEP-style vanilla+ experience, but this isn't my first Fallout rodeo so I'm excited for additional weapon mod & cyberware options as well as some new adventures.

EDIT: I checked the Nexus for compatibility between MMUE & YUP, you make a good point and keeping it short YUP is the better choice I've dropped MMUE & MMUE+. That saved several esp files with all the MMUE compatibility patches involed, good call EssArrBee.

I've made some major updates to my guide. It is starting to look more like something I would actually want to share with people. Still a long way to go though before it is a v1 dot 0 type of thing, probably at v 0 dot 1 right now.

I'll probably start a new thread soon when I get stuff sorted out for it so people can criticize and suggest mods, post screens... I'll be out of town this weekend so no point starting it now. :D

If you look it over and think, "Hey, the style kinda looks a bit like SR", well that's cause I stole borrowed ;) from it because formatting is not my strong suit. Also, Fallout is silly, that is part of the series, so I will have snarky descriptions, but I will keep the instructions serious.

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Essarrbee/FalloutNewVegas

Looks great EssArrBee, used it to make my current build, and it keeps looking better (super creepy Tarantula Hawk fun facts, yuck).

I've got a new one for you as of 18/Feb/2014, from Millenia, Weapons for a New Millenia

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55008/?

its a roundup of his stand alone offerings since Weapons Retexture Pack.

Another hot file from the Nexus

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55075/?

Ragdoll overhaul, check it out.

Thanks, I've seen it and had lined up for testing, but I've broken FNV at the moment and am starting over trying to find any problems people might get with the guide as is so I can fine tune stuff before moving on.

I still can't quite lock down the NMM import stuff I put on there eventhough a couple people said it worked for them. Something I'm doing is wrong and I can't figure it out. Now the game doesn't even start so I'm going back to square one.

I had a busted Skyrim plugin make me chase a launch CTD for the last 24 hours, so I feel your pain.

I use Wrye Flash as my FNV installer, much better than NMM, you should use that. I mean, you really should use that. Considering you are creating a guide and are going to be installing/uninstalling, its Wrye time.

Trust me :-) just not in any other regard, but about switching to Wrye, trust me.

& run a later ENB for the memory management, you can always shut down fx features for performance. E ENB is based of the latest binary, I run that. Its no memory patch 3.0 (Skyrim) but it makes a noticeable difference.

You can't run Unified HUD with Wrye Flash or MO, but MO has that NMM import feature that is pretty nice, but not fully developed. For the guide I was doing the mods that Unified HUD needs with NMM and then importing to MO and installing the rest with those. Then I was using Wrye Flash through MO to generate a Bashed Patch, since it does so much in it's complete state, unlike Skyrim.