1.6 patch to include Mounted Combat!

Be careful with the betapatch though, as obviously a lot of mods will not function properly with it yet. SKSE for example will need an update (coming tomorrow or so they said), and Script Dragon will most likely not work for a long time, if ever. That's not a huge deal though now that SKSE has papyrus support so old SD-mods can be rewritten for SKSE anyway eventually.

Also Wrye Bash does not work with the update due to changes made to Update.esm

According to Arthmoor's testing using his own mod Open Cities Skyrim, which was plagued by the navmesh bug and thus put on hold, it appears to be fixed. Ofcourse needs further testing before we can know for sure though. If it indeed is fixed then it's the best news Skyrim could get, much bigger a deal than mounted combat as it means proper content mods can finally be released without glaring issues.

Except for unique horses, they die pretty quickly so beth needs to add some health points to the ponies. Plus, enemies need horses to fight from too since a mounted attack will just make it unfair to the NPCs.

I think I can see a jousting mod in the near future...

Ah Bethesda patches... love em in some ways, hate em in others. Time to make sure I freeze my Skyrim before it goes live.

Especially since I use ScriptDragon and it's usually weeks before an update. Aparently Wrye Bash is also broke, hopefully there will be an update before too long.

Ok, I've tested the beta but only mounted combat.

it's really hard to hit your target, because they run around you and can damage you from every side, whilst you can only damage them on your exact left and exact right hand side which makes close combat really unnerving. ranged combat (bows) is really cool as you can now hunt down animals whilst riding your horse which ensures that you actually get to your prey and it doesn't prance off. Sadly you cannot shoot backwards, so you have to move in a huge circle to change direction.

You can use a shield but only for armor stats not for blocking. you can only use your right hand for combat. you can use a two-handed weapon though. the view for daggers in mounted combat seems a bit broken though.

Z-fighting is still intrusive with only vanilla inis but hey, there's worse ;-)

maybe I'll update tomorrow if I get the time to actually continue testing

Seems like the throwing weapon mods will work really good with mounted combat, and now all we need is spears which were in Fallout so it's gotta make you wonder why Skyrim doesn't have any.

I mean Forsworn with spears and throwing axes sounds awesome, amiright?

Just be aware that STEP will not be supporting 1.6 for quite some time (like a month after it goes official), the recommendation is to remain at 1.5.26 until a STEP is released targeting 1.6

+1 .... GET and SET Skyrim Unplugged!

Obviously it is going to be a matter of seeing what remains once the beta phase is over (after the 1.5 fiasco), but with the testing Arthmoor has done on Open Cities looking so promising, a fix to the navmesh issue could have quite an impact on STEP.

[edit: Discussion continued in S.T.E.P. Administration forum]

I think anyone who has spent enough time with STEP, plus adding and testing new mods will be able to run STEP with a new update without sacrificing to many mods.

I wonder how far along SkyBoost was before this was announced or if it has been abandoned to focus on ENB.