Natural Lighting and Atmospherics for ENB

TechAngel85

This is still on my small list to test out. I look for something that looks realistic and natural without being too fantasy with the saturation and contrast. This one looks like it strikes a very good balance. I also hate ENBs that look as if they put a filter over the screen which darkens and hazes the screen ever so slighting and many of them do that. Even on super clear and bright days it looks like you're looking through lightly tinted sunglasses...hate that! Vivian is also on my small list of ENBs to check out as well.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vividian is very nice, I just don't use CoT anymore, and its recommended in popular STEP packs.

Serenity is a bit of a performance hog, but features some great effects and feels very natural (to me anyway), Prod80 did some great work there.

Ewi65 has made a version of Realvision for NLA, I haven't tried it but I bet it's good.

Serenity with the ELE suite makes vanilla weathers outstanding, add NLA esp to bring the sky to the water. I cut ELFX in favor of Relighting Skyrim (supplemented by ELE) and have been very happy. I even merged all that with the TES5Edit 1.65 script;

[spoiler=ELE EDWS RS Merged]ELE-Spell and Torch Lighting.espRelighting Skyrim - Update.espRelightingSkyrim.espRelighting Skyrim - Dawnguard.espRelighting Skyrim - HearthFire.espRelighting Skyrim - Dragonborn.espELE-FX Emittance.espELE HF-Interior Lighting.espELE-Interior Lighting.espELE DG-Interior Lighting.espELE DB-Interior Lighting.espELE-Weathers.espELE Dragonborn-Weathers.espenhanceddynamicweathersystem.espELE-Imagespaces.esp

I still relatively new to all this, so if I've missed something by all means let me know, but it passed the error check and so far seems fine in game.

as a modding newbie i found COT a real drag to deal with.  patches, patches, incompatibility, more patches....when i discovered that ENB could be used to enhance visuals and weather i knew there was no looking back for me.  that is how i found NLA.  NLA is almost exactly the look i wanted. i do not miss anything from COT in my limited experience. i would much rather spend my time trying to figure out the million other things i have to deal with to create the perfect build for my first pc playthrough.  of course, step has helped significantly with that.  i hope more ENB plus weather mods start appearing.

i will definitely try the ELE suite (was actually reading about it on ENB forums last night) and Serenity combo with NLA .esp  Merging it all together is far beyond my skill set at this point though.

Take a look at TES5Edit merge script 1.65 on Nexus, there's instructions and its automated. I'm not comfortable making a proper TES5Edit compatibility patch for myself yet, but I'll get there with a STEP tutorial, the merge script let's me get away with the "... for dummies" version. I posted the contents of the patch I made as a jumping off point for others.

Pro Tip from Double You: exit the TES5Edit program after making you patch, then relaunch TES5Edit to do the error check, otherwise it work properly.

* you might compare Serenity to Realvision for NLA, both ewi65 & prod80 do good work.

Edited by redirishlord

So I've tried this one out in-game and I don't care for it. It's way too bright (even when the game's brightness turned down), the lantern's glow is far too orange and some shadows are far too dark. I'm sure the plugin is great but the ENB part is not for me.

Serenity. Lighting is more natural, bloom is awesome, I use the default look but there are lots of presets to suit your personal taste.

Okay, you pulled my leg. I test it tomorrow but I have to say I just tested the Vanilla version of Vividian...not sure I can play without it now!

will be trying serenity and vividian tonite.  spent last night doing a fresh install via MO because i felt like something wasnt right but could not pin it down.  found some COT patches that i failed to remove and just decided it was quicker to do it all over again than to search for old patches (especially since i think i merged some of them).

this was mentioned in another topic but it is worth saying again that ENB Manager may be a worthwhile subtopic/guide in STEP.  I know there is a link to it in the ENB guide but i think it is worth more emphasis due to its high value IMHO.

why does work always have to interfere with my skyrim time....

will be trying serenity and vividian tonite.  spent last night doing a fresh install via MO because i felt like something wasnt right but could not pin it down.  found some COT patches that i failed to remove and just decided it was quicker to do it all over again than to search for old patches (especially since i think i merged some of them).

this was mentioned in another topic but it is worth saying again that ENB Manager may be a worthwhile subtopic/guide in STEP.  I know there is a link to it in the ENB guide but i think it is worth more emphasis due to its high value IMHO.

why does work always have to interfere with my skyrim time....

The manager and the ENB Guide do not a a lot of emphasis right now because STEP has nothing to do with ENBs for the moment. The ENB Guide was written by myself initially and then overhauled by other users. It's maintained only by one or two people as more of a personal project than anything to do with STEP. That might change soon as I have an idea to advocate an officially recommended ENB for STEP for the 2.3.0 release (which is still a long way off). It's just an idea but we have a couple ENBs now that are very vanilla friendly which would fit into STEP very easily. Vividian Vanilla version is so far the lead contestant.

interesting. i think that would be a great idea.  i would love to see ENB weathers integral to such a STEP recommendation.  i liked COT for what it's worth and appreciate all the work that has obviously gone into it but i really got tired of messing with it's patches everytime i wanted to play around with my STEP Ext "plus" setup.  NLA with weather has been a huge relief to me and i am looking forward to trying out other ENB with weather or the NLA weather .esp in the background.

now if i could just sneak out of the office early and go play with skyrim modding....

• 2 weeks later...

Serenity with the ELE suite makes vanilla weathers outstanding, add NLA esp to bring the sky to the water. I cut ELFX in favor of Relighting Skyrim (supplemented by ELE) and have been very happy. I even merged all that with the TES5Edit 1.65 script;

Do you use the NLA Plugin with ELE weathers? i thought they were incompatible

So I've tried this one out in-game and I don't care for it. It's way too bright (even when the game's brightness turned down), the lantern's glow is far too orange and some shadows are far too dark. I'm sure the plugin is great but the ENB part is not for me.

Enter the shadows and the lights adapt in this enb... it is a very good effect. Only a few ENB have this effect well implemented (Opethfelt, Rudy ENB).

After testing a lot of ENBs this is my favorite now.

PROS:

• The weather are enhanced with only one ESP. Bye COT.
  • The light is very natural, but not desaturated.
  • The shadow effect is superb. You can see a shadow in the distance and when you approach the eyes adapt to it and you see it clearly. It is the same effect as Opethfledt but not so exaggerated
  • Nights and interiors are dark but you you can still see in the house interiors without a torch.
  • The fire are orange not white as other ENBs. I have tested this with ELFx, with RLO+ELE the fire is yellow... but i prefer ELFX.
  • It has a lot of effects (cloud effect, sunrays, etc)

CONS:

• It is very demanding

I use EDWS with ELE as recommended on the ELE page on ENB forums (so no weather additions plugin, just weathers). Serenity has worked well with the full ELE suite + EDWS as shown in the spoiler in my previous post above (I have move RS oh of the merge since it's most recent update), NLA has also added some nice effects to the combination (specifically RW2 water's sky reflections, using just the plugin not any part of the NLA ENB preset). While I noticed some cautions about combining these, I haven't seen any statements about specific incompatibility between any of them, and while NLA cautions against using the plugin alone it has played nice with Serenity for me. Try it yourself and see what you think, it's easy to install/uninstall with MO.