Solsthiem Mod Combo Choices

EssArrBee

Now that all the mods have been tested individually, it is time to showcase some mish-mash of the mods to try and achieve the best combination. I made a few sets just randomly choosing different parts of each of the mods that cover Solsthiem. I'm not going to say which mods are used where in any of the screens to achieve unbias opinions. Each screen is less the close up of textures and more the whole picture type stuff which three or four textures included in each shot.

Some of the textures are the same from set to set, but I probably changed something else to see how they worked together with something else. You might noticed that some pictures look the same, but there is something different in each set, even if it is just one texture.

Raven Rock

Coming from the docks the first thing you see is the temple and the ash covered road. The road changes and the temple changes.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

From top the blacksmith house the basalt pillars are in the background, the redoran style homes, and the ash covered road through Raven Rock. Also, look how the ash piles up on the top of the basalt pillar torward the right side.

On the top of the temple, look how the ash piles blend in, also the floor tiles and the stone dividing it up the left side.

Over by the Earth Stone next the Raven Rock, this shows different ash textures. The rocks that lay under neath with ash over top, the rippled ash and the regular ash textures change in these sets. Lots of areas around Solsthiem are blended together like this.

Tel Mithryn

Looking up at the houses, the doors, sides, roofs, bottom of the big mushroom, and the ash in front. Roots and wood stay the same, but the ash and buildings change.

Looking at the building on the left, close up of the side, top, door, and rope/lantern stuff. The building in the back actually has two roof textures. Just two mods for these screens so the combinations are limited.

Ash covered areas

Here is the area east of Tel Mithryn, with all the different ash textures on display.

Near Tel Mithryn on the western coast, large rocks start jutting out of the ash covered areas. Look at the ash that covers the large rocks and how the ash blends in with it. There will be lots of that running around Solsthiem.

Posted ImagePosted Imagehttps://i.imgur.com/cq6hdhO.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/KOTpQMD.jpg

Tundra stuff

Eastern coast near Bloodskal Barrow, this shows off a couple of the tundra textures blended together with the mountains and ruins.

https://i.imgur.com/1HTeBoQ.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/HsNQDXt.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/zsfqaQp.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/iu3bKT4.jpg

Same as the last set, but western coast. Shows how the DB textures blend with the Skyrim textures that DB uses since that is important for aesthetic reason.

https://i.imgur.com/L1L7dpQ.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/DAI0TO8.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/jtsChXx.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/Dg2uigv.jpg

I'd like these to be picked apart and express what parts work and why. There are still going to be places where stuff is just out of place, but that has to with the meshes more than the textures.

Okay I'm ready to make a decision on these mods.

SRTO will not be picked up for STEP because I don't want to use it for 4 textures that only a couple people even like anyways, Telvanni Reborn will be used for the Tel Mithryn textures and HRDLC for Raven Rock. A mix of Serious HD, HRDLC, and AMB for the ash and other landscape textures will be used, so that means AMB is accepted for Core. Installation will be Serious HD first since it has other textures overwritten by SRO, then AMB will be installed and some files will be removed or hidden using MO's hiding feature. Just install Telvanni Reborn.

I'd also like to add Ash Rocks, for the larger mountain rocks all over Solsthiem, with less ash smim 2k fine options. The performance hit negligible vs the 1k version, but so much better looking. Set 8 has Ash Rocks in pictures 1/2/3 and HRDLC in 4.

If that is okay with z, or the other release coordinators, then I will set it up on the wiki. Or, I can just post some more screens.

@kryp, you liked a few different things from what I chose for STEP, but only a few, so if you want what those are just let me know.

Okay these are the final choices based on everyone's comments and the STEP Mandate up against the HRDLC so everyone knows what to look forward to in 2.2.8. After I went through the comments and combined some stuff, I think the game looked as good as ever. You really gotta see them in game where everything really pops.

Last Update promise (well unless I add the SRLE stuff for Neo).

Here is the mod list:

• Install Telvanni Reborn, it will not be overwritten by anything.
  • Serious HD is already a part of Core and has DB textures so make sure that is installed.
  • Install AMB Solsthiem Landscape and remove the following or use MO to hide the files:
dlc2basaltcolumsingle.dds
dlc2basaltcolumsingle_n.dds
dlc2basaltside.dds
dlc2basaltside_n.dds
dlc2road01ash01.dds
dlc2road01ash01_n.dds
volcanic_ash_04.dds
volcanic_ash_04_n.dds
volcanic_ash_05.dds
volcanic_ash_darkcliff_01.dds
volcanic_ash_darkcliff_01_n.dds
volcanic_ash_rocks_01_d.dds
volcanic_ash_rocks_01_d_n.dds
volcanic_ash_tundra_01.dds
volcanic_ash_tundra_01_n.dds
volcanic_ash_tundra_03.dds
volcanic_ash_tundra_03_n.dds

Okay that is the 2.2.8 stuff. You can update it now if you have 2.2.7 and not have to worry about changing anything for 2.2.8 since it is just replacers and no plugins are involved. SRLE users be aware that Neo's choices were a bit different and his list be done by him.

I'll probably update these as I get the time to look but here some initial thoughts:

1st image set - First shot is overall the best. The road/ground is nicely textured and the buildings are sufficiently worn for being in ash/dust storms all day. However I like the more contrasted/detailed basalt in the background from shots 2/4.

2nd image set - First shot is overall the best. Ash/Buildings/Roads are sufficiently worn and the texture on the ground stands out more over distance. The basalt is better in 2/4 again.

3rd image set - First shot again, I feel like a broken record here. Ash is nicely textured, the ground sufficiently worn however again the basalt in the background I prefer 2/4.

4th image set - First shot yet again, nice mix of varying different colors. However shot 4 is also quite nice. Shot 3 is too dark/sameish and shot 2 is similar but I don't like the ash pattern in the upper area, much prefer the ripple in 1/4. Since there is a shot of the basalt close up I like 1/3 in this compare for that with the extra detail.

5th image set - Shot 4 wins overall for me. 1/4 for the big mushroom. I prefer the darker door on the houses from 2/3/4. The ash is best in 1/4 but the ash/road combo is best in 4. 1/4 again for the mushroom houses, can see more detail/texturing from afar, there is also an odd striping pattern on 2/3.

6th image set - Shot 4 wins overall for me. Ash looks best in 4. 2/3/4 had the better textured house and 1/4 had the brighter top which I liked best. The darker shroom accents on 2/3/4 and the darker weathered door on 2/4 really stuck with me. The ropes might be best from shot 1 though... they seem more detailed.

7th image set - Tough one between 1 and 4. I don't like the others... 2 is too flat and 3 is too dark. If I had to absolutely choose I would say 4 but 1 is also quite good.

8th image set - Shot 1 definitely best on the blending in general and ash for the big rocks/ledges. However I really like the small detail rocks in 4 near the center of the shot.

9th image set - I prefer the grass blending of 1/3 but the foreground dirt of 2/4.

10th image set - Shot 1 and 4 both nice but the small accent on the bottom left makes it 4.

Tried to give you as detailed a response as I can make... ;) Hopefully it is pretty much consistent.

1st set - I like the ash from 4 best, but 1 is also nice. For the temple, my choice is 4. I don't care for the pattern of the steps in 1.

2nd set - I like the road in 4, I like the larger, more defined stones and their color (dark stone surrounded by light ash, rather than vise versa). For the combination of ash piles/basalt pillars, my choice is 1 or 4. These have the right degree of contrast between them.

3rd set - prefer the ash in 1 and 4. For the stone, my choice is 4

4th set - for the rippled ash, I like the larger ripples in 2. I'm not sure I care greatly for any of the combos though. I like the regular ash texture with the dark streaks and fewer rocks in 1.

5th set - I think 4 blends best overall, but I do like the building textures in 3.

6th set - 3 is my favorite combo for building + roof. The roof texture in 1 and 4 just seems to call attention to the blocky angles of the mesh. However, I like the darker doors and lighter ash in 4 over those in 3.

7th set - 4 would be my choice. It's a toss up for second between 1 and 2. I feel that the ash in 3 is consistently too dark.

8th set - torn between 1 and 4. I like some of the distant detail in 1, but the middle detail with the small rocks in 4 is really nice. I feel that 4 probably blends best overall.

9th set - 4 or 2 (I can't really see much difference between them).

10th set - 4 seems to blend the best while still providing nice detail

These are nice shots, Es. Thanks for all of the compares you've been making recently. It's nice to see all these textures side by side.

Set 1: No.1 shot overall, though I prefer the ash texture in the foreground from No. 4.

Set 2: No. 4 wins out overall. I do like the homes from No. 1.

Set 3: In general, No. 2, in particular the ash. But the stone floor I prefer from No.1 and 4.

Set 4: No. 1. Combo of the ground plus rippled ash just works for me.

Set 5: Prefer No. 2 both for ground and architecture.

Set 6: No. 1 easily. Prefer the rope, mushroom cap and door by far.

Set 7: It's a tossup between Nos. 1 and 4 for me.

Set 8: As far as smooth transition goes, I think No. 1 wins.

Set 9: Tossup between Nos. 2 and 4. They're very similar in the distance and I prefer that foreground.

Set 10: Think I prefer No. 2 on this one. It's not really a strong winner for me though. I like the darker knoll from No. 3 but it tends to clash with the ash-covered rock.

Alright great input from everyone. I can see that opinions vary from person to person. That is pretty much want I wanted to get out of this, but I can still kinda get a consensus on a couple things which means I can remove certain textures from consideration. Anything that narrows the choices is great for me and my eyes, which are shot at this point. Testing DB is the real '50 Shades of Gray'.

I don't want people looking at others choices. I would rather just have peoples first impression. Even with the differing stuff I can still eliminate things and already have based on what I know about each set.

I'll probably end up with two lists anyways. One for step and one for neo based on what he likes to put in srle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want people looking at others choices. I would rather just have peoples first impression. Even with the differing stuff I can still eliminate things and already have based on what I know about each set.

I'll probably end up with two lists anyways. One for step and one for neo based on what he likes to put in srle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be awesome, thanks!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Just a quick .02 from me, it is a toss up between 1 and 4 in almost every image set in my view.  A couple of minor details were nice in 2 and 3 but not enough to overcome the overall look of 1 and 4.  I would have to scrutinize it more fastidiously to decide between 1 and 4.  If I had to choose immediately, I would probably go with 1....or maybe 4 :facepalm:

I'll probably update these as I get the time to look but here some initial thoughts:

1st image set - First shot is overall the best. The road/ground is nicely textured and the buildings are sufficiently worn for being in ash/dust storms all day. However I like the more contrasted/detailed basalt in the background from shots 2/4.

2nd image set - First shot is overall the best. Ash/Buildings/Roads are sufficiently worn and the texture on the ground stands out more over distance. The basalt is better in 2/4 again.

3rd image set - First shot again, I feel like a broken record here. Ash is nicely textured, the ground sufficiently worn however again the basalt in the background I prefer 2/4.

4th image set - First shot yet again, nice mix of varying different colors. However shot 4 is also quite nice. Shot 3 is too dark/sameish and shot 2 is similar but I don't like the ash pattern in the upper area, much prefer the ripple in 1/4. Since there is a shot of the basalt close up I like 1/3 in this compare for that with the extra detail.

5th image set - Shot 4 wins overall for me. 1/4 for the big mushroom. I prefer the darker door on the houses from 2/3/4. The ash is best in 1/4 but the ash/road combo is best in 4. 1/4 again for the mushroom houses, can see more detail/texturing from afar, there is also an odd striping pattern on 2/3.

6th image set - Shot 4 wins overall for me. Ash looks best in 4. 2/3/4 had the better textured house and 1/4 had the brighter top which I liked best. The darker shroom accents on 2/3/4 and the darker weathered door on 2/4 really stuck with me. The ropes might be best from shot 1 though... they seem more detailed.

7th image set - Tough one between 1 and 4. I don't like the others... 2 is too flat and 3 is too dark. If I had to absolutely choose I would say 4 but 1 is also quite good.

8th image set - Shot 1 definitely best on the blending in general and ash for the big rocks/ledges. However I really like the small detail rocks in 4 near the center of the shot.

9th image set - I prefer the grass blending of 1/3 but the foreground dirt of 2/4.

10th image set - Shot 1 and 4 both nice but the small accent on the bottom left makes it 4.

Tried to give you as detailed a response as I can make... ;) Hopefully it is pretty much consistent.

You were really consistent with your choices and I actually only have one question. On the ash covered rocks, there were two that you liked in some shots, but both were covered covered in AMB ash. The compares for set 1 were AMB ash covering Serious rocks, and set 4 is AMB ash and rocks. You can see the rocks in different shots, set 4 the foreground, set 5 the bottom middle going up the left side of root, set 7 bottom left and middle left in shadow of the tree, set 8 in the middle and foreground (but shot 8 has Ash Rocks less ash 2k fine for 1/2/3, HRDLC for 4 on the big mountain rocks, not the small ones I'm asking about).

Just choose which rock you like more and I'll send you a list of what I used for it and you can use that however you want for SRLE.

Just now seeing this thread!?!

Moved to MT for better prioritization. Will comment (without reading thread first) when I have had time to digest.

PS: I like the idea of presenting variations withoug letting on what mod they are associated with. It removes bias and controversy around a particular mod author ;)