Solsthiem Mod Combo Choices

EssArrBee

Just now seeing this thread!?!

Moved to MT for better prioritization. Will comment (without reading thread first) when I have had time to digest.

PS: I like the idea of presenting variations withoug letting on what mod they are associated with. It removes bias and controversy around a particular mod author ;)

Yeah, I'd planned on doing the same with forts but that isn't possible with VL. Not going through meshes. Going wait on cabal and hein to do a combined mod. Hopefully I can get to some additional stuff when tech and phaser are back. I feel hamstrung on some things I would like to get to since it has pretty much you and I doing the next release. I'd also like to actually play some skyrim, not much of that going on lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My preferences are:

• Second image - Ground texture blending is good as well as overall composition.

• First image: sand it too bumpy and the structures maybe a bit too bumpy. Textures blend nicely though.
    • Third image: Sand is too dark, and blending with ground cobblestones is not as good IMO.
    • Fourth image: sand is too bumpy, and ground cobblestones don't blend well with the sand.
  • Second image - all previous comments regarding first set apply; additionally, I like the pillars best in this one, as they pop out a little better.
  • Second image - sand and pillars are nicely done. Blending is also good

• First image: sand it too bumpy; although, the stone floor is really good (but photorealism maybe does not make the most sense). Textures blend nicely too.
    • Third image: sand it too dark; blending is not so good.
    • Fourth image: sand is too bumpy; although, the stone floor is really good (but photorealism maybe does not make the most sense). Textures blend nicely too. Furthermore, blending of stone line at left is better than the first image.
  • First image - ground texture is just better IMO and blending is best with the overall composition.

• Second image: sand is great (like the ripples best), but faux ground stones do not blend well with the actual stone models.
    • Third image: sand it too dark; blending is not so good.
    • Fourth image: Same problem as second image, but overall composition has slightly better blending than second.
  • No single image wins for me:

• First image: Shrooms and structures look best; ground is too tiled and bumpy.
    • Second image: Ground is good, wooden doors are a bit too dark, shrooms not as good as first.
    • Third image: sand it too dark; otherwise, same as second.
    • Fourth image: Shrooms and structures look best; doors are a bit too dark; ground is too tiled and bumpy. (this would be best with ground of second image)
  • No single image wins for me:

• First image: Good, but ground is too dark.
    • Second image: Ground is good, but shrooms are too bumpy and less interesting than first. Doors also too dark.
    • Third image: Ground is too dark, shroom tops too bumpy (shroom bases are good, as are the doors).
    • Fourth image: Best overall, but doors are too dark, and ground may be too bumpy, but hard to tell for sure in this one.
  • First image - ground texture is just better IMO and blending is best with the overall composition.

• Second image: sand is right; cobblestone blending not so good though.
    • Third image: sand it too dark; blending is good.
    • Fourth image: sand is right, but a bit too bumpy; cobblestone blending not so good.
  • Second image - blending with ground stones maybe not ideal, but overall has best composition (would be beter with mountain slabs of fourth image though)

• First image: sand it too bumpy; blending on ground is good though.
    • Third image: sand it too dark; blending with big rocks is not so good.
    • Fourth image: sand is too bumpy; Mountain rocks are definitely the best in this one though IMO (would be beter with ground textures of first image though).
  • Fourth image - near and distant ground blend best. Near is bumpy, but it looks right here, as there appears to be grass or ground cover.

• First image: foreground ground texture is too smooth. Distant ground does not belend so well.
    • Second image: Foreground ground is good. Distant ground does not belend so well.
    • Fourth image: foreground ground texture is too smooth. Distant ground a bit too dark.
  • Second & Fourth image - Slightly better ground composition than the other two, but can't tell any other diffs between them (or between the other two).

@SRB

Nice work putting it all together. I am not sure how my picks correspond to the others' but unless there are some stark diffs (i.e., there is divided consensus with me and one other thinking differently than two or more others), then take my comments into consideration and go with your gut.

Yeah you do differ a bit. First off you call all the ash, sand. The thing about ash is that it clumps up and sticks to stuff, especially over time when you introduce rain/snow/humidity. I'd say a chimney should have that nice smooth look, but outdoors it would be a mess. Hard to pick between the the ash in 1 and 2, but I felt like running around that the ash looks better in the first of each set. Set 7 shows that the best, since the ash just blends at a distance with some of the bumpiness added by those ash textures, but sometimes up close you want them to appear a bit smoother.

For set 9 & 10, I think everyone agrees with you, the best is to use a blend of two mods to get the best effect. For the Tel Mithryn stuff don't worry about the doors or the patterned effect on the mushroom houses, because those are SRTO DB and I'm going to remove that from testing. I think everyone likes the HRDLC/Serious HD basalt and it just plays with the light much better unless you get right up on it. The ash covered rocks just seems weird in the 2nd and 4th images of each set and in game that comes out a bit more than screens. The look in the first image of each set tends to blend with the surrounding a bit better.

I think that I might do one more set, now that I have a couple more ideas from what people have said and the ideas it has given me to blend stuff together.

Yeah you do differ a bit. First off you call all the ash, sand. The thing about ash is that it clumps up and sticks to stuff, especially over time when you introduce rain/snow/humidity. I'd say a chimney should have that nice smooth look, but outdoors it would be a mess. Hard to pick between the the ash in 1 and 2, but I felt like running around that the ash looks better in the first of each set. Set 7 shows that the best, since the ash just blends at a distance with some of the bumpiness added by those ash textures, but sometimes up close you want them to appear a bit smoother.

For set 9 & 10, I think everyone agrees with you, the best is to use a blend of two mods to get the best effect. For the Tel Mithryn stuff don't worry about the doors or the patterned effect on the mushroom houses, because those are SRTO DB and I'm going to remove that from testing. I think everyone likes the HRDLC/Serious HD basalt and it just plays with the light much better unless you get right up on it. The ash covered rocks just seems weird in the 2nd and 4th images of each set and in game that comes out a bit more than screens. The look in the first image of each set tends to blend with the surrounding a bit better.

I think that I might do one more set, now that I have a couple more ideas from what people have said and the ideas it has given me to blend stuff together.

Duh ... ash it is indeed. Strike my comments about too dark and too bumpy for ground textures then. We are in agreement there. I doo like the smoother dunmer structures though, as that is more in line with Morrowind. And bumpy mushroom tops ... not so good IMO.