The Pre-optimization files don't match the guides.

Gundammit

Question

I ran the "2_Pre-optimization.bat2" file and it created the new directory files in /working, but folders don't match the guides. In "Vanilla Normal Maps" it doesn't have anything, in "Vanilla Textures" it's missing the STD file and so forth. Also, the .log file after it ran was just blank with nothing in it. 

I'm sorry if this is some simple problem or it's meant to do that, but these kind of things are so damn complex to me.

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for the output' date=' it was helpful in understanding the problem. The "robocopy.exe" system program isn't being found by the batch file. Check the c:\windows\system32 directory and see if "robocopy.exe" is there. If it isn't see if you can get it restored, or read the note about robocopy on this page of the DDSopt guide.

If the file is present then try the new batch file version and see if it works for you. The new version of the batch file now includes a test for the presence of robocopy, and uses full path names for it (vs. assuming that the path to it is in the normal windows PATH variable)

It's working. I have robocopy by the way.

windows\system32 is supposed to be in the PATH variable but apparently on some systems it isn't. The change to fix this was added to both batch files that sort textures, by the way, in the new version 2.7 of the batch files

Thank you for your answer =)

Yes, cmd = command window which opens if running that .bat, the Normal Maps Folder remained empty. I do use Notepad++, and Bethesda can't obviously decide how to name their Hearthfire.

At the end, after trying again, I figured out what the problem was. Perhaps it is a good idea to add to your guide (for impatient ppl and cupcakes like myself...:rolleyes: ), that processing those bat-files could take more than 30 minutes if rare (i suspect). It is mentioned in the guide and the readme, it could take a while for the .bat to be executed on non-ssd harddrives. I plainly closed the cmd window too early for the .bat to finish it's work in the first attempts (giving roughly 15 minutes time before doing so, though). The successful attempt showed 32.41 minutes on the timer. Surprised me a bit, even if non-ssd, the harddrive I used is a 7200rpm, shouldn't take that long. Perhaps, running a defrag before doing this helps with speed, i will test that.

However, thank you for your time!

We'll edit the comment on the guide page (in the notice on the page) to include that it can take 30 minutes or so. The old comment about this seems to have been lost when this section was edited to be more concise because of user comments that this guide description was too long :facepalm:.

I've seen HearthFires, Hearthfire, and Hearthfires. I'm never sure what name to use for folders with Hearthfire data.

Thanks for the link, that guide seems much more straight forward, just a quick question though. I have already gone through the process of optimizing the .dds files (as part of the other guides instruction) but I didn't do it the way it is shown in the guide you linked, I just located the .dds files and clicked 'process' so I missed out these steps;

Check the "Show Recursive" box below the center text-box.

Click the red [X] to deselect all files.

In the center text box, type "*.dds" and then click [Apply].

Click the green checkmark to select all filtered files.

Clear the center text box and click [Apply].

Do you think it would be ok to still use the already processed files? It would save the tedium of running the program through all of them again.

Thanks for the link, that guide seems much more straight forward, just a quick question though. I have already gone through the process of optimizing the .dds files (as part of the other guides instruction) but I didn't do it the way it is shown in the guide you linked, I just located the .dds files and clicked 'process' so I missed out these steps;

Check the "Show Recursive" box below the center text-box.

Click the red [X] to deselect all files.

In the center text box, type "*.dds" and then click [Apply].

Click the green checkmark to select all filtered files.

Clear the center text box and click [Apply].

Do you think it would be ok to still use the already processed files? It would save the tedium of running the program through all of them again.

You followed the pointer Nearox provided to the SR:LE instructions. These steps appear several places in the SR:LE instructions and are used for multiple BSAs. Did you leave them off for every BSA and for every set of steps or only some?

One of the main reasons that the batch file approach used in the DDSopt guide was developed was that users following instructions that involve using DDSopt for filtering were making small errors, and all too often they had to start over. The other main reason was to preserve the graphic quality of some of the better quality textures in the vanilla texture set. Personally I find the batch approach to also be more straightforward and less tedious (the current simplified version of it is in the "Optimize Vanilla Skyrim Textures" discussion here) in part because all the vanilla texture BSAs are optimized at once so there is a lot less need for going through DDSopt steps to change filters, etc. (you have to repeat the SR:LE instructions 7 times). However, many users find the approach in the DDSopt guide to be more complicated than the SR:LE instructions, in part at least because Windows batch processing is unfortunately very fussy about system configuration and provides little or no understandable information when there are problems.

I've been testing around a bit with my system and speed. I run a 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, 8gb RAM, i-5 3.5Ghz, and a nVidia GTX 550 Ti (1 GB RAM... aye, gonna replace that one soon with a 2GB GPU), SSD for Gaming, 7200rpm HD 500gb divided for OS and working platine.

Defrag helps a little with speed but what definitely worked was updating my board drivers ... duh! Last test turned out to be 12.53 time for the 2_....whatever.bat. I used the 2.64 version for testing since I did start with that one.

You may want to check your guide once more: I am about to optimize 2 selected texture mods, but since i really have no idea about settings for DDSopt, I relay on the pictures in your guide. Unfortunately, the ones in the Mod Optimizing Tab are 'bad links'. I noticed, you did update the guide and kicked the V1-V3 in the Vanilla Section and might did that for the Mod tab too, but the new pictures aren't there.

The figure references have been fixed, and some other small updates made. Let us know how these parameters work out. There hasn't been as much testing of the optimized STEP mod textures as there has been with the optimized vanilla textures.

I've also noticed that disk related driver updates can make a big difference in HDD/SSD performance. Unfortunately these can sometimes be hard to find since the board manufacturer doesn't always keep these updated on their website. I'm glad you were able to find these for your board.

There is a small problem (file name truncation) in the file that archives mods, 5_Compress_Mods_7z_2.7.bat. A new update to the batch files will contain the fix; that will be the only change in the update.

I've optimized with the patch (2.7) the 2 texture mods (Better Embers, lose files and Hires plants and herbs, both coming with some 2k-4k textures).

From what I saw ingame, the patch worked fine, at least no noticeable errors. But i did not use the integrated 7-zip batch as i do repack them with my own 7-zip application (settings as recommended).

Based on the benchmarking i did (Vanilla as delivered by Steam and then optimized Vanilla), the VRAM usage lowers around 100mb with optimized Vanilla textures exactly done as in the DDSopt guide described (not the quickstart one, mind). What I've found more interesting than that is the fluctuation of VRAM usage. Not optimized, the VRAM usage jumped between 720 and 930 around, 855 average (on my 1GB nVidia). With optimized Vanilla textures and InI tweaks the fluctuation had reduced and went stable between 730 and 760, average 752. FPS was stable in both cases (44 and 43 average) - but optimized no stutters at all (stuttering tested with coc Whiterun, running up to Dragonsreach and coc Sovngarde01 - nice big, open interior with straight lines of view through the whole building).

I'd be adding to the Vanilla DDSopt guide (at the bottom, to avoid ppl asking in the forum or having to dig too much) that the 'load-order' of the just optimized textures in the left pane of MO should be:

STD

Dawnguard

Hearthfires

Dragonborn

HRDLC 1

HRDLC 2

HRDLC 3

and for the sake of it: backup 1) Skyrim - textures.bsa, 2) HRDLC1-3 .bsa including .esp - then remove them from the Data folder (and only those). If you need to validate your Skyrim through Steam, copy-paste them back in to the Data folder (faster than have Steam redownloading 5.6 GB), remove after validation again. Don't forget to TES5Edit-clean the validated DLC's.

If i might add my basic thoughts about graphic improvements. I do run a 1GB graphic card, because originally, my computer wasn't built for gaming but for CPU intense applications (only occasionally a game until i got hooked on Skyrim... dammit!), meaning, my system is capable of doing a lot of math, less rendering. I plan to upgrade the graphic card but til then, I decided to setup Skyrim newly and the graphic improvements according to the gpu specifications, the weakest part of my system.

Basically, if you run a limited system you have to decide what you want: Graphics or Gameplay (pretty much, sightseeing or play-the-game). If you decide the latter, go for 1k textures whenever the mod of your preference offers, some might be even 512 only (holy cow, who needs cows with 2k-4k textures? You mostly only pass by anyway...). Might select another mod that offers similar/same content with already optimized 1k textures (pref. loose files), instead .

Be sensible about these categories: flora/trees/herbs, LOD, Hair/Body-textures. Use STEP XCE as a replacer for all NPC's - use your UNP/CBBE if you want, but only for your own character. Don't load 250 hair models .. seriously - not even with Sheson's Patch (or SKSE 1.7.0 alpha), preCacheKiller and Enboost on top of that, just select what you really need and keep the space free for gameplay or other texture stuff you are fond of. Still granted you have chosen the play-the-game-option.

Flora/trees/herbs and LOD are a culprit for gpu's, even if 2GB VRAM, either don't use these mods at all or add them one by one while testing (take the same route, coc whiterun or similar, run to a pre-defined spot [without altering anything in the console!], might do the full run from city to city until you crash one way or other - the earlier you crash, the more unstable is your setup). Consider stuttering. You might never crash but stutter from A to B. Disable texture beginning with LOD/Trees etc. depending on your preferences - til you don't stutter or you reach a level you think playable. Use your brain and decide, what your absolutely-have-to's are for nice/acceptable graphics. Then consider, if one of the disabled is absolutely needed for your taste and if so, go hassle with DDSopt.

Quite frankly, for testing I do add graphics first, then the Core stuff, then (at a different profile in MO) the stuff for (example) Thief playthrough. And testing the very same things ingame after each, including benchmarking.

Body-Textures are something i avoid to optimize - period. I do not use UNP and the like either, though. Reason: I am simply too lazy (or inexperienced) to figure that one out and quite frankly, I want to spare me the hassle with testing.

Last, I rather like to have enough space in the 3.1 GB limitation for some script intense mods, extra quests (like Vilja companion or Cerwiden, Dual Sheath Redux, CoT, Lanterns of Skyrim, vast Quest mods like Wyrmstooth, ThirteenOranges's mods, Falskaar etc.). Using texture mods will limit you there, noticeably. If you have chosen the sightseeing-option eventually to a point you cannot play any.

And really, every game-engine has it's limitations. They won't do miracles. Don't constantly 'stresstest' while playing your usual game if you do not need to. If you do, you might burn your lovely system to a brick in relatively short time.

In the end, with around 144 mods currently installed for my Thief play (including texture stuff/patches), my graphic card runs at it's limit. Very much so. But mostly smooth as far I got with my new Thief. Perhaps the gpu burns up and I finally get around to buy a 2GB one, and guess what... i won't change much even then, except perhaps adding one or two graphic details I'd like to have but dismissed due my 1GB limitation. =)

ps. sensible driver updates and the task manager are your performance-friends - as well Steam offline-mode, cutting internet line and disabling your antivirus real-time-guard/firewall. Don't forget to turn everything on again once you decided to go sleep/shower/clean-up-the-mess-in-the-kitchen -finally- and shut down Skyrim xD.

Thanks for the detailed post on results of optimization. We don't have as much feedback from people using 1Gb or less VRAM vs. 2Gb or more, so it's especially useful to get results from systems with 1Gb or so VRAM.

We'll be interested to see what you find as you continue playing/testing, and any results from using the mod optimization process.

The 2Kx2K uncompressed malebody_1_msn.dds texture is not changed during vanilla optimization. For improved performance when there are a lot of NPC on screen you might want to optimize it Optimizing to R5G6B5 or 1Kx1K with R5G6B5 seems to work well; there are reported problems when optimized to 1Kx1K at full resolution.

Thanks for the detailed post on results of optimization. We don't have as much feedback from people using 1Gb or less VRAM vs. 2Gb or more, so it's especially useful to get results from systems with 1Gb or so VRAM.

We'll be interested to see what you find as you continue playing/testing, and any results from using the mod optimization process.

The 2Kx2K uncompressed malebody_1_msn.dds texture is not changed during vanilla optimization. For improved performance when there are a lot of NPC on screen you might want to optimize it Optimizing to R5G6B5 or 1Kx1K with R5G6B5 seems to work well; there are reported problems when optimized to 1Kx1K at full resolution.

Yes, shiny male-bodies. If i gonna stutter in crowded area's i gonna try the suggested malebody_1_msn.dds to R5G6B5. Will report back.

I had the same structure problems due to outdated files : could I suggest updating that nexus page https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5755/?  with the correct files

and the page on this STEP wiki that steer user to it  :

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt#tab=QUICK-START_GUIDE

( in Setup DDSopt .....

Download DDSopt 0.8 - pre-release - update 4 from the Nexus and install by extracting the INIs and EXEs into any directory location....

)

I did see that the guide was referencing two different lot of files but I got had with the version ending by .8 (coherent with current step too, 2.2.8 ), I thought that it was definitely better than .73 too bad I missed the 2 before: 2.73. :wallbash:

I had the same structure problems due to outdated files : could I suggest updating that nexus page https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5755/?  with the correct files

Ethatron is the author of DDSopt and controls the nexus page. The updated ddsopt.ini file was created by STEP staff members, so we can't upload this to Ethatron's DDSopt page on nexus.

and the page on this STEP wiki that steer user to it  :

( in Setup DDSopt .....

Download DDSopt 0.8 - pre-release - update 4 from the Nexus and install by extracting the INIs and EXEs into any directory location....

)

Two references in the DDSopt guide to "DDSopt 0.8 - pre-release - update 4" were changed from referencing the overall DDSopt nexus page to referencing the specific DDSopt executable file. Clicking on the reference in the guide now starts the download of the current DDSopt executable (DDSopt 0.8 - pre-release - update 4) from nexus. This should help reduce any confusion.

Wow, I am even more impressed because you were able to understand something from that post since I pretty much mix up two different thing (strange what can do a few hour of installing skyrim when one should be sleeping). The wrong exe download (corrected thanks) and the garbled structure files that wasn't due to ddspot ini but to outdated files batch in

Optimize Vanilla Skyrim Textures

Extracting & Cleaning Vanilla Texture BSAs (brief version)

.... Download the BAT files, and extract the entire contents into the "Working" directory adjacent to Vanilla Extracted

That download give : https://wiki.step-project.com/images/0/05/Batch_Files_for_DDSopt_guide.7z , a batch of files from august 2013!

Can I suggest making all batch file reference directed toward the same spot, a new tab in the guide for example, so at any future update only one reference is to be updated?

Can I suggest making all batch file reference directed toward the same spot, a new tab in the guide for example, so at any future update only one reference is to be updated?

The url reference to the most recent batch file archive, and the reference to the most recent ddsopt.ini, is part of the page header that occurs on every page, so indeed there doesn't need to be separate download references throughout the guide. The reference in the header at the top of the page is a single entry in the underlying 'code" that is then displayed on every page, and should be sufficient.

The additional references that included the url were removed. The reference to the batch file in the page header was added after all the other references were in the "code"; these should have been removed a while ago once the url was put in the page header.

I had a similar problem with the batch file referred to in the previous entries,with the difference that I didn´t have missing files but too much.After running the pre-optimization batch file (it´s version 2.74 as in the guide),I had the full set of folders (DG,DB,HF,HRDLC1,2,3,STD plus an extra "textures" directory) in my optimized textures folder where,according to the guide,only STD and HRDLC3 were supposed to be.I followed all instuctions from the quickstart guide delving deeper and deeper,on each step die-hard quadruple checking each and any file sizes and subdir counts against the screenshots,ran everything in admin mode.

Right now,I´ve deleted all the files in the optimized folder again and reunpacked the HRDLC bsa which I had accidentally DDSopted from redundancies before running before repairing them with the 2_Pre-Optimization_2.74.bat ,as well all the optimized stuff.Maybe I also had inconsistencies due to not only selecting the textures but let DDSopt do the entire bsa contents.The guide´s quite clear on this,but only optimizing/unpacking the textures as the currently recommended approach is quite easy to overlook,as well as the steps including the batch files,at least if you´re not used to this type of operation (I bother with things like this for the first time and thank the heavens for finding the processes and the guides via STEP).

I had to repeat extraction and optimization several times over just to do them again now because I got confused between all the tabs and links to other guides,to be honest..it´s a little hard to keep track and always be sure you followed every step assumed by the next one.

But hell,after about 8 months or so of blind manual installing (impatience,no own www connection) and then hugely improving to NMM,I´m so ******* glad I finally found out what S.T.E.P. really is and the insane amount of help and info it can provide,so I´ll keep and keep hangin on.

Dumping my 800h of playtime so far for a fresh and clean reinstall mustn´t have been for nothing^^

Btw.,welcome me, this is my first forum post..

EDIT:I just checked my downloads and found two .zips with batch files for DDSopt guide.I don´t know where I clicked the download link for which,but one´s titled "Batch_Files_for_DDSopt_guide.7z" and is  14,9 KB, the other one´s "Batch_Files_for_DDSopt_guide_v.74.7z".

And that one has a size of 345 KB.

Edited by Sangson