The Pre-optimization files don't match the guides.

Gundammit

Question

I ran the "2_Pre-optimization.bat2" file and it created the new directory files in /working, but folders don't match the guides. In "Vanilla Normal Maps" it doesn't have anything, in "Vanilla Textures" it's missing the STD file and so forth. Also, the .log file after it ran was just blank with nothing in it. 

I'm sorry if this is some simple problem or it's meant to do that, but these kind of things are so damn complex to me.

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The aforementioned "Batch_Files_for_DDSopt_guide.7z" got downloaded at the link "Download the BAT files,",right next to the first screenshot ("Working Folder Screenshot.") in the DDSopt Quickstart Guide.

I assume one of those two has to be the wrong one.

I had a similar problem with the batch file referred to in the previous entries,with the difference that I didn´t have missing files but too much.After running the pre-optimization batch file (it´s version 2.74 as in the guide),I had the full set of folders (DG,DB,HF,HRDLC1,2,3,STD plus an extra "textures" directory) in my optimized textures folder where,according to the guide,only STD and HRDLC3 were supposed to be.I followed all instuctions from the quickstart guide delving deeper and deeper,on each step die-hard quadruple checking each and any file sizes and subdir counts against the screenshots,ran everything in admin mode.

Make sure you use the batch files contained in "Batch_Files_for_DDSopt_guide_v2.74.7z". The individual batch files in the this archive each have version numbers; the overall version number on the archive file is that of the most recently updated batch file.

Right now,I´ve deleted all the files in the optimized folder again and reunpacked the HRDLC bsa which I had accidentally DDSopted from redundancies before running before repairing them with the 2_Pre-Optimization_2.74.bat ,as well all the optimized stuff.Maybe I also had inconsistencies due to not only selecting the textures but let DDSopt do the entire bsa contents.

The 3 DLC BSAs contain textures as well as other resources. These BSAs have all their contents extracted, but only the textures get optimized. The Pre-optimization batch file ignores everything except textures.

The guide´s quite clear on this,but only optimizing/unpacking the textures as the currently recommended approach is quite easy to overlook,as well as the steps including the batch files,at least if you´re not used to this type of operation (I bother with things like this for the first time and thank the heavens for finding the processes and the guides via STEP).

Only the textures can be optimized; the other resources can't currently be optimized.

I had to repeat extraction and optimization several times over just to do them again now because I got confused between all the tabs and links to other guides,to be honest..it´s a little hard to keep track and always be sure you followed every step assumed by the next one.

But hell,after about 8 months or so of blind manual installing (impatience,no own www connection) and then hugely improving to NMM,I´m so ******* glad I finally found out what S.T.E.P. really is and the insane amount of help and info it can provide,so I´ll keep and keep hangin on.

Dumping my 800h of playtime so far for a fresh and clean reinstall mustn´t have been for nothing^^

Btw.,welcome me, this is my first forum post..

Welcome to STEP

EDIT:I just checked my downloads and found two .zips with batch files for DDSopt guide.I don´t know where I clicked the download link for which,but one´s titled "Batch_Files_for_DDSopt_guide.7z" and is  14,9 KB, the other one´s "Batch_Files_for_DDSopt_guide_v.74.7z".

And that one has a size of 345 KB.

If you are still having a problem let us know. I wasn't sure whether you did or not. The guide was edited a little to try to better cover the questions you mentioned.

I worked it out. When I set up the "Working" folder I named the four sub-sub folders with the brackets. This should be written a little clearer for boofheads like me. 

HRDLC1 (contents of HighResTexturePack01.bsa)          instead of HRDLC1 HRDLC2 (contents of HighResTexturePack02.bsa)          instead of HRDLC2 HRDLC3 (contents of HighResTexturePack03.bsa)          instead of HRDLC3 STD (extract 'Skyrim - textures.bsa' - only)                    instead of STD