NMM and Wrye Smash

bitdman

Question

Hi all! I am using both wrye and NMM to install mods, My question is. Is one better to use to launch the game? since they both have an option to run with SKSE launcher does it matter which one is used? Also when a mod author recommends using NMM to install a mod does this mean it's ok to use wrye smash or should I use NMM instead? Is it ok to use two different mod installers?The game seems to be working very well with STEP's list of mods but I haven't played for very long yet cause I keep doing things that end up breaking the game and have to re-install. I hope to be able to use wrye exclusivley but need to do a lot more reading.

Short answer: It does not matter which program you use to launch skyrim, as long as you launch through SKSE.

Long answer. I would recommend using NMM as a tracking/ download tool and WS as a installing tool. Why? WS lets you see mod conflicts and overwrites, while NMM does not. However, WS is more complicated to use. NMM is fine if you follow STEP guide perfectly, but as soon as you want more flexibility and wish to use other mods you may want to learn how to use WS. So yeah, since you mention "doing things", it may be better to bite the bullet and learn how to exclusively use WS. It will mean much less hassle in the long run.

I'm using NMM to track and Wrye as my installer. I created a backup of all my STEP mods and point NMM to that directory, rather than my Bash Installers directory. This way I can maintain a stable STEP install using Wyre and track mods to see when they are updated. This may seem redundant, but it helps keep a sterile STEP install without accidentally overwriting something.

I do something like venkman for backing up some of the mods I track with NMM. The only mod I actually use NMM to install is SkyUI, since it's really simple. The problem with NMM is that it will all of a sudden stop recognizing the mods you've downloaded and just list their regular file name, so it looks like every mod is out-of-date, super annoying.

I do something like venkman for backing up some of the mods I track with NMM. The only mod I actually use NMM to install is SkyUI since it's really simple. The problem with NMM is that it will all of a sudden stop recognizing the mods you've downloaded and just list their regular file name, so it looks like every mod is out-of-date, super annoying.

I hear ya.  NMM does require a bit of manual input to make sure that it is capturing the correct mod, or more often as is the case, the correct variation of a mod.  For example, I prefer the v1 Ash Pile retexture - but NMM continues to tell me that v2 is the latest, so I have to ignore it.  Perhaps that's not the best example, but when it can be decieving if you don't update regularly.

You could try Mod Organiser to track mods (which is what i use, and download) as you can manually enter the version number if for example you do not want the latest version.

Only workaround is that the mods need to be 'installed' to be tracked - which I do by doing a manual install of one single file.

Note that both NMM and Wrye Bash use significant resources in the background so I would not use either to launch Skyrim unless you are simply testing non-performance-related things... then I'd side with WB.

But you can opt to have them close after the game starts. Are they still running in the background?

Note that both NMM and Wrye Bash use significant resources in the background so I would not use either to launch Skyrim unless you are simply testing non-performance-related things... then I'd side with WB.

But you can opt to have them close after the game starts. Are they still running in the background?

I wasn't aware of this feature in WB (or NMM)... is it new?

I wasn't aware of this feature in WB (or NMM)... is it new?

Been a part of NMM for a while, it's just a checkbox in the settings. I didn't know WB did auto-shutdown, that's cool cuz I usually just leave it on in the background.

Their only resource usage will be memory though. When they aren't doing anything, they are completely idle (at least WB is, I don't have NMM installed currently). My process is using less than 100MB. I don't see any situation where launching from these would cause any problem at all.