STEP v2.2.8 Official Bug Reports

z929669

Mod Organizer has a minor plugin that mentions BCF support. Never used it' date=' don't know if it works. If you're creating fomods, Skyrim Redesigned could use one. For myself, I simply changed it into BAIN format, but that was tedious.[/quote']

def install(self, modNameGuessed, archiveName, version, modid):
        pass
Okay, I guess it isn't functional

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where to post this.

In the AMD CCC guide' date=' there is an instruction to set OpenGL triple buffering on. This is useless and does nothing, because Skyrim is Directx game. If you want to force triple buffering, you have to use Radeon Pro or similar third party tool.

edit: The guide is basically inconsistent with 2.2.8 guide.[/quote']

You are correct. I will look into fixing it. I suspect that ENC vsync incorporates D3D-compat triple-buffering anyway, since it is so smooth.

Sorry' date=' this is not a bug' date=' but rather a general question for the release. I'm not complaining, but are the BCF files going to be maintained for WB users? If not, why have them on the 2.2.8 guide at all? Eventually, a handful of them will be obsolete, right? I'm only asking since you guys said that MO 2.2.8 onward will be MO focused. Thanks :P.[/quote'']

This has been a thorn in my side for a long time. Basically it's been nearly impossible to get a staff member that still uses BCFs to check this out. WilliamImm was doing this for a while I think, but he hasn't been around a great deal (like myself but for separate reasons) to help with that. If going forward will be MO focused, then I would vote to do away with the BCFs and replace them with FOMODs, if need be, which is more geared towards MO. I can write the FOMODs when I return from my no-computer sabbatical.

Doesn't MO have BCF support in terms of plugin?

No I think it uses FOMOD, right? 

BCF is WB only. MO has BAIN support but it's horribly implemented compared to FOMOD support. Think of FOMODs as WB's wizards for MO.

EDIT: Unless the BCF is something new since I've been out of commission.

I really wish someone would write a functional plugin to interpret BCFs and another to execute BAIN wizard scripts ....

Everyone capable of this work has never returned from the holiday break :/

Well I recently realized that Skyrim had vsync enabled in the prefs.ini and i was ALSO using enb to force vsync. I disabled the prefs.ini one. I am going to see if that will give me higher framerates but yea' date=' not sure why d3doverider crashed it.[/quote']

Enabling vsync will not give higher frame rates ... it will effectively cap your rendered frames to you monitor refresh rate (most likely 60 FPS); however, it should give you smoother gameplay, especially where FPS would be really high. Disabling iPresentInterval (=0) is definitely best though, as ENB vsync is better than Skyrim's.

This all 'cures' mocrostutter, but it will not impact 'macro'-stutter caused by high memory demand (beyond the capacities of your system). To fix this, follow the troubleshooting section in the new STEP Guide.

Well less stutter would be fine. I know this isn't the thread for it, but my Skyrim framerates have remained the same going from a 7970 ghz 3Gb to an R9 290 4Gb. I might just need to ramp the fan up to compensate for the crappy cooling. Or might need a new PSU as well. I was hoping this could be the problem but I guess not :-/. I also have 8Gb of System RAM and a good Processor. You can PM me if you have any ideas. I don't want to sway the thread off topic. Thought I'd ask :-P. I've asked essentially everyone. 

iPresentInterval=1 gives me the best results, but I have an Optimus chipset. ENB vsync does not limit my FPS and there is still screen tearing if I look up or down.

I think the problem is the diversity of hardware. It would be nice if the mod pages were a bit more like real wiki pages with a section anyone could put info on at the bottom. A part that had no effect on the guide or any SMW stuff.

But if I don't expect to reach 60 FPS 99% of the time' date=' disabling vsync is actually a good idea for the sake of less input lag, yes?[/quote']

I think so as long as you enable the fpslimiter and have it less than or equal to 60. Ok back on topic (even though it's my fault :-P)! 2.2.8 bugs/problems!!

iPresentInterval=1 gives me the best results' date=' but I have an Optimus chipset. ENB vsync does not limit my FPS and there is still screen tearing if I look up or down.

I think the problem is the diversity of hardware. It would be nice if the mod pages were a bit more like real wiki pages with a section anyone could put info on at the bottom. A part that had no effect on the guide or any SMW stuff.[/quote']

It may well be that enb-based vsync works best with AMD, but I cannot say ... that is why I was hoping to get more feedback on the config results with regard to Nvidia and Intel chipsets (and confirmation with AMD).

Curious though that ENB vsync does not limit your FPS to 60. Are you certain of this?

EnableVSync=true

? ... did you play with VSyncSkipNumFrames=0-3 ?

If you still break past 60 FPS, then it may mean that other ENB-based functions are not being passed. What about Nvidia Inspector or other external tools?

But if I don't expect to reach 60 FPS 99% of the time' date=' disabling vsync is actually a good idea for the sake of less input lag, yes?[/quote']

Input lag is rarely perceptible, but ENB-based vsync may still improve performance ... give it a try to compare if your camera is smoother w/wo. I have a feeling that triple buffering is in effect too with ENB.

There is a setting in enblocal.ini just above the vsync stuff that deals with input lag I think. I know that you can use FPS Limiter (another d3d9.dll) to enforce an inp[ut lag fix (just daisy-chain it to your enb via the preloader I think).

But if I don't expect to reach 60 FPS 99% of the time' date=' disabling vsync is actually a good idea for the sake of less input lag' date=' yes?[/quote'']

I think so as long as you enable the fpslimiter and have it less than or equal to 60. Ok back on topic (even though it's my fault :-P)! 2.2.8 bugs/problems!!

FPS limiting helps microstutter, but vsync cures it. The key is triple buffering to reduce the FPS hit caused by frame rates

OK, back on topic :P

The AMD CCC instructions say to "override application settings with 16x anisitropic filtering.' I thought ENBoost was supposed to handle AF?

It can, but it costs an extra 3-4 FPS in my testing. Same exact effect with a slight FPS cost (on my system though) ... it would be good to have confirmation of this cost on other systems.

The AMD CCC instructions say to "override application settings with 16x anisitropic filtering.' I thought ENBoost was supposed to handle AF?

It can, but it costs an extra 3-4 FPS in my testing. Same exact effect with a slight FPS cost (on my system though) ... it would be good to have confirmation of this cost on other systems.

Why not use the ingame setting?