STEP v2.2.8 Official Bug Reports

z929669

Sorry' date=' this is not a bug' date=' but rather a general question for the release. I'm not complaining, but are the BCF files going to be maintained for WB users? If not, why have them on the 2.2.8 guide at all? Eventually, a handful of them will be obsolete, right? I'm only asking since you guys said that MO 2.2.8 onward will be MO focused. Thanks :P.[/quote'']

This has been a thorn in my side for a long time. Basically it's been nearly impossible to get a staff member that still uses BCFs to check this out. WilliamImm was doing this for a while I think, but he hasn't been around a great deal (like myself but for separate reasons) to help with that. If going forward will be MO focused, then I would vote to do away with the BCFs and replace them with FOMODs, if need be, which is more geared towards MO. I can write the FOMODs when I return from my no-computer sabbatical.

I've used BCF files for three reasons:

• to support users with Wrye Bash as a mod manager (of course, meanwhile STEP is moving toward MO since it has several unique useful features for STEP installs)
  • to selectively keep individual files from being installed from a mod archive (unlike WB, MO can do this with manual mod installs; is there a more automated way that MO can do this?)
  • to create a single mod installation files that combine multiple archive files associated with a single mod; e.g., combining the Elemental Staffs mod and its update, or the Skill Interface Retexture and its Dawnguard addon. (I haven't seen any simple automated way to do this other than BCF files. I think we should use BCFs for this more often unless there is an alternate way to do this; I haven't seen anyone do this with Fomods. IMO it's probably the most useful capability of BCFs for use with STEP.)

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the second point, you can click the manual button for installs and customize them anyway you want, plus you can restructure the files the way you want them installs, even creating new folders.

For the Third point you can't combine archives through MO, but you can choose where to install a mod, so you can install multiple archives into one mod folder.

The things that really make me like MO is profiles and the search bars for mod list, downloads, plugins, and data folder.

Okay' date=' the Changelog on the guide should be an external link or it should have a link back to the guide on the page. That really bothers me when working with development page and there is no link back to the guide.[/quote']

OK, will fix on the morrow (sleep now)

The AMD CCC instructions say to "override application settings with 16x anisitropic filtering.' I thought ENBoost was supposed to handle AF?

It can' date=' but it costs an extra 3-4 FPS in my testing. Same exact effect with a slight FPS cost (on my system though) ... it would be good to have confirmation of this cost on other systems.[/quote']

Why not use the ingame setting?

Got me there. No good reason other than simplification really. simpler to stick with one area of config. It might be worth testing if there is a performance diff though.

Sorry' date=' this is not a bug' date=' but rather a general question for the release. I'm not complaining, but are the BCF files going to be maintained for WB users? If not, why have them on the 2.2.8 guide at all? Eventually, a handful of them will be obsolete, right? I'm only asking since you guys said that MO 2.2.8 onward will be MO focused. Thanks :P.[/quote'']

This has been a thorn in my side for a long time. Basically it's been nearly impossible to get a staff member that still uses BCFs to check this out. WilliamImm was doing this for a while I think, but he hasn't been around a great deal (like myself but for separate reasons) to help with that. If going forward will be MO focused, then I would vote to do away with the BCFs and replace them with FOMODs, if need be, which is more geared towards MO. I can write the FOMODs when I return from my no-computer sabbatical.

I've used BCF files for three reasons:

• to support users with Wrye Bash as a mod manager (of course, meanwhile STEP is moving toward MO since it has several unique useful features for STEP installs)
  • to selectively keep individual files from being installed from a mod archive (unlike WB, MO can do this with manual mod installs; is there a more automated way that MO can do this?)
  • to create a single mod installation files that combine multiple archive files associated with a single mod; e.g., combining the Elemental Staffs mod and its update, or the Skill Interface Retexture and its Dawnguard addon. (I haven't seen any simple automated way to do this other than BCF files. I think we should use BCFs for this more often unless there is an alternate way to do this; I haven't seen anyone do this with Fomods. IMO it's probably the most useful capability of BCFs for use with STEP.)

I am finding MO more and more convenient. For example, I used to download all pieces of a mod (from same Nexus site) and combine them into a BAIN just as you describe. I repackaged everything for WB, just because I am controlling like that. A good example is the AOS Patches. I am using about 10 of those in my Requiem build (we use a few for STEP too). Previously, I would repackage the entire thing into one BAIN and rename that as "L_AOS_BAIN-v1.51.#####", but now I simply download each one and rename the packages directly ("L_AOSP whaterver it is already named"). Then I right click the package, query the info, and install (starting with the main package). Each subsequent option, I do the same, and I have the choice to 'replace' or 'merge', so I do the latter. This produces nice neat directory 'packages' which are applied at launch. I save a ton of time this way. This along with the ability to 'hide' files in the file tree (rather than omit them from the repacked packages) saves me a ton of time without reorg or loss of information.

AMidianBorn Book of Silence.

The Armors section does not describe "Steel Plate", "Leather", "Fur", "Dwarven", "Ancient Nord".

All these have two options, and None. Example Leater has the options "Leather" and "None".

For me its not clear what to select.

The same is true for for example 'Creatures' and proably the rest as well.

The Armors section does not describe "Steel Plate", "Leather", "Fur", "Dwarven", "Ancient Nord".

All these have two options, and None. Example Leater has the options "Leather" and "None".

For many sections, there is simply an the option to install or not 'none'. The instructions say to install 'all' options and to select a specified option where there is 'more than one option' (i.e., 'none' and at least two options). This allows us not to have to specify each and every explicit option where there is no other option besides 'null'.

I think it is pretty intuitive, since you will notice that we do not indicate anything for 'Weapons' at all, since the installer has an 'install all' option right up front. Perhaps we could make the wording a bit clear around 'all' and "where there is more than one option"

Whatever is supposed to be under 'Unofficial High Resolution Patch' isn't showing up.

/Fixed. It was Weapons and Armor Fixes.

This varies from whether you use the built-in fomod installer and the NCC installer. NCC will merely have the options, whereas the other one, which you used (not a problem), adds a none option (which I like). Maybe we should switch to a format akin to Neovalen's, where he simply names the options to use.

Why are we now installing 'imp_guard_helm.esp' for the Weapons and Armor fixes ICH patch? Isn't that from the Tighter Eye Holes Option? I don't see anything that says to install that optional. Only the no cloth around the neck optional.

EDIT: Did you mean to say to only install:

Improved Closedfaced helmets_legendary

Im_helm

imp_helm_imp

There should be no Imp_guard_helm since STEp doesn't (or the guide doesn't) say to install the 'tighter guard eye holes option' for ICH.

Whatever is supposed to be under 'Unofficial High Resolution Patch' isn't showing up.

/Fixed. It was Weapons and Armor Fixes.

This varies from whether you use the built-in fomod installer and the NCC installer. NCC will merely have the options, whereas the other one, which you used (not a problem), adds a none option (which I like). Maybe we should switch to a format akin to Neovalen's, where he simply names the options to use.

Yes, this is best for us ... however, some factions will always be confused with out an explicit instruction for every variation. That is not an option for us though, and I also don't think that supporting the resolution of such minor confusions is something we need to worry about. People need to do a bit of second-grade problem-solving on their own :/ (not you Wolverine! Those instructions were admittedly a bit unclear until I just changed them)

Why are we now installing 'imp_guard_helm.esp' for the Weapons and Armor fixes ICH patch? Isn't that from the Tighter Eye Holes Option? I don't see anything that says to install that optional. Only the no cloth around the neck optional.

Im_helm

imp_helm_imp

There should be no Imp_guard_helm since STEp doesn't (or the guide doesn't) say to install the 'tighter guard eye holes option' for ICH.

I think you may be right. I've messed with that mod and page so much lately I've forgotten what is actually supposed to be installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im_helm

imp_helm_imp

I think you may be right. I've messed with that mod and page so much lately I've forgotten what is actually supposed to be installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be good to nail down what specifically to install, since this plays closely with WAF, and none of the plugins are actually needed from this mod.

I vote to include all:

• Full Set
  • DG
  • DB
  • no cloth
  • tighter eyeholes
  • aMB ebony compat is for special aMB version, right?