v2.2.9 Development

z929669

Do you really have to start skyrim launcher AND then also open options menu or can't you just do this already within MO? Also i wouldn't recommend changing any setting if you have to start it once(and open option menu)[maybe just first detection but not more], because you will do it later within MO and it's profiles.

So i would move anything that changes something with vanilla skyrim in the STEP guide after MO, so your changes will only be in the MO profiles. I set up a Vanilla+DLC profile, so i can change fast between settings, to test changes(new mods/profiles). To do so i start the skyrim launcher through MO.

[i prefer a chronological order so i also would install at the end of the mod installation but you may have discussed those things in the past]

Edited by Simondererste

Oh i thought if i copy from my Vanilla+dlc profile it will also take those ini files. So does it in fact always take the ini that where created by the first start?

I thought if you have a vanilla profile on what you can fall back it would be a nice way to verify if a new mod is working and so you can make a nice easy comparison(hm maybe i just need to do this through start with steam or will this mess up ini files or anything else?).

Another thing: I can't tell the difference between normal settings and tweaked ini settings for

[Combat] ;Shift the point of aim to the center of the aiming reticule for arrows and crossbows. ...

Posted ImagePosted Image

swift may be just through unsteady aiming. Don't know. I will keep it in also i can't tell the difference.

Edited by Simondererste

:dry:  nope. I have taken 18+ screens like those 2 with different settings + different actions. no weapon dagger bow 1p 3p ... but whatever. I need to infest far more hours into skyrim modding till i really can say what is useless and what is not. My biggest fear is that i just did a mistake and it didn't changed anything in game.

Actually the main reason why we have you launch the Launcher first is to make absolutely sure the INI files exist before launching Mod Organizer, as STEP is created so it can be used upon first install, and if those INI files don't exist, Mod Organizer will throw a fit.

As to the combat tweaks, I believe it doesn't shift the reticule. Instead it shifts where the arrow goes to match the reticule. It really doesn't work for me. I actually have mine set to .64 instead of .70.

Ty for your answer DoubleYou.

My approach was: Doing 1. and 2. of the Skyrim Launcher guide outside of MO(through steam).

And then the rest is done in MO.

So now i have the automatic detected setting and the right resolution.

Any change will be done through MO. No need to start Skyrim outside of MO again => vanilla inis won't be changed anymore and so can work as a backup.

Changing anything of that is already altering the vanilla state, which may be needed for a heavy modded profile, but maybe not for all(lighter once).

Another thing i noticed:

Install mods in the order that they are presented in the following tables in order to achieve the desired result.

This note from Final Pre-Installation Notes doesn't satisfy me as a MO user and may be changed in 2.2.9.

So that most of the STEP users will use MO especially the lesser informed users this is not 100% precise.

You can download and install mods whenever you want with MO!

Important to achieve the desired STEP result is:

• Mod priority order on the left pane of MO(which can be easily changed with no respect to download/install time)
  • Checking the BSA or only checking ESP(dummy ESPs shouldn't be checked but their BSAs)[MO is automatically checking the esp when you activate the mod but not the BSA?!?]
  • Load order in the right pane under Plugin tab(should be handled by LOOT)

If it the STEP guide makes those clear, at least 1. and 2. the STEP user don't need to worry about ordering at all(even if MO gives a warning).

3. is just: Install LOOT, run it, be happy, if the user strictly follows the (core)guide, and if LOOT order is the desired one(else add: then move esp to x-priority).

Edited by Simondererste

First I have to thank the STEP developer team for their work. STEP is great. I just startet Skyrim (actually I didn't play more than a few minutes) and was looking for some detailed enhancement guides and was pointed to STEP. This is exactly what I wanted!. I appreciate all the efforts that have been taken to keep this project alive - kudos to all of You.A noob like me quickly got lost in all the guides, explanations and I made misstakes here and there but I'm eager to learn and will not play Skyrim untill STEP is working.It took me some time to install STEP core 2.2.8 and I was about to beginn with the extended version but then had to reinstall Skyrim and start over (my foult). Unfortunetelly I will have to stop gaming for a few weeks because there is some work in reallife for me to do.What troubles me now is my timing. I have learned much about STEP 2.2.8, worked some time with Mod Organiser 1.1.2, installed BOSS, tried SKSE 1.6. Now I have to take a break.Some frustrating moments I had untill now were when I discovered some dependancies like: I could use Skyrim Memory Patch with STEP 2.2.8 but need to update to SKSE 1.7 which is not recommended yet, I needed a Requiem Dawnguard patch which is currently hiden due to updates, learned to use Mod Organiser 1.1.2. but reading that 1.1.6 will be released soon. Finally discovering STEP 2.2.9 is coming and it will use LOOT not BOSS.Actually this is not a problem, I like to see everything is developing and geting optimized, but just think it's not a good point for me to start using step just before a new release.I feel like I will have to relearn and reinstall a lot of things and loose more time.What do You think?Would it be better to wait a few days/weeks/months untill• STEP 2.2.9 is finished• Mod Organizer 1.1.6 is STEP approved• SKSE 1.7 alpha gets a STEP approved status so I can safely use Shesons Skyrim Memory PatchI don't know how long it will take until this status is reached or if an optimal starting point will ever be reached – when all patches/utilities/extenders have a similiar developement level.Or is getting into STEP more like "jumping into a raging torrent and getting used to swim with the currents" then "making my first swimming attempts in a wading pool".If I should wait – how long will it take – I don't need a binding, official statement, but it would be great to hear one ;-)Thanks. 

STEP 2.2.9 will be released shortly after MO 1.2.7 releases. We are awaiting some changes which are coming in that version. Also, 2.2.9 will likely recommend SKSE 1.7 Alpha with the memory fixes. I think just about the entire staff has been using it without any issues at all (I know I have been for testing.)