Help Preparing for 1.6?

VampLena

Question

Hey guys, im new here and would like some help. I got Skyrim at launch and modded it some in the early days of Step and took a break for awhile and recently came back after hearing about Dawnguard (As is obvious I love vampires and being Vamp in Skyrim) and I guess all the patches in the intervening time seriously messed up my game and I cant load my old saves anymore, and my mods where all out of date and all.

So I deleted it all and started over the problem is, I dont want to run into all this AGAIN when 1.6 hits, so I was wondering if there is any section of the Step guide to skip or do up to so I can play the game and be fine when 1.6 hits and not need to wait for all those mods to get upgraded.

Thanks for any help, I just want to be ready and not end up having to start over because it breaks alot of mods.

14 answers to this question

Best advice I can give you is just stick with STEP mods and always follow the clean save routine when adding, upgrading, or removing mods from your game.

But mods themselves are gonna break when 1.6 goes live and they will break again when dawngaurd is released for PC in July, XBox gets it exclusive before any other platform on June 26th.

No way to prepare for that stuff, just gotta wait for mod authors to fix the compatibility issues and that takes time.

Most mods work fine with 1.6 beta. Sadly the unofficial patch has some issues that might take them some time to fix with dialogue gone missing etc (this will be true for every mod that has edits to vanilla dialogue). Also script dragon mods do not work.

If you want 1.6 now, then the simplest thing to do is to run base vanilla and perhaps some of the main texture replacements recommended by STEP. Avoid anything with a plugin and avoid any of the script utilities unless you know what you are doing.

I did not know that :lol:

Nonetheless, I will let you inform me then of any STEP mods that are broken in 1.6, and I will consider updating if nothing great is broken (once SD and SKSE are updated that is) :P

BTW, Ethatron need help testing prev rel III of DDSopt. you will want to rerun all textures through it, as there are some nice improvements :yes:

SKSE is updated already, both 1.6 betapatches have had SKSE releases within hours. Have my doubts SD will be updated at all, and if it is it will probably take quite some time. Almost everything SD does is possible with SKSE since a few revisions ago anyway so there's not much point for it anymore.

As for mods, USKP has some issues with dialogue but is still useable if you can overlook that, and killmove-mods no longer function (until updated ofc) due to changes to how the system works.

Thanks for he replys, looks like it wont be so bad when the update hits if I stick to the basics and avoid vastly outdated mods/mods that the authors havent updated for months.

Would I be okay just following the STEP Guide from B (texture mods) to D (sound mods) then wait for the 1.6 updated STEP guide?

Just use Wrye Bash to install your mods and test after each install that messes with anything other than textures. If you find that you cannot boot or something else weird is going on, simply uninstall the last mod, skip it and move on.

Wyre Bash? Im not such an advanced user. I barely know how to make Bash files and even then I dont know if im doing it properly. I usually stick to Nexus Mod Manager. Wyre is just way too complicated for anyone who doesn't have a fundamental understanding of 'rocket science modding'.

Then I would say that you should either dive in the deep end or hold back on installing STEP with 1.6 until we have that procedure published ;)

Check out the WB guide on the wiki. It is pretty straight forward, any you will learn a lot :yes:

Use it to install STEP with 1.5.26, and you will be ready for whatever comes next.

Wyre Bash? Im not such an advanced user. I barely know how to make Bash files and even then I dont know if im doing it properly. I usually stick to Nexus Mod Manager. Wyre is just way too complicated for anyone who doesn't have a fundamental understanding of 'rocket science modding'.

What's to know? Move archives into your bash installs folder, run bash, click files and select install. The only thing really new is that the order your mods are listed in Bash really matters, but thats pretty easy to understand. Whats intimidating for new users is the vast amount of information available to them, but you quickly come to depend on having that information and realize how blindly you were fumbling about before you had it :D

NMM is to Rotary Phone your grandma uses as Wrye Bash is to Smartphone, theres a learning curve but the advantages become clear pretty quickly and you will never go back.