Mod Organizer Guide

frihyland

I don't know if this is the place for suggestions but hot hard would it be to add a search to find the mods on M.O. Having quite a number of them can be a daunting task scrolling trying to find them.

Why not use the search function? It is the box on the right bellow the both the left and right pane that says NameFilter.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to ask a question about the archives tab in MO.

If the box "Let MO handle archives" is checked, this means that plugins will be loaded according to the Mod list in the left pane, right?

If the box is unchecked, plugins will be loaded according to the plugin list on the right pane.

In the SR-LE guide it says to keep the box checked, and also to run boss every time I add a mod that contains esp or esm files.

Now, here's what I dont understand:

If I run BOSS via MO, it only sorts the plugins on the right pane and not the mod order on the left pane.

But if the above box is checked and the mods will be loaded according to the mod list (left pane), so the Boss sorting doesn't have any effect.

So does this mean I have to change my mod order on the left pane according to the BOSS results?

But then why is it so important in which order I install all the mods?

The "Let MO handle archives" checkbox isn't for plugins. It's for BSAs (archives). When this is checked, MO will notify you if a plugin (ESP) is a "dummy" that simply extracts the BSA. You'll see a "sweeper" icon next to these plugins. Hovering over this icon, MO will tell you that you may safely disable the plugin. This is a feature that helps to save ESP slots which would otherwise be wasted by dummy plugins that do nothing more than extract the BSAs.

BOSS/LOOT only sorts plugins (ESMs/ESPs...in the right pane). Your install order in the left pane will never be changed by these tools. Do not change the mod order yourself. Install the mods in the order the Guide says and leave them in that order. This is important to properly resolve asset conflicts like textures and meshes (some mods will overwrite parts of other mods and this is intended behavior).

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I will follow your advice, but I thought that mods and plugins actually were more or less the same (except for archives), and that the mods in the left pane were just showing the load order of the corresponding plugins. But from your answer it sounds more like the plugin load order and the mod load order can be completely different?

• 4 weeks later...

The Dawnguard textures optimized, Hearthfires textures optimized, and Dragonborn textures optimized folders can then be removed/deleted from the <code>Mod Organizer\mods</code> folder ...

thanks, i'm probably going to need that wiggle room soon!

• 1 month later...

This thread is for discussion of the Mod Organizer Guide, and should not be used for support/troubleshooting.

I will be updating this a bit in the near future, fixing issues. I noticed some useful additions and thank those who have contributed to the documentation, especially GrantSP.

For future reference, I see that some MO bugs have been noted in the guide. For instance, a workaround for a shortcut bug appears like this currently:

Installation
Installation

• Download the main file from either the Nexus mod page or the Sourceforge files page.
  • Install into any folder outside User Account Control (the game's main directory is recommended).
  • To create a shortcut on your desktop, right-click the ModOrganizer executable, hover over the Send To menu, and select Desktop (create shortcut).
20px-Warning-Logo.png       Warning:Before launching Mod Organizer, launch the game at least once so all configuration files are available.
20px-Bug-Logo.png       Bug:Although it is not always an issue, check any desktop shortcuts that load MO and remove any entries in the "Start in:" field.

In future, I strong suggest that this kind of info be placed inside {{Bug Small|text=This is the bug and the workaround, if any.}} and a link to the issue on the Bug Tracker so that it can be easily removed once fixed.

• 1 month later...

And please can you explain how MO and SKSE work with each other ? I mean if I have installed one tweak through MO , and the main game as well, then change the .ini from the main game directory, which version is MO going to run ?

Also I have the HDT plugin installed both on the main directory and through MO, so if I install another HDT mod that will replace the skse plugins through MO , how is it supposed to work ? Will the game still run the original hdt xml or the replaced ones ?

• 4 months later...

A suggestion for updating the MO guide, as well as the main STEP guide:

Expand on merge vs. replace vs. rename.

Perhaps a simple recommendation on what to do with optional or miscellaneous files for the main Skyrim STEP guide (whether to merge or re-name optionals to keep them as separate files). I would suggest another blue box with the MO symbol, with the recommendation between the "Mod Tables Legend" and "STEP 1".

A more detailed explanation of the differences could be put in the MO guide. (That replace should be used to update mod versions unless it is a hotfix, etc.)

Currently, the only information I could find in the various guides on the wiki (main STEP guide, MO guide and Advanced MO guide) is a warning in the MO guide about uninstalling merged mods.

I feel that having a recommendation on what to do with optional (or multiple files for the same mod) from the STEP team would be quite beneficial for users.

As an aside, what do you guys do with optional files, or multiple files for the same mod? Merge, or re-name?

I have always merged them, but recently I've read about those that always re-name them to preserve separate files for all downloads.

Edited by Nebulous112