Forum Layout

Spock

Question

Since the other thread got locked and I couldn't find another topic of this sort I thought I'd just start it.

I'm sitting about 2 meters from my 30" monitor, I have to zoom to compfortably read at that distance and my resolution. The line spacing of the forum seems fairly large, information is mostly spread vertically. When I zoom in to the point where the subforum list lines up with the right end of my monitor I can see only very few threads. This makes navigating the forums more complex for me because I can simply see less information at once with the same font size. I would much prefer if the boxes representing subforums would align with the right end of my browser, scaling with zoom and the recent topics would go elsewere.

Also the palette option to the left of the forum distracts my vision. And maybe category headlines with more contrast would be desirable too.

I say this without having tested any different themes, but I usually browse the forums as guest.

[edit]Also line spacings and thus layout of posts appear different in the editor then they do in the post. It would be helpful if they didn't. Generally the font size seems small compared to the geometry of less important things in the forum (like avatars etc.)

Edited by z929669

Zed: If a member chooses a skin, that skin will be their default no matter what you set the global default to... Unless you outright delete the others (which I wouldn't recommend, especially not the mobile one)Speaking of forum layout, why did the "Support and Troubleshooting" and "Republic of STEP" subforums get swapped with the migration anyway?

These have been switched to top-level forums. All the forums/threads that were within are still there minus the "Solved" forums.

Could you guys clear your cache to make should the layout isn't loading from your cache. Ctrl+F5

How can you even throw someone in a pit if he's hanging?

These have been switched to top-level forums. All the forums/threads that were within are still there minus the "Solved" forums.

What I meant is that in the index view of the forums, the categories used to be in this order:Town CrierRepublic of STEPSupport and TroubleshootingTamriel TradersTownshipsBlacksmithAnd now, "Support and Troubleshooting" and "Republic of STEP" got swapped around D:

You mean the original look of this particular forum software?

The old STEP forums had completely different colours. This is close to burning my eyes out.

Why can't we just choose the default white style?

Edited by Octopuss

We are working on toning down the dark post color to the dusty blue tone. The default forums are not branded for STEP, and we are not going to brand two interim skins. Furthermore, I personally find black text on white to be much more harsh on my own eyes. That is the same color as most software interfaces, and I spend all day burning my eyes on  that, as I am sure most people do.

@CJ2311

s4n wanted to split out the support forums and place them up top, since they were getting so huge.

We are working on toning down the dark post color to the dusty blue tone. The default forums are not branded for STEP, and we are not going to brand two interim skins. Furthermore, I personally find black text on white to be much more harsh on my own eyes. That is the same color as most software interfaces, and I spend all day burning my eyes on  that, as I am sure most people do.

Amen. Thankfully most software is starting to offer a dark theme option like Photoshop and 3ds Max.

@CJ2311s4n wanted to split out the support forums and place them up top, since they were getting so huge.

Oh okay it seems a bit silly but whatever =)

I still don't understand why I shouldn't be allowed to choose what suits my eyes better - especially since no work is apparently needed to do that - the white style has been there since the forums were switched!

Edited by Octopuss
  • +1 1

If I was to add any pseudonstructive feedback to the style, I'd say

1) there are some icons missing in the forum listing (unless the little rectangles saying "old" are intended)

2) try to think of a change for the new content page. The part black, part brown, part purple background colour is especially horrible there, and also all the text is blending together. Something with fonts could probably make it better readable.

We will eventually brand a lighter theme, but the OPS community branding is not what we came from, and it is not where we are going. We  will consider branding a light-ish theme (black on light gray-ish) at some point.

IPS default is not coming back. That was purely a result of the transition and was never intended to last long.

STEP is a dark-themed site by default, and we are not going to bend that to the will of a few. Most people prefer a dark theme, especially for game-related sites. Again, light may come later.

I'll look into the New Content colors now ....

I like new forum but there is one, small not so problem (forgive my paint-level drawings): Posted Image This is all I see when I open a topic.

I agree. I will see about reducing that ocean of vertical space.

Actually, roughly 40% of people like dark themes, but that's mostly because dark themes done right can be effective at giving an air of elegance. Beyond that, studies have shown that light text on dark backgrounds is harder to read than dark on light, especially for those with astigmatism.

I'm personally becoming less a fan of dark sites for forums or blogs, or anything that has any information worth reading. The only thing that strains my eyes more is a pure white background.

A light theme will definitely be planned.

Odd. I have an astigmatism and I've always found white on black easier to read for electronic devices such as tablets and (usually) on computer screens. I do not like the light blue on darker blue of the current theme so much but it isn't painful to look at. I DO like the darker blue but I dislike the lighter blue text. As s4n says I find pure white backgrounds quite a bother. I can see Octo's point though.

I'd like to add I found the black with grey text from the other day a little nicer to read but I like the dark blue but the text colour ruins it..