Acronyms: Wants & Issues

WilliamImm

Question

IP Boards has a nice ability to 'disambiguate' the plethora of acronyms that we use at STEP (simply place the cursor over an acronym to see what it translates to in real language). If you DO NOT see the translation on mouse hover, then the acronym is not yet defined.

While we have added many of the most common:
AFAIK
IIRC
SRO ...

Many are probably still needed, so please post here if there are any that you think should be added or post if there are issues with existing acronym conversions.

- STEP

WilliamImm
Well, only the one - the SMIM acronym currently reads "Skyrim Mesh Improvement Mod (mod)". Not only is the actual name of the mod "Static Mesh Improvement Mod", the (mod) tag is redundant because the acryonym expands to include "mod".

Also, EBQO (which I use frequently when referring to Even Better Quest Objectives) and REGS (Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim, also frequently used now) should be listed in the acronym lists.

Edited by TechAngel85
z929669: Added thread premise

• Answers 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A few more TLAs for the growing list...

AAE - Advanced Adversary Encounters

CR - Conflict Resolution

DDC = Diverse Dragons Collection

LOTD - Legend of the Dragonborn

RoTE - Revenge of the Enemies

MLU - Morrowloot Ultimate

MUS - Morroloot Ultimate Simplified

These have been added.

CR will not be added because it's too short and can be a multitude of things.

RoTE is case sensitive because "rote" is an actual word.

if these are already done.

SRLE: Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition (Neos Guide)

SRLEE: Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition Extended (My guide)

SRLE Ext: Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition Extended (My guide again)

SRLEE: LoTD Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition Extended Legacy of The Dragonborn (my new guide)

SRLEE has been added. As you can see, the last one in the list has been taken care of from this addition and the previous addition above.

If you need to make up your mind which to call your guide (SRLEE: Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition Extended or Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition Extended). If this is the same guide, pick one naming convention and stick with it.

APO: Armor Progression Overhaul

BCS: Book Covers Skyrim

IW: Immersive Weapons

MIL: More Interesting Loot

WAA: Weapons and Armors Attributes

WAFR: Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade

What is DBM? I found this in the SRLE Extended: Legacy of the Dragonborn topic but I haven't worked out what it is yet. Ya gotta love all these TLAs. :O_o:

APO: Armor Progression Overhaul

BCS: Book Covers Skyrim

IW: Immersive Weapons

MIL: More Interesting Loot

WAA: Weapons and Armors Attributes

WAFR: Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade

What is DBM? I found this in the SRLE Extended: Legacy of the Dragonborn topic but I haven't worked out what it is yet. Ya gotta love all these TLAs. :O_o:

SIC: Skyrim Immersive Creatures

Added but again, two letter acronyms rarely get added because they can mean so many things.

WAFR is also WAF for sort. That's the first time I've seen it as WAFR.

SMC - Skyrim Mod Combiner

And I know it's been requested before and rejected because it is a two-letter initialism, but it really would be good to have CR (Conflict Resolution) in the system. Used fairly frequently, and I don't think newbies would have a clue as to its meaning. I also can't think of anything else CR could refer to.

SMC - added.

No, two letter can't be added unless they are very common. The only place I've seen 'CR' used in over on SRLE so I'm not going to add something that is just really specific to that guide. As for my reasons for not adding two letter acronyms...

• Candle Retexures
  • Canis Root
  • Cannibalism Reloaded
  • Carbon's Retextures
  • Casting Regeneration
  • Castle Riverwood
  • Cat Resources
  • Catari Race
  • Categories Redone
  • Cathay-raht Race
  • Changing Rooms
  • chaos ripper
  • Charcani RaceV2
  • Charons Revenge
  • Chastener's Reward
  • Chimer Race

...all names of mods pulled directed from Nexus. Have I made my point yet because that's just through "Ch"? I can keep going.  :^_^:

Lol. Now every time I see CR I am going to think of Cannibalism Reloaded. Lol. Honestly, why not just say "conflict resolution"?

Maybe 4 April Fools day we can implement that acronym just to get everyone confused.

Yeah, I agree. It's just getting a little lazy not typing out two words that is only saving the average typist 1-2 seconds.

As much as I dislike acroyms because of the potential for confusion and miscommunication, I have to confess I am really grateful this crowd hasn't fallen into txting yet.

tell me about it whenever my 13 year daughter texts me I have to reach of a decrypter to try an dunderstand what she is saying. but usually either she want money or a pickup :^_^: .