Other Games

I would recommend Civilization IV with Beyond the Sword Content because you can add those Mods that are just a must-have for me (either Rise of Mankind A New Dawn OR Realism Invictus). But if someone has another good mod, please add to the list :D

Civ 4 has a lot of contents with these mods that enchance gameplay, realism and tactics. Also it's much more difficult than Civ 5, but that's actually what bothers me in Civ 5. It just feels way too easy. I only tried it for a short time, thoug and I think Civ 5 has a lot of potential, don't get me wrong - but there are still a lot of things they have to change/add if they want old CIV 4 fans to prefer Civ 5.

And of course, you can buy Civ 4 with all expansion packs for 10-20 euros :D :yes:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, first I'll list my favorite games that I can remember: Alice, Age of Empires (all), Caesar III, Thief (all), Hitman: Silent Assassin, Total War (all, period), Deus Ex, Half Life 2, GTA (3, VC, SA, 4), Witcher (both), Divinity: Dragon Knight Saga (this game rules-no matter what experiences you may have had w/ its imperfect predecessors, this re-vamped anthology rules!).

Secondly, there are games that I thoroughly enjoyed, but didn't stick w/, for a variety of reasons: Age of Conan, EVE: Online, Europa Universalis (3, Rome, Vae Victus), Crusader Kings 2, Portal (1, 2), Alice: Madness Returns, Civ 5 (played 4 also, but not until after 5), various city building, various political simulations.

Of course there are games that I've forgotten that could be on either of these lists; these are just off the top of my head.

I'd be interested in reading lists of games people have hated, such as Fable 3, or Stronghold 3.

Damn, ya'll have played way more games than me on average... I think i just tend to stick with 1 or 2 games for a very long time, a year or 2.

Had a stint on WoW, got bored. And was mostly playing CSS exclusively since Hl2 was released, just stopped a year or 2 ago. Thats about it, on top of previous list.

Back to Civ 4!

It certainly takes time, a spare weekend is about the right amount :P And thats in quick mode with plenty of breaks.

Well, i dont use any mods for Civ4 BTS, since i think i would find it even more difficult. I also always play quick mode, huge maps (lake + low sea level). 12 civs to compete against.

I like to play as a warlord, so i almost always pick a civ that has units for an early rush (incans, native americans, sometimes roman for pret, but thats stretching early rush), and can usually take out a neighboring civ before turn 25. And i never go beyond 4 cities initially.

Perhaps i should take a less aggressive approach...

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread to give a shout out to DayZ, which I've been playing when I get bored of babysitting my STEP mod updates.  Quite a bit different than your standard shoot 'em up zombie game. The atmosphere is super creepy, and its fairly challenging to survive thanks to elements like hunger, thirst, temperature and blood loss that you have to combat as you move around the massive map to find weapons and supplies. It has a few bugs due to the ArmaII source code and the fact that its still an Alpha, but I'm fairly hooked.