Attachments

Octopuss

Question

You can upload up to 24.96KB of files (Max. single file size: 24.96KB)

...is this a joke? No, seriously, I know storage is not infinite, but this is not even enough for a text file.

Also, is there some hidden setting preventing me from uploading attachments in specific sections of the forum? I really did need to attach a small screenshot in DSR thread, but couldn't.

13 answers to this question

The admins probably haven't set that up yet. You shouldn't be attaching screenshots though. We use third party services for this. Imgur is a great place to host your shots. You can then link to them in the forum or include them in a post using the image button in the formatting toolbar.

You shouldn't be attaching screenshots though.

Why not? The functionality is here, so I don't see a reason why I shouldn't use it (it's even relatively well, user-friendly implemented).

Why don't I want to use image hosting sites? Because it's pain in the ass (and humans are lazy in their nature as well), especially when I can see a button below the editor which lets me do it with two clicks.

Besides, I didn't want to attach a game screenshot, but rather one small part of MO window.

Well I DO have an account at some hosting site (ditched Imgur semi-recently because it's a mess), but for smaller pictures (say, either cropped small parts of game screenshots made for specific purpose, or screenshots of programs' windows), the attachment feature is really helpful.

Imagine if everyone added just one 50k attachment .... That is more than 150 GB. Now imagine if a few added 100 500k attachments ... over time ... you see where this is going.

We would need to pay a lot more to get space to host all that! That would be ripping off ourselves and those who donate to the project ;)

Well I DO have an account at some hosting site (ditched Imgur semi-recently because it's a mess), but for smaller pictures (say, either cropped small parts of game screenshots made for specific purpose, or screenshots of programs' windows), the attachment feature is really helpful.

You don't need a an account with imgur to use their service. I just use the imgur Extension by Metronomik. It opens up a new tab and you just drag and drop photos into that tab and it uploads everything and and can give you a link really quickly.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imgur-extension-by-metron/ehoopddfhgaehhmphfcooacjdpmbjlao?hl=en

Imagine if everyone added just one 50k attachment .... That is more than 150 GB. Now imagine if a few added 100 500k attachments ... over time ... you see where this is going.

We would need to pay a lot more to get space to host all that! That would be ripping off ourselves and those who donate to the project ;)

lol ok, you got me. But wait, do we have 3 millions users (150GB/50k :P)?

I see your point though.

Account is not needed, but it makes life a bit easier. I also host some more stuff for myself. Imgur has horrible interface when it comes to this.

I always use tinypic.com for small screenshots - it's extremely easy to use and you don't need to register.

lol ok, you got me. But wait, do we have 3 millions users (150GB/50k :P)?

I see your point though.

Account is not needed, but it makes life a bit easier. I also host some more stuff for myself. Imgur has horrible interface when it comes to this.

Sorry, I added an order of magnitude ... meant 150 MB :P

... still