Most Performance Intensive ENBseries.ini functions

Nearox

Question

As the title says, what are currently the most performance intensive functions listed in ENBseries.ini? The last few months a lot of extra effects have been added and I've not updated myself with them. Simply disabling DoF or SSAO doesnt seem to have nearly as big as a performance boost as it used to have (I'm using Vividan ENB).

Hoping Aiyen or someone else well versed with ENBs (Torminator, rootsrat?) can maybe chime in, if you read this :)

ENB 0.251 has the following options

[EFFECT]

UseOriginalPostProcessing

UseOriginalObjectsProcessing

EnableBloom

EnableLens

EnableAdaptation

EnableDepthOfField

EnableAmbientOcclusion

EnableDetailedShadow

EnableSunRays

EnableSunGlare

EnableSkyLighting

EnableImageBasedLighting

EnableReflection

EnableSoftParticles

EnableParticleLights

EnableSubSurfaceScattering

EnableWater

EnableUnderwater

EnableCloudShadows

EnableVolumetricRays

EnableProceduralSun

EnableMist

Edited by Nearox

7 answers to this question

Nothing much, since the new effects mostly do not cost a lot. 

The most cost extensive after SSAO/Reflection and Skylighting is the water parallax feature. You can use some of the nice water features without activating this though. 

Thx Aiyen. Vividian ENB just put the performance version back online about 2 hours ago. Gave it a quick try. It still has almost all the effects but I gained about 8-10fps, so I guess that solves it for me. I also disabled volumetric rays which apprently gives me even 5 more fps... I never thought that'd be a heavy performance function.

In any case, I'm going to try to mess with some water settings though its gonna be 100% trial and error since I have no clue what all the settings do :P

Do you know if EnableUnderwater=true in theory also affects performance when not underwater?

Edited by Nearox

Rays should not hit that hard also it is a required effect.. since it helps determine the look of all weathers... If you do not care about underwater you can just disable it. However as long as parallax is not on etc. then it should not cost much. 

Yes Water is a real bummer as Ambient Ocllusion as well (although its already quiet speey with Vividian). DoF also drains a bit. What i would not recommend is disabling the volumetrc rays, those effects just look too awsome and are a very good way to have awsome gradients from the sun on the sky, especially on sunset scenes so you most likley break your atmosphere a bit if you disable them. There are options that are often essencial for a ENB like, Bloom, Mist, Sunrays, Sunglare,Skylighting, volumetric rays, Procedual Sun and mist.

EnableReflection

EnableDepthOfField

On my system, the two settings above cause the most FPS loss, everything else is golden. I run Grim & Somber ENB at default settings with the exception of DoF and Reflections.

Posted Image

But, I also don't expect 60 FPS, I get around 22-38 with Grim & Somber, but it is a smooth and non-stuttery 22-38 FPS :)

I wanted 60 FPS, I'd set my ENBLocal for UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true