Post Image Limitations

Octopuss

Question

Long story short:

Take a look at this post. There's no way to open the images in new tabs, so doing any kind of compare is basically imposible. Right click opens an image instead of presenting me with context menu, and ctrl+click doesn't open a tab either.

Is there any way to change this?

The situation where images are not showing when linked from DropBox, Copy or similar image-hosting that supplies a coded link without an image prefix. This seems to work for all in PMs but not on post threads. Testing on this post thread from my account with image file-type restrictions applied:EDIT: does not work for admin either:

https://copy.com/ApwFlETiZ7nq

Let's test if the image coded link works without being in an image tag:

https://copy.com/ApwFlETiZ7nq

EDIT: Link disabled as well ... then why does it work from within PMs? If it work within PMs, then the file-type restrictions are incomplete and thus I think they should be lifted.

It turns out that extensionless image links are not necessarily the norm, and we will not be supporting them. This in turn means that any service providers that host images that can be served on demand (i.e., without downloading ... does anyone know shat this type of service is called formally??) must reference the image with a URL that includes the file-type extension at the end of the URL.

• Copy (15 GB) does host on-demand content but does not provide the URL with file extension.
  • Google Drive (15 GB) does host on-demand content but does not provide the URL with file extension.
  • Mega (50 GB) hosts files but does not host on-demand content.
  • DropBox (2 GB) does support on-demand content and URL with file extension.
  • Imgur does support on-demand content and URL with file extension.
  • Postimage.org... ?
  • TinyPic... ?
  • ImageShack... ?
  • photobucket... ?
  • FreeImageHosting.net... ?
  • Picoodle... ?

I use DropBox, because it is convenient to save images to my local synced directory, and I can right click from Explorer to get the link and paste into my posts fast and easy

I updated your post Z.

Google Drive does both. You can link to a folder which will provide a gallery view of the photos as seen here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1_Nlyy2ueu0elQzTTUxd0oweHc&usp=sharing or you can grab the URL (with extension) for each picture. This works just like Dropbox because I've used both but prefer Google Drive. Imgur (corrected your spelling ::P:) also provides both. You can get a gallery view or you can click on the individual picture to get several options to share it. So I can confirm both these services work since I've used both after the forum switch.

When I tried to copy an address of one of the images, I got this: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/QlaQYJGlM-vvbZURv9tFIz2TYRNUnGOLug1ppIRTwLNvN5JbEPmqO_Km1qC6kTS35g=w1174-h778

Doesn't look much like an extension to me...

You can't copy from my Google Drive or any Google Drive like that. You could if you had your own Drive account by right clicking the image in the Drive account and selecting "share". You can do this either online or with the app.

I stand corrected...

@ Z and s4n...

This is very annoying and inconvenient. Google Drive no longer works which is the service I've been using for well over 6 months for this. Imgur can still be used; however, it's not ideal because it's limited in the amount of picture that can be uploaded. I don't like being forced to use either Imgur or Dropbox and nothing else. I would challenge to say that extensionless links are well within being the "norm" for these types of services as it provides a (albeit small) level of security. When a few of the top services are doing this then I feel we should support these services. I see no reason as to why we can't as it's never been enforced before and never caused any issues before...unless there is a major security risk in the background with the new forum by doing so. :unsure:

Anybody that considers themselves a "power user" these days is going to have either a Google Drive or Dropbox account. I prefer Google Drive because it integrates seamlessly into my life and suits all my needs without having to have extra programs. With Dropbox you only get 2GB of space, and yes you can increase it by getting others to sign up or whatever but that's not a real solution for more space. Google Drive provides 15GB of free space! Cutting off extensionless links is also cutting off a lot of people and forcing them to use a specific service.

I'm officially requesting this feature be allowed, please! Google is integrated into every thing from my phone to my computer to my documents. Being forced to add more unnecessary apps to my phone and computer is just annoying. :dry:

I support allowing extensionless links (did it work on the MyBB forums? If so, then we weren't limiting file typefor image links); however, s4n does not, and he has final word regarding security (because he is primarily the one who would troubleshoot related issues resulting from the site being compromized)

I wasn't sure where to post this, so it ends up here.

The forum is apparently unable to understand thumbnail link BB code.

[URL=https://www.mediafire.com/view/?4i8qdtbw9bwl1nk][IMG=https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/9f46/4i8qdtbw9bwl1nk4g.jpg][/URL]

It works just fine on Nexus, but not here. What's supposed to happen is clickable thumbnail that opens full size image.