Frequent CTDs

Octopuss

Question

Reader beware. There is a lot of misinformation on this thread, so please read the closing post before continuing.

This thread is a great source for instructing novice modders as to how difficult and tedious it can be to create a custom modded setup.

STEP

Even with 4GB card and ENBoost, I am crashing like no tomorrow with this game. Like someone pointed out in other thread, it's probably not related to memory problems (I've just CTDed after fast travelling) but rather mods incompatibility or something like that.

I currently do not use higher ugrids (with all the mods I have, I could run with 9 without any apparent problems in the previous game). I have SKSE 1.7 alpha installed and use the memory patch settings.

Does anyone see anything horribly wrong with my load order (it's 99% done by BOSS, I only switched Realistic Weapons positions after DSR patch as suggested on Nexus)?

I'm slowly making some progress.

Has anyone ever ran into the game completely freezing (simply completely freezing, not crashing or anything) when doing a test like this? It has happened a few times already, but when I started again it would work fine for 10 mins (which is what I eventually decided to be considered stable enough).

Another possible offender: TreesHD. I am not 100% sure yet, but I suspect. I did get somewhat better results when I removed it.

(again, I am not saying the mod is bad, just what I observed with my system)

Edited by Octopuss

Two more unneeded mods removed: Brows and HD Rabbits Plus.

(that means I do not need them, not that I am saying they are bad!)

I am also strongly starting to maybe suspect 101bugs is causing some uncommon problems as well. I see several complains about papyrus errors and CTDs on Nexus, so it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on this so I will test this a bit more carefully.

Edited by Octopuss

Octopuss, with all due respect... Seriously, you now start suspecting mods that were tested thoroughly before they were added to STEP. These mods ARE NOT faulty, they WILL NOT break your game.

TreesHD? 101 Bugs? Rabbits plus? No, they are perfectly stable and well done mods. I repeat, again: do not install million of random mods from Nexus and expect for your game to be stable. And when it breaks (obviously), please don't blame the mods that STEP team has tested before, committing time and effort, as you create unnecessary negative publicity and put the team's testing and evaluation abilities in question.

When you start finding a bunch of random mods that seem to be affecting your game like this, it normally means you have mods with conflicting scripts. Please focus your troubleshooting on mods with script files and you should find the culprit. A good place to start would be with mods that Mod Organizer is warning you about concerning scripts.

Octopuss,

You need to uninstall all your non-STEP mods and get your game stable with just STEP installed before adding in any extra mods. STEP is running stable on hundreds of systems with no issues so it's not STEP that is the issue. STEP is thoroughly tested at each releases before it is released to the public.The extra mods is the source of your issues. Once you're stable on STEP, then you can start adding in extra mods one by one and testing them as you go for issues. If an issue is found with one of the extra mods, then you'll need to correct the issue with a patch and using TES5edit. If it can't be corrected, you're just out of luck. One of the two (or more) conflicting mods will have to be removed.

No one is going to be able to help you sort out your mod issues if you're not willing to do this to get your game back to a stable condition.

OK lots of wishy-washy info being pushed on this thread ...

STEP does not support mods that we have not tested and included within STEP - Some of our staff and site members are happy to help with custom mod setups, but do not assume that any 'issues' you are having are in any way related to a particular mod's quality. Most issues are related to mod-mod intercompatibilities and/or load order problems, or save-game problems:

• BOSS does not know how to order everything in the nearly infinite possible combinations that exist. BOSS is a tool that often requires additional user knowledge and input
  • Certain mods can cause issues, but that does not mean that there is any problem at all with the mod itself!
  • Custom setups with lots of mods are for people that do not want to play the game right away. They want to tinker and troubleshoot and discover and learn. if you want to play: Install STEP or some other guided setup ... and follow the instructions!

STEP does not support Cleanmem or any other memory 'optimizers' - These tools are not recommended, so stop using them or stop promoting their use on this site. We are tired of refuting baseless claims and redirecting misinformed users that read them!

This thread is turning into a rathole of misinformation ... closed.