Tool for monitoring internet access by programs?

torminater

Hey guys,

currently I'm having doubts whether or whether not I have a virus on my laptop. I'm therefore looking for a tool which monitors and protocolls (very important!) which program accesses at what speed at what time the internet and what priority it has. I've been looking on the internet but most of the tools I found where either for company networks (see what your employees do instead of working) or abandoned.

I would need something compatible with win 7 64-bit and if possible freeware, since I'm a student with high living expenses and not much positive cash flow unfortunately. ;-)

Anybody some suggestions?

yeah i was thinking about it. but i am kind of overcautious when it comes to free firewall software. any specific suggestions as to which firewalls are doing their jobs better than the original windows firewall from win 7 home 64-bit?

I think the combination of:

1. Firewall that comes with your internet router

2. Windows default firewall (well-configured)

3. One or two anti-malware software such as Microsoft Security Essentials AND maybe Emsisoft - Free version OR Avast

(4.) and maybe SpyBot Search&Destroy for additional protection should be more than enough

BUT if you want more advanced security, I still wouldn't go as far as buying a commercial firewall software YET [because you already mentioned you are a student with marginal cash-flow]. So maybe you should try free firewall software such as:

- ZoneAlarm

- or Comodo.

They are free firewall and anti-malware softwares. I haven't used them since I installed Windows 7, but I was satisfied with ZoneAlarm while I had XP on. Of course there is no right or wrong security software as every person has his own preferences and opinions, so some may agree with me on these sugestions and some may not.

Just remember that if you have two software such as M.S. Essentials and Emsisioft, Avast or AVG installed don't allow all of them to work in background (Real-Time protection). I think one Real-Time protection is enough. Just run other software(s) manually (run a full scan weekly e.g.) and when you suspect that there are maliciouse programs present on your PC.

I hope this helped a bit...

And REMEMBER: "User education and research is the only genuine defense against malware and online fraud", Koroush Ghazi (TweakGuides)

Thanks for the advice! I actually had essentials and avira installed but it killed my internet. i wouldn't even be able to load up firefox without that the process died halfway through the start.

So disabling real-time-scanner for one of them would solve that problem?

So disabling real-time-scanner for one of them would solve that problem?

I think it would. A lot of people complain that anti-malware software kills internet and overall performance, but if you set your security properties right you will barely notice the difference, I'm sure of that. And that small TRADE-OFF will definitely pay off in the long-run as your PC will be safer (NOT safe) from malicious programs.

I also think that it is enough to have one active Real-time protection. For example: enable RealT. Protection for M.S. Essentials and install Avira and SpyBot S&D and disable their RT protection. Then once a week run a FULL scan of your PC - one program at a time. If you want, add another Firewall but make sure that Windows Firewall is disabled.

Also I think that once you install MS Essentials, Windows Defender automatically disables itself - However I am not sure if other AV software disable Windows Defender upon installing and turning on RealT Protection, so again make sure not to have more than one active AV software running in background if you want a good tradeoff between performance and safety.

Stay Safe ;)