What my RAM, and VRAM mean for STEP, ENB, and modding?

lelouch_luffy

Question

I have a Intel i7 quad core Windows 7and 12 GB RAM from looking in computer>system properties and under installed memory(RAM). I however believe I only have 1 GB VRAM because I have a "GeForce GTX (Fermi) 1GB". As far as I know Skyrim is more CPU dependant. But Before I get my new moniter (1920x1080) resolution and start installing parts of STEP like  the textures and other recommendations, I was wondering what these specs mean for STEP, ENB, and for the 3.1GB limit. I'm not sure whether that limit can be reached since I have 1GB Geforce or whether it can since I have a lot of RAM.

Edited by lelouch_luffy

10 answers to this question

If you follow the STEP guide and don't use an ENB, then yes, you might be able to use this card just fine. I'd estimate you'd get in the 30-40FPS range. However, that's not what was asked so I answered based off what you were wanting to do.

If you're looking to upgrade, it all depends on how much you're wanting to spend. I recently bought a GTX 760 4GB for around $300 and eats a STEP modded Skyrim up and spits it out like child's play (I'm not currently using an ENB though). Even chews up Crysis 3 on very high settings and keeps it in the 50-55FPS range. However, I doubt you're wanting to spend that kind of money. You can find a GTX 650Ti for around $130 or a GTX 660 for around $190 right now. Both are good cards and are the previous generation so they'll last you a good while longer.

Comparable cards on the AMD side are going to be your Radeon 7850 and 7870 which will run you between $160-$200. However, the Radeon R270 may give you slightly better performance over the NVIDIA cards mentioned above for around the same price.

The Radeon R270X should out perform all of the above mentioned cards for around $200.

Thank you. I believe you guys. But for testing purposes I'm going to install an ENB and use Skyrim Performance Moniter to see what goes on. I think I'll try one of the ones Gopher is thinking of using for the next chapter of his LP.  "Natural lighting and atmospherics". I just want to be able to show the performance log with the enb to my bro and he might suggest good video cards too. I know that Gopher has a good video card and didn't take much of a performance hit after he turned off depth of field in live testing. I would like to know how to display a question as "solved" like I've seen by some of the other ones. (Gopher has HD DLC optimized, and Skyrim HD 2k textures)

Edited by lelouch_luffy

Having 1 GB VRAM isn't as big of a handicap as some folks make it out to be. Yes, now in 2014, versus when Skyrim was released, having more than 1 GB VRAM is considered ideal. This was not the case three years ago, at that time over 1 GB was expensive for most people and not that common place.

I use Radeon/AMD GPU's so I really can't say anything about nVidia but my HD6850 does a heavily modded (180+) and textured and High Quality ENB Preset just fine. I take advantage of the ENBoost and Sheson's Memory Patch (SSME) so problems I had in the past no longer occur.

• +1 1

Can you be more specific on the video card. What model is it? GTX ### (M or no M) 1GB  For example: GTX 650 1GB or GTX 550M 1GB

It is exactly a "ZOTAC ZT-40408-10P GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card"

And I have a Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor as well as for cooling "COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler",  "2 x ENERMAX MAGMA UC-MA12 120mm Case Fans", "2 x AeroCool Streamliner-Black 140mm Blue LED Case Cooling Fan", and "COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case"

Edited by lelouch_luffy

No need. Just needed to know the model.

You will struggle to run a fully modded Skyrim @ 1920x1080 with that card. The card could probably run a fully modded skyrim; however, the resolution is going to be the issue. The higher the resolution the more powerful card you need to maintain playable frame rates. Adding in an ENB will most likely be crippling to your frame rate as well on that card.

No need. Just needed to know the model.

You will struggle to run a fully modded Skyrim @ 1920x1080 with that card. The card could probably run a fully modded skyrim; however, the resolution is going to be the issue. The higher the resolution the more powerful card you need to maintain playable frame rates. Adding in an ENB will most likely be crippling to your frame rate as well on that card.

Thank you. Would you recommend another card to suppliment that one or just a replacement?

You can't supplement a graphics card with another, unless they're based on the same model.

Most of the time, it's just better to replace an old GPU with a new one, and in the case of Nvidia, use the old one as a dedicated PhysX card if it's good enough.

Honestly though, if you don't use an ENB or ENBoost and you don't go overboard with 2k textures all over the place, you'll be fine with this card.

• +1 1

If you follow the STEP guide and don't use an ENB, then yes, you might be able to use this card just fine. I'd estimate you'd get in the 30-40FPS range. However, that's not what was asked so I answered based off what you were wanting to do.

If you're looking to upgrade, it all depends on how much you're wanting to spend. I recently bought a GTX 760 4GB for around $300 and eats a STEP modded Skyrim up and spits it out like child's play (I'm not currently using an ENB though). Even chews up Crysis 3 on very high settings and keeps it in the 50-55FPS range. However, I doubt you're wanting to spend that kind of money. You can find a GTX 650Ti for around $130 or a GTX 660 for around $190 right now. Both are good cards and are the previous generation so they'll last you a good while longer.

Comparable cards on the AMD side are going to be your Radeon 7850 and 7870 which will run you between $160-$200. However, the Radeon R270 may give you slightly better performance over the NVIDIA cards mentioned above for around the same price.

The Radeon R270X should out perform all of the above mentioned cards for around $200.