Dungeon Quest Awareness (by Darkwolfn1)

Farlo

Given that this apparently only protects breakage of major linear quest lines, I suppose that it is a necessary evil.

I admit my lack of knowledge about the intricacies of the Skyrim quest system. Challenge retracted ... for now :ox:

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a list somewhere of which quests (or quest locations) this mod alters?

I know that the problems with "Supply and Demand" (Cragslane Cave) and "Trouble in Skyrim" (Driftshade Sanctuary) when you cleared the these dungeons prior to starting the quests was fixed by the official 1.9 update.

I've been going through the list of locations and looking at the UESP wiki notes for any locations that have notes that indicate there may be quest issues. I'm about half-way through the list, and so far the locations that have issues that don't appear to be address by either the official or unofficial patch are:

Dead Men's Respite:

Problem: This dungeon can be completed before activating the related quest. The ruby dragon claw and King Olaf's Verse will remain marked as a quest items and cannot be removed from your inventory until after Viarmo receives King Olaf's Verse.

Dustman's Cairn:

Problem: If you have been sent here by a radiant quest after you have completed Proving Honor, you will need to reload your game and ask the giver for another quest. This is because this location does not respawn, and you will be unable to complete the quest. If you have received the quest before the quest, it should still be completable while concurrently completing Proving Honor.

Fellglow Keep:

Problem: If you clear out Fellglow Keep before you accept the quest Hitting the Books, during the mission the game will crash when trying to go in the dungeon. To avoid this, enter coc FellglowKeep03 in the console for entering to Fellglow Keep, then complete the quest Hitting the Books, and enter coc Riverwood in the console.

Broken Oar Grotto, Cracked Tusk Keep, and Frostmere Crypt:

Problem: If the Amulet of the Moon quest directs you to any of these 3 locations after you've already visited them, then you will need to reload a previous save to get a different locations. These locations do not respawn, so if you have been here before, the Moon Amulet cannot spawn here and you cannot complete the quest.

I'll try to finish going through the list tomorrow.

I've been going through the list of locations and looking at the UESP wiki notes for any locations that have notes that indicate there may be quest issues. I'm about half-way through the list, and so far the locations that have issues that don't appear to be address by either the official or unofficial patch are:

Dead Men's Respite:

Problem: This dungeon can be completed before activating the related quest. The ruby dragon claw and King Olaf's Verse will remain marked as a quest items and cannot be removed from your inventory until after Viarmo receives King Olaf's Verse.

So the problem is 2 quest items that can be picked up and not dropped until the related quest is found (and then I assume you can drop them or they are taken). Not a critical issue.

Dustman's Cairn:

Problem: If you have been sent here by a radiant quest after you have completed Proving Honor, you will need to reload your game and ask the giver for another quest. This is because this location does not respawn, and you will be unable to complete the quest. If you have received the quest before the quest, it should still be completable while concurrently completing Proving Honor.

This problem would NOT be avoided by the dungeon rename.

Fellglow Keep:

Problem: If you clear out Fellglow Keep before you accept the quest Hitting the Books, during the mission the game will crash when trying to go in the dungeon. To avoid this, enter coc FellglowKeep03 in the console for entering to Fellglow Keep, then complete the quest Hitting the Books, and enter coc Riverwood in the console.

This one might be avoided by the rename.

Broken Oar Grotto, Cracked Tusk Keep, and Frostmere Crypt:

Problem: If the Amulet of the Moon quest directs you to any of these 3 locations after you've already visited them, then you will need to reload a previous save to get a different locations. These locations do not respawn, so if you have been here before, the Moon Amulet cannot spawn here and you cannot complete the quest.

This one might be avoided by the rename.

I'll try to finish going through the list tomorrow.

Thanks for looking into it kryptopyr. My thoughts above on what you've done so far.

I'm really torn on this one, I really hate having the rename in my game. Perhaps for me, at least, it would be better to just have the bug list printed with broken quest areas to look at outside the game.

I may take a look at fixing them. A quick and simple fix might be to just remove Dustman's Cairn, Broken Oar Grotto, Cracked Tusk Keep, and Frostmere Crypt from the list of possible locations for radiant quests. I'm not positive, but I believe that this is often a matter of just removing a certain keyword that makes a location selectable for the radiant quests.

I agree that Dead Men's Respite is not a critical issue, merely an annoyance. My preferred fix for this sort of problem is a mod like this: https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8409/? (though I've not tried this one specifically). However, I don't really think that this is appropriate for STEP since it would probably actually increase the chance of breaking quests (I've never had this problem myself, but then I tend to be pretty careful about where I choose to store potentially important items).

The other solution for Dead Men's Respite & Fellglow Keep may be to just make these locations inaccessible until their related quests are initiated (would also need to make sure that they weren't candidates for radiant quest assignments).

I considered going though the list, but decided against it after the first or second quest. As for the problem with Dustman's Cairn, adding the dungeon to be manually excluded from the various radiants that send you to it (by using GetInCurrentLoc and checking to see if it equals 0). I may come with a patch ESP that does just that. And maybe submit it to the USKP bugtracker.

Also, the bug with the Amulet of the Moon quest has been fixed in 1.9 (according to the UESP).

It might work to just disable the loading door. Would need to try it and see if the cave entry mesh would support just walking all the way into it without getting automatically teleported by the door, but from what I've seen elsewhere I suspect that it would. It would just look like a shallow cave or the crevice in the rocks.

I don't really think the navmesh issues would be all that bad. You can place an invisible marker around any newly added rocks that will automatically "crop" the navmesh. This would avoid having to directly edit the navmesh in the CK. Hearthfire uses this technique a lot, so instead of constantly adjusting the navmesh with each change or added furniture, items are simply set up with a marker that disables the part of the navmesh that runs underneath them.

@WilliamImm

The Amulet of the Moon quest was fixed? I checked, but I guess I missed that one.

It might work to just disable the loading door.

I was thinking of exactly the same thing as a solution. Maybe a message could also be displayed, something like: "You have a sense of great danger lurking inside this location. You back off and decide to come back here later". Just a quick draft, but you get the idea.

Finished going through the list of locations. Here are the remaining places that still seem to have bugs associated with them. Many of these issues would not be avoided by the dungeon renaming, but I figured since I was going through looking for problems, I might as well list all of the ones I found.

Knifepoint Ridge:

Problem: If you have already received the quest Boethiah's Calling and have the objective to kill her current champion, you will be unable to complete the quest Kill the Bandit Leader in Knifepoint Ridge. The quest marker will point to where the bandit chief stands instead of over his head, and even if you kill everyone in the mine, it will not be completed. Waiting until Knifepoint Ridge has reset does not fix the problem. (the 1.4 patch corrects a problem associated with clearing Knifepoint Ridge before starting Boethiah’s Champion but doesn't seem to address this issue).

Possible Solution: remove location from radiant quest list, or add a condition to radiant quests so that they will only select Knifepoint Ridge prior to the start of Boethiah's Champion, but will no longer use this location after this quest has been started.

Rebel's Cairn:

Problem: If you are sent to Rebel's Cairn by a radiant quest, it is generally impossible to complete the quest unless you first start the Rebel's Cairn quest, allowing you to enter the dungeon. If the Rebel's Cairn quest has been completed, you may want to keep Red Eagle's Bane to reenter dungeon and complete the radiant quest without having to find Red Eagle's Fury again.

Possible Solution: Remove location from radiant quest list (though this bug doesn't seem particularly critical)

Red Eagle Redoubt:

Problem: If you have previously killed the leader of the Red Eagle Redoubt and get the task to kill him again you must reanimate the body and kill him a second time. You may get this task while trying to purchase a house in Markarth from the Jarl.

Possible Solution: add a condition to certain radiant quests (Kill Bandit Leader) so that they won't use this location after this quest has been completed.

Raldbthar:

Problem: If you return to the Deep Market after completing it once, the bridge may be up again. It's possible no bones will be in the gears, leaving no way to get the bridge down again. If the bones are there, you may not be able to interact with them properly. (Even if you knock them out with your weapon, the gears won't turn.)

Also: Alain Dufont is present even if Mourning Never Comes is not active. This can cause problems for people trying to get the optional objective since it makes it very easy to kill him ahead of time resulting in the optional objective for the quest not being completable.

Swindler's Den:

Problem: If you side with Kematu in the quest In My Time Of Need, he will still appear at the back of this cave, even after he has "left" for Hammerfell. (not a critical issue)

Possible Solution: add a line to the quest script to disable Kematu after the quest has been completed.

Uttering Hills Cave:

Problem: After Summerset Shadows, the Shadows replace the bandits and follow the bandits' routines. If you have an objective to kill the bandit leader here after the quest, it will be impossible to complete it as the bandit leader will be the corpse of Linwe, who is already dead. This can be fixed by resurrecting Linwe with the console by targeting his corpse and typing resurrect 1 and killing him again.

Possible Solution: add a condition to the "Kill Bandit Leader" radiant quest so that it won't use this location after this quest has been completed.

Wolfskull Cave:

Problem: If you are sent to Wolfskull Cave as part of a radiant quest (such as Shalidor's Insights), you will not be able to complete the radiant quest while The Man Who Cried Wolf is active. You will need to first finish The Man Who Cried Wolf. (not a critical issue)

Ysgramor's Tomb:

Problem: If you are sent to Ysgramor's Tomb by a radiant quest, it is impossible to complete the quest unless you have started Glory of the Dead, which means that you need to complete the entire Companions questline. (I consider this fairly severe problem, given that you would be forced to complete an entire questline to finish a simple radiant quest.)

Possible Solution: this location needs to be removed from any radiant quest that might send you there, or have a condition added so that radiant quests will only use this location after the Companions questline has been completed.