Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

You're safe to tweak those ini's. Same with the launcher. Though I should add that my setup ain't like others here on STEP. I don't use the ENB/Boost. I don't run it. Just the Fnv4GB.exe that's hooked into MO. Every time I do run ENB I seem to run into crashes similar to your issue. Tried multiple ways.

After doing more research it appears to be an issue with NVSR itself.  Deactivating the mod entirely and starting a new game, I was just able to play for around an hour without issue, where my system had been reliably freezing after 10-20 minutes of play with it activated.  I do seem to get a pretty heavy stutter on crossing cell boundaries, but otherwise smooth.  I'll check back here if anything changes or I get some specifics.

Reddit post that suggested the fix.

So yeah, just to confirm - played for multiple hours yesterday without issue.  There is a pretty serious stutter every now and then, but it's better than freezing/crashing every 10-20 minutes.  I'm guessing that I may be able to use NVSR, and that the real problem may be certain settings in it, but I don't have the energy to do the testing, I just wanna play.  

The game does seem to freeze a little when exiting, I actually had to restart my computer in order to close the application once, which is annoying...  Everything else is peachy though.

* Pretty sure the issue is with NVSR and the Win10 Creators Update.  I'd love to hear from anyone else using the creators update - are you having issues? or not?

Edited by baronaatista

Well, I am using Zan AutoPurge Crash Protection (https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49319) in addition to NVSR to fix my "Out of Memory" issues. I'm still getting that error, though, but only in two locations - Camp McCarran and the Atomic Wrangler. I've set it to clear my cell buffers every 10 minutes while outside, and every 4 minutes - while inside.

You can also try tweaking the settings of NVSR by carefully following the readme - some systems work best on settings different than the ones suggested on FLNV.

Another thing you might try is cleaning your fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini with BethINI. There's a section on "Clear and Present Danger", Fallout 3's modding guide @ STEP on how to use BethINI and it works as charm. Cleaning the INIs can improve performance noticeably.

I'd advise to get rid of Zan's mod. It isn't safe. You can get the exact same function, + keeping your game clean, by simply making two .ini edits in all 3 of your .inis (fallout.ini, falloutprefs.ini, and fallout_default.ini).

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=0 to bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=1

bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=0 to bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1

Are you certain it's been updated? There's no indication on enbdev that it has. I assume you're talking about the 0.322 version?

Yes .322 was updated twice without version change. However Boris seems to have reverted the stutterfix.

Edited by Adonis_VII

• 3 months later...

Yes .322 was updated twice without version change. However Boris seems to have reverted the stutterfix.

So, with this in mind, I can still just follow the guide and everything will work just fine?

EDIT:  Side question for you, Adonis.  Is your guide still up to date?  I noticed it hadn't be edited since January, but that doesn't mean much with games this old.  I just wanted to hop back into New Vegas and was deciding between your guide and this one.

Edited by Veezy

So, with this in mind, I can still just follow the guide and everything will work just fine?

EDIT:  Side question for you, Adonis.  Is your guide still up to date?  I noticed it hadn't be edited since January, but that doesn't mean much with games this old.  I just wanted to hop back into New Vegas and was deciding between your guide and this one.

There are W10 settings for NVSR which I can't remember offhand (on W7 myself).  As far as my guide, there should be no big changes besides some mod updates.

That version of the guide won't be receiving future updates as everything will need to be rebuilt for TTW 3.1. I'm working on the next version with MO2, TTW 3.1, and the new terrain xLODGen, which will overwrite the current guide when they are ready.

Edited by Adonis_VII

Are the DDsopt steps required if I've got 6GBs of VRAM?  They're just a bit confusing to go through, and if I can skip the steps I'd make the process easier, but if not I'm sure I can figure it out.

I installed the Caliber 3-18 FOMOD and CaliberX ESM update - v4.017 main files and the WotMM v1.1 CalX Patch optional file. MonoAccipiter has a post from last year that links to a Dirty Weasel video installing this combination of mods.