Google Chrome Can't Download from Skyrim Nexus using MO

Idonea

Question

Hi, I can't download from Skyrim Nexus using the Mod Organizer. I click "download with manager" on the page, the box that lists dependencies comes up, I confirm, it disappears, but nothing happens in MO. Here is what I've tried:

[*]Clicking the globe icon then navigating to the mod I want via my address bar

[*]Giving MO my login information in the Configure Settings and Workarounds window

[*]Repeatedly clicking the "Associate with 'Download with Manager' Links" button

I do not know what else to do; I'm not well-versed in this type of program at all... I would appreciate it if someone would help me.

You do not need NMM for MO to download mods.

Proper debugging of downloading with manager issues should follow the troubleshooting instructions on the wiki:

Problem: When I click the Download with Manager button on the Nexus, nothing happens.

Possible solutions: There are many reasons why this may happen. Please try these possible fixes:

• Click the globe Globe_MO.png button.
  • Go to the Nexus tab in Settings and click the Associate with "Download with manager" links button.
  • Go to your ModOrganizer directory and run the nxmhandler application. If the program is pointing to Mod Organizer, click the Register Active button, click yes at the prompt, and close. If the program is not pointing to Mod Organizer, right-click in the window and select Add, select the game you are handling, browse to the appropriate ModOrganizer.exe application, click OK, click the Register Active button, click yes at the prompt, and close.
  • If you are using Google Chrome:
    1. Locate the "Local State" file (enter %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ in the Windows Explorer address bar).
    2. Open the file in a text editor such as Notepad while Google Chrome is closed.
    3. Search for "nxm" (Click Ctrl+F and enter nxm).
    4. Delete the line that says "nxm": false (if true, still delete the line).
    5. Save the file.
    6. Next time you click the Download with Manager button, Chrome should pop-up a dialog asking to launch the application registered for nxm links. Click Launch.
  • If you are using Firefox, open Firefox, and inside Options, go to the Applications tab. Search for nxm and point it toward the nxmhandler application located inside the ModOrganizer directory if the option exists.

Thanks!

I am consistently suffering an inability of MO to login to Nexus. I've confirmed my username / password combination by logging in & out of Nexus via Google Chrome.

On the off chance it was the infamous Google Chrome SNAFU with handling external programs I tried the debugging steps shown multiple times in this topic section. I happen to be running Windows 10, and have attempted to use the 8 debugging steps for google chrome while it was set as default web browser, and also tried using internet explorer & edge as default web browser and performing steps 1 & 2. Additionally, I have used the workaround section for which I have updated the NMM version to reflect what is on the web page i.e." 0.61.23 "

I did have partial success in that clicking the green download NMM button does properly instantiate a download attempt via MO. Unfortunately for me there was no success with logging in to Nexus so the download eventually fails.

There is some issue with Nexus I believe. I too am seeing this and the most likely scenario is their servers are being flooded with new users, perhaps due to the holiday in the USA?

Whatever the reason ALL issues like this are due to Nexus and not MO. This is easy to understand when you consider there has been no change to the MO code that handles the logging in for some time now and only now are there reports.

Wait it out and see or simply download all your files manually and move them into MO's 'downloads' folder for easy installation.

I am consistently suffering an inability of MO to login to Nexus. I've confirmed my username / password combination by logging in & out of Nexus via Google Chrome.

On the off chance it was the infamous Google Chrome SNAFU with handling external programs I tried the debugging steps shown multiple times in this topic section. I happen to be running Windows 10, and have attempted to use the 8 debugging steps for google chrome while it was set as default web browser, and also tried using internet explorer & edge as default web browser and performing steps 1 & 2. Additionally, I have used the workaround section for which I have updated the NMM version to reflect what is on the web page i.e." 0.61.23 "

I did have partial success in that clicking the green download NMM button does properly instantiate a download attempt via MO. Unfortunately for me there was no success with logging in to Nexus so the download eventually fails.

I'm happy to report that after about 2 hours into manual downloading & installing STEP-core mods I gave an experimental click of the mystical magical green button of power and it was working again at approximately 0200 hours CST (Central Standard Time). 

In other news, a lot of people have noticed that the "Download With Manager" button is not working for them on the site. Firstly, let me say that this is nothing to do with us, in that we haven't caused this problem. The problem arises with the combination of Windows 8.1 and the Google Chrome browser, and only this combination. NMM works fine in IE and FireFox with Windows 8.1. For a slightly technical explanation of what's happening: a recent silent update to Chrome has forced the browser to no longer recognise third-party URL protocols, like the "nxm" URL the Nexus sites use to start your download in NMM. Instead, Chrome will now only accept URL protocols that are classed as "safe" by Windows 8/Microsoft, which at this time is basically just the Windows Store. Great update, Google. The fix for this issue involves editing a Google Chrome config file to tell Chrome that the Nexus Mod Manager is a safe program to accept URL requests from. Google haven't coded any sort of system (like FireFox has) to ask if you want to trust the Nexus Mod Manager protocol, it just refuses to work. That's just plain laziness on Google's part.

I'm having the same problem, but I'm running on Windows 7 Pro (64bit)

Is it the Chrome 64bit browser that's the problem?

Note on the "Local State" file. Mine doesn't have anything about nmm or nxm. And frankly, that "Local State" file looks like a MESS! It's all in one continuous line and over half of it looks like garbledy ****! I assume it code, but there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Edited by Ewookie1

The method described above is no longer current. Google's Chrome uses another format now to store that information and trying to edit 'Local State' will be pointless.

Any issues you may face with regard to MO downloading files from Nexus are likely due to Nexus server issues.

I tried this and this hasn't worked for me. My Local State file doesn't have any phrase for NXM. I've also tried just renaming it and letting Chrome recreate itself. No luck there either. Any other suggestions?

I tried that Local State edit too, and it didn't work for me either. The problem started for me right after I updated Chrome! I even tried reinstalling Mod Organizer. After trying every suggestion I could find with no luck. I finally installed Firefox and now everything is working fine. I think Chrome is becoming a little too proprietary for my taste. It doesn't support Java, now this, and I've heard others complaining about other issues. Issues that don't usually effect me, but still. And, from what I can tell so far, Firefox seems to have grown up a lot since the last time I used it.

I'll keep looking for fixes for Chrome for a while longer. Mainly because I had gotten that set up pretty much the way I liked it. And, if I find an answer, I'll post it here. Or, maybe one of you will find a solution I could use, so I'll keep checking back, but I may just stick with the 'Fox'.

Thanks and good luck all.

@Ewookie1 If you now install Chrome and use that as your default browser the NXM protocols will no doubt work. There isn't anything wrong with Chrome or any other browser with regards to these things, it's just a case of the protocol handler being messed up and how to go about rectifying it. The method described above no longer works due to a Chrome change in format for that settings file, however the underlying principle still holds true:

ModOrganizer uses your systems default browser's protocol system so if you cannot download files from Nexus, then the issue is with your system, not MO's code.

@Ewookie1 If you now install Chrome and use that as your default browser the NXM protocols will no doubt work. There isn't anything wrong with Chrome or any other browser with regards to these things, it's just a case of the protocol handler being messed up and how to go about rectifying it. The method described above no longer works due to a Chrome change in format for that settings file, however the underlying principle still holds true:

ModOrganizer uses your systems default browser's protocol system so if you cannot download files from Nexus, then the issue is with your system, not MO's code.

I haven't tried uninstalling and re-installing Chrome, so I can't answer to that. And you may be right that it's a mess up on my system with Chrome. But every thing seems to be working fine with Firefox. So, for now, until I find a real good reason to go back and reinstall Chrome, I think I'll stick with Firefox for now.

I do appreciate your response, and I hadn't notice the dates on the previous posts. I should have looked. The problem had started just the other day after my "IObit Advanced system care" program recommended that I update Chrome just before my problems started. Maybe it was installing the update through that other program that caused the problem.

Thanks again.

The problem had started just the other day after my "IObit Advanced system care" program recommended that I update Chrome just before my problems started.

I had the same problem and a google search led me to this thread.  Although the old "Local State" method no longer works, in that same "User Data" directory I opened up the "Profile 1" subdirectory (I have multiple Chrome profiles so perhaps you only have one, or it's called Profile 2, or even just "Profile") and opened the "Preferences" file in Notepad++. 

Then I searched for "nxm" and it was embedded in the JSON array, like so: 

"news":false,"nntp":true,"nxm":false,"shell":true,"snews":false,"vbscript":true

I deleted (including the comma!):

"nxm":false,

...saved the file, started Chrome, and when I clicked on the big green button in Nexus it properly asked me if I wanted to use the MO2 handler again. Everything is now back to the way it should be. 

It looks like the file location has simply moved from "User Data\Local State" to "User Data\Profile 1\Preferences" (or whichever profile number you are currently using). 

EDIT: Easiest way to identify the profile you're currently using is to check the "Preferences" file modification date, which should be today's date (because you just closed Chrome before you edited the file). 

Edited by noobgoldberg