Making a poll

Crimson13

Question

Admittedly this would be my first poll of any forum so I'm new to the thing anyway. But anyway, could anyone here tell me how to make a poll? I've looked all over in the 'Making a new topic' page and I can't find anything related to polls. I wanted to make one as a conversation piece, nothing serious or the like, and I think making a poll would be a bit easier for choices.

Are you talking about the Post Options box? Because for me there's only "Enable emoticons? Enable signature? Follow this topic?" as choices. Nor do I see anything in the toolbar. Making polls wouldn't be tried to post count would it?

It should be there, I can try it on a new account to see if it is a permissions thing. Here's what I'm seeing (when creating a new topic), minus the super secret ninja tools. The option for poll is right above the enable emoticons and signature for this post boxes to the right. Underneath my username and sign out buttons.

Posted Image

Yes, I was thinking the same, but just have not gotten around to thinking much about implementation. I'll look into it at some point and announce if this becomes an option. One potential problem is that members could start making mod (or other) polls in forums they are allowed to post polls in, and that would be a real mess, because it would draw info that should exist in other locations.

I guess I am against public-deployed polls in general, and we generally dislike even admin polls. That is why you don't really see too many. Polls can create unnecessary controversy, and there is an 'art' to conducting polls without bias. Poll creators tend to stack the deck to favor their own preference or polls that don't really get at a clear answer. (validity and reliability are the main issues).

I write questionnaires and interpret responses for a living, so this is an area that I have lots of experience with.

For subs that do not pertain mod testing and the site or wiki should be allowed. Stuff like the favorite fallout game poll roots made, you general debate type polls are okay for certain subs.

Edit: probably should leave polls out of threads for cabal's mods. ::P:

Maybe a 1-10 rating vote on packs, but no why or whynot info on specific packs. just a 'rate the pack' poll. This could let users know what packs seem to be more popular then you admins. could figure out why some are more popular than others.

Qualitative research... arrrghhh  :cool:

Exactly ... you would be surprised at how many survey methodologists do not acknowledge this :|

While polls would be totally counter-productive in the Mod Testing or Support forum, I think some subforums like the Banter Inn and the Packs might benefit from them. Just my 2 cents.

Again, I think that members will likely hold mod/pack related polls (or other undesirables) in bad locations if we open it up.

Maybe a 1-10 rating vote on packs, but no why or whynot info on specific packs. just a 'rate the pack' poll. This could let users know what packs seem to be more popular then you admins. could figure out why some are more popular than others.

Good point. If we implement, we will need to establish appropriate constraints if possible. I don't want to simply turn the feature on without proper setup first (I also want to discuss with s4n ... he hates polls).

While polls would be totally counter-productive in the Mod Testing or Support forum, I think some subforums like the Banter Inn and the Packs might benefit from them. Just my 2 cents.

MT polls are just a nightmare. We had to learn that the hard way though.

Qualitative research... arrrghhh  :cool:

Z is a biologist, he's pretty much doing Sociology and Psychology, which is just applied Biology. Here's how it breaks down. (I'm the guy on the right)

(I also want to discuss with s4n ... he hates polls).

He must have a daughter. Not sure about the 1-10 thing for packs. A rating system this early on before we even start officially supporting them could be bad.