Correct Enblocal Settings

prizner

Question

So I was installing SkyRealism using the enb guide and I noticed the site https://www.iparadigm.org/pages/pnenb/ENBoost.html used for getting parameters for the memory section of enblocal no longer works. After some digging I found there were some formulas to come up with the needed information but as I am still unsure if I fully understand them I was wondering if anyone here could help? I have gtx 680 4GB and 12GB of ram with a i7 980x. Thanks!

Has anyone else noticed that the frame limiter in ENBOOST no longer works? Or is this somehow just on my end? I have mine set to cap at 33fps and it hops around all over & above that.

Come to think of it, it seems as though ENBOOST is, in general, not as stable for me as it was before I took a break from Skyrim & then updated ENBs & started playing again. I've been getting CTDs fairly regularly with pretty much every configuration of Memory settings.

I don't expect anyone to debug my CTDs for me because I know they're usually a very idiosyncratic thing, but when I noticed the ENBOOST frame limiter was no longer doing its thing, I had to then wonder if any element of the app was doing what it was supposed to (and I honestly don't know how to tell if it's doing its thing or not). 

Edited by FiendishGhoul

Well, it could still be some odd thing that just happens to be similarly odd on both of our systems, I suppose, but it's definitely not just you. I'm not 100% certain on when the problem started, but I feel like it was recently because, as I mentioned, I had not updated my ENB/ENBOOST since .262.

I don't honestly know if Boris has even changed anything in the builds of ENBOOST since then or not (and I feel kind of bad having taken a [light] swipe at ENBOOST in my first post without knowing that, considering that I do know that most problems with the application are cases of user misconfiguration), and I haven't seen anyone else posting about it until now, but I am, however, fairly certain that the frame limiter is not working on my end. My frames bounce around between 30-50 (in)consistently and, while I know that low variances are normal with the limiter, a difference of ~20 FPS seems rather excessive.

I generally assume that ENBOOST is working, for the most part, because with it present I do not experience ye olde 3.2gb CTD that inevitably accompanies older pre-ENBOOST binaries on my system, but beyond that, I'm not really 100% certain of anything.

yup, there's been multiple reports of the frame limiter being faulty in some instances. I personally don't really notice since I limit at 60 and almost never reach it. If you're on nvidia, you can try using NVCP/Nvidia Inspector to limit your framerate, I don't think I ever saw anyone reporting issues with that method.

yup, there's been multiple reports of the frame limiter being faulty in some instances. I personally don't really notice since I limit at 60 and almost never reach it. If you're on nvidia, you can try using NVCP/Nvidia Inspector to limit your framerate, I don't think I ever saw anyone reporting issues with that method.

Same weird issue here. If I limit mine to 60 it'll sit on 61.1 and bounce around once in awhile. I'll disable it and use nvidia inspector so, thanks

Please help!  I've been wanting to play Skyrim again for many years, I owned a copy on both PS3 and Xbox 360,  both had game breaking bugs (after putting a combined 800 hours in)  I have a feeble laptop and with a Steam copy, I feel I need mods to renew the game a little after bad experiences and many hours lost.  I've had it months now and had to re-start the game more times than I can remember,  normal stuff for a newbie using mods.

I have ENB boost  and these stats for my laptop...

Intel R core i5 4200U CPU   2.30 gh

6 gb RAM

64 bit OS

Intel HD Graphics 4400

Total graphics memory   5234 mb

Dedicated Video memory   2560mb

System Video memory    0

Shared system memory    2674

Please help good people,  and thanks for reading  :)

Edited by Shinobus

Please help!  I've been wanting to play Skyrim again for many years, I owned a copy on both PS3 and Xbox 360,  both had game breaking bugs (after putting a combined 800 hours in)  I have a feeble laptop and with a Steam copy, I feel I need mods to renew the game a little after bad experiences and many hours lost.  I've had it months now and had to re-start the game more times than I can remember,  normal stuff for a newbie using mods.

I have ENB boost  and these stats for my laptop...

Intel R core i5 4200U CPU   2.30 gh

6 gb RAM

64 bit OS

Intel HD Graphics 4400

Total graphics memory   5234 mb

Dedicated Video memory   2560mb

System Video memory    0

Shared system memory    2674

Please help good people,  and thanks for reading  :)

Feeble indeed. You're going to have a hard time playing with just that as your graphics processor. Always select the lowest or "performance" options any mods.

I have a question regarding the compression wiki entry:

As far as I know it is impossible to compress textures in vram on the fly (that's what dds opt is for). So I would think most people would not need to devote resources to compress textures in ram.

Enables/disables memory compression. It is enabled by default. Disabling memory compression can reduce stutter, but at the cost of more RAM usage. For this reason, it is generally only recommended to be disabled on systems with more than 2GB VRAM. Any system that is already nearing its VRAM limit should leave this parameter enabled or it could do more harm than good.

I don't pretend to know how everything works under the hood, but Boris's defaults are usually the recommended baseline settings. I think the description is clear and it's not causing any real strain on any system that meets the STEP minimum requirements. All the memory settings will be more system specific than the other settings. If having it enabled isn't working well on your system, disable it. The default setting works for the majority of users though.

Where did you get that information from? Is it by Boris?

I'm just curious because a friend of mine told me it is impossible to compress textures in vram on the fly. He said this is most likely using LZ4 to compress textures in ram. There might still be benefits for doing that other then saving ram (like less fragmentation), but it also costs resources to do. I'm curious out of a technical perspective.

If you are interested in more information about Compression and how it works in games like Skyrim, I would recommend having a read of this https://fileadmin.cs.lth.se/graphics/research/papers/gputc2006/thesis.pdf it may answer any questions you have.

While quite a lengthy read it is most certainly informative, more so than I have seen before ::):

Edited by Rebel47