Easier Lockpicking - Without Cheating - Nordic Retexture (by Gamwich)

Kuldebar

Discussion thread:
Easier Lockpicking - Without Cheating - Nordic Retexture by Gamwich
Wiki Link

::D:

QuoteThis mod retextures the locks in Skyrim to be more scratched and weathered looking. This gives more visual reference points to remember your lockpick placement. When a pick breaks, it's easier to find the spot you started from. It makes lockpicking easier, without really cheating... such as using a gradated lock measurement system.

My concept with this texture mod was to make it easier to deal with expert and master locks without resorting to obvious (and lore-breaking) cheats. There is simply more wear and scratches on the outer lock surface to use as visual reference points.

The textures are the default size, so anyone can use them, but I started with the hi-res files, so I packed as much detail as I could into the smaller size. My aim was to make a mod that anyone playing Skyrim on a PC could use.

I admit, this appeals to me. There's not enough scratches for reference points on the vanilla ones.

Looks nice, more immersive than the one with the marks along the top.  But that being said....

With SkyRe and the fact that I never invest any points in lockpicking....  I have long given up on the mini-game... I can't even open an adept lock usually!  I really really SUCK at it.

Lock(picking?) Overhaul for me... the one with the acid...  I turn off the level restriction, lower the global chances to 3%, which means IF I can't bash or spell the lock open, I need to bring along 33 lockpicks to ensure I can open a master lock with autopick.  Seems reasonable to me.  At high levels when my character can bash/spell almost any lock open, it doesn't matter either way.  

Sort of nerfs lockpicking somewhat....  If I was a thief type character, I just invest in pickpocketing instead.  The only time I would invest in lockpicking is if I was a sneak character with no melee/spell ability.

I assume this a much more subtle interpretation of what this mod does =)

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6594/?

I couldn't bring myself to use that mod because it would just blow all sense of "realism" out the window. "Hey look, handily pre-marked for the convenience of lock-pickers!" 

Garfink, on 16 Apr 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

If I was a thief type character, I just invest in pickpocketing instead.  The only time I would invest in lockpicking is if I was a sneak character with no melee/spell ability.

I use lockpicks very rarely, my Battle mage (Heavy Armor, 2H, Archer, Bound Weapons/Summoner, Alteration, Restoration) uses spells on locks...at the present (level 25) he can open Adept level  locks with alteration magic. (I also use SPERG).

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If I had to pick a texture that is available at this time then I would choose Gamwich's.

No is a mod had location specific locks or a lock variety on different objects then that would take my vote but sadly I do not believe one exists.

No is a mod had location specific locks or a lock variety on different objects then that would take my vote but sadly I do not believe one exists.

Now that there's the mod Lockpicking Interface Redone which completely replaces the vanilla lockpicking interface model, it seems to me that there must be a way to change which mesh is used, depending on the container / door being picked. I don't know hardly anything about scripting, but something with OnEvent of attempting to open something with a lock, checks what is being opened, and points to a specific set of meshes / textures.

Heck, a majority of things with locks already have a mesh that could be used as a starting point.

Unfortunately, though, the same mechanism of rotating keyhole + pick would have to be applied to all the different lock mesh models, so it would be purely a visual enhancement, not any improvement on the lock picking interface itself.

Nevertheless, I'll put in my vote for Gamwich's re-texture over the current STEP recommendation.

I prefer the look of Gamwich's re-texture over both the current STEP recommendations and Lockpicking Interface Redone. This is a fix to me, not just a retexture: the lockpicking mini-game is essentially based on remembering where your last pick broke, which is unnecessarily hard to do without visual reference. It makes lockpicking a little more pleasant for me without breaking immersion.

Edited by Harpalus