Disable console command doesn't work on stalking dragon

rootsrat

Question

I'm one of the unlucky ones that get the stalking dragon bug. Till now the 'disable' command worked perfectly fine. The dragon recently showed up again and this time nothing happens when I try to disable it. I did not change my mod set up or load order etc. since the last time it worked n

So I have 2 questions:

1. Can anyone think of a reason for this command to stop working all of a sudden?

2. Is 'markfordelete' safe to use? If this dragon was spawned by the vanilla random dragon encounter system, would this command permanently remove the dragon from my game thus preventing it to ever be spawned again?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

QuoteQuote1. Can anyone think of a reason for this command to stop working all of a sudden?

No reason I can think of...does disable still work on other things just not this same dragon corpse?

It could be a save corruption that has things fouled perhaps...

...markfordelete is safe to use if you are sure the specific object is something you no longer need in the current game, in this case an empty dragon corpse which is assigned a specific id:

The first two digits of form IDs found in add-ons are given as xx, because they may vary depending on the number of active add-ons and the load order of them. Objects from a specific add-on will all have the same two leading digits. If Dawnguard is the only add-on you have, the xx for the IDs should be replaced with 02. In most cases, to find out the first two digits for an add-on, activate the console and click on an object from that add-on to get its ID or use the help command with an add-on specific text. Leading digits which are unique are:

• 00 Those IDs are used by the original Skyrim (Skyrim.esm), the prefix doesn't change
  • 01 Those IDs are usually used by the Update module (Update.esm)
  • ff Dynamically allocated IDs use this. Since they depend on a specific playthrough, they should not be documented - they will be different for other players.

- https://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Form_ID

The dragon corpse is FF...

Also markfordelete is better then disable because it doesn't bloat your save file whereas disable will simply make an object "invisible" the data for it will still be loaded and retained in your save.

I have started using markfordelete because the next time I load the cell the dragon will be gone without me "magically" making it go poof. But you can also mfd and then disable the object which should have a (d) signifying it has been mfd flagged.

Only had one stalking dragon corpse this play through (level 39)...Whiterun.

Edited by Kuldebar

I've only ever used markfordelete on all unwanted corpses in my game - including four instances of a stalking dragon corpse, and a fair number vampire corpses that were littering some cities, without any noticeable negative effects.

I only recently found I could be using the disable command, but most information about using that seems to relate to getting rid of objects, not corpses (for example to get rid of unwanted dynamically placed birds nests from the mod SkyBirds.)

So my plan is to continue to use markfordelete to get rid of any unneeded corpses that won't self-delete.