STEP:Core cutscene freeze

Owlytheowl

Question

I've just started modding Skyrim and chose the STEP pack as the most simplistic one. It also has a really good-written instruction, but still. 

Recently I've finally managed to install the whole STEP:Core, but the game freezes on the beginning cutscene, always in one moment, when I'm riding the carriage. I've installed everything according to STEP:Core, tweaked ENB a bit, and also installed HiAlgoBoost + SMAA method. 

My specs:

Windows 7 x64

4gb RAM

1gb VRAM (GeForce GTX 440)

Intel Core i3 

Pretty mediocre-low ones, but other games (Far Cry 3, Deus Ex: HR etc.) work well on the highest graphics, and Skyrim doesn't. Any advice?

7 answers to this question

A GTX 440 isn't a very powerful GPU so don't expect gold. You'll have to make some realistic decisions when modding. I'd say you probably shouldn't be playing at anything over 1600x900 for resolution. With ENB, that will be even lower. My old GTX 460M could run ENBs with a full STEP install but only at 1366x768 and not without some lag. Taking the ENB out allowed me to play at 1600x900 and a bit smoother (still had microshuttering occasionally). ENBoost is recommended over a full ENB for your specs.

The only way to figure out what is causing your issue is do as I recommended. It's basic troubleshooting when modding and if you mod a lot, you'll be troubleshooting a lot. :thumbsup:

Woah... I know I was struggling to get 35 FPS with a GTX 460 and  28-30 with a GTX 460M (a laptop gpu roughly equal to a GTS 450) at 1366x768. I'd recommend.

1. Getting a clean skyrim folder (easiest way is if you made an archive of your install after it downloaded all of the DLCs and such).

2. Setting your screen resolution to 1280x720 or less if your monitor/video card has the setting for it and it the image doesn't look oddly enlarged and/or have bars on the sides when you set it lower.

3. Setting your quality settings to medium in the skyrim launcher (tweaking shadow settings)

4. Optimizing all of your textures to 512 using the DDSOpt guide, and/or getting low resolution texture packs like the ones from alternity.

5. Installing ENBoost with the STEP guide

If those steps don't help then let us know