DDSopt is a nightmare for me.

Aoi_Chihiro

Question

(First, sorry for my English language, I learn alone... I know "My English gives cancer".)

Hiya ! ~

After three months for mod my Skyrim and never do it like I want... I was come on a French forum for ask about help, a member has give me the link for S.T.E.P.

I love this project, and I've decided to do all of this... But, unfortunately, my English language is very bad and I don't understand really "all" of the tutorial.

If someone knows a video for help me to configure exactly how it is... It helps me a lot, or probably take the time to tell me how to do... but not with 27873912732 words. Briefly and with easy words for me.. XD

(Exemple :

1) You need to download

2) Do this

3) Go out of your home and run naked in the street

4 Jump out of a bridge with a stone link to your neck.

Don't do this ! >_<)

I'm sorry for ask this... But totally desesperate to fail my mods, and S.T.E.P is a very good project with a lot mods I want. I need to do exactly how it write in the "step by step" if I don't want to fall again in depression because my Skyrim doesn't work. Q_Q

DDSopt is a nightmare for me, and a loooot words for me, I tryed, I fail litteraly, that's why I ask your help...

Thank you so much for future answers. :3

Edited by Aoi_Chihiro

12 answers to this question

First off. Welcome to the forums! Hope you find something worth reading while here! 

Then to the issues. Sadly the guide is only in english atm. Nobody have had the time or wish to go about translating it into other languages, but I assume that is a possibility down the road, when the guide is in a more final state. 

Most of the guide can be translated into 

Get all the mods

Install them

Run BOSS 

Play 

If you want more then that then stuff starts to get technical, and then english is the language of choice sadly. 

Especially with DDSopt since it is a rather technical program to use. You can also try to use some of the alternative programs out there, the end result is more or less the same. 

Hope that helps a little bit, and if it is too much then I hope someone who knows french will try to help as well. 

Hi again ! ~

I'm happy to see someone who doesn't blame me for my terrible English language.

Hm... For explain a little bit myself :

1) I play to Skyrim in English language (and all games I play..)

2) I understand the guide, I read a lot the guide before to start, but It's only the DDSopt is a problem for me because I don't understand really where I need to begin and where I need to finish... I'm a little bit lost. And If I'm not mad, I think I've read something like "not everything is for that configuration" (sorry, I don't know how to explain myself).

3) When I do something like this... I love acting as the author noted in his guide (for respect to him and for have exactly the same for me). But I stress a lot because I'm little bit "parano" to do something wrong and after I delete all and I start again to step 1.

If someone can tell me "what is the begin to the guide for DDSopt"...

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt#tab=QUICK-START_GUIDE This ? (Logic with "Quick Start")

But... I need maybe to configure him before ? Isn't it ?

So... The start is here ? https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt#tab=Using_DDSopt

I never use that kind of tool... I don't know "what is that" and I'm a pureeeee noob. XD

Sorry, I'm ashamed to beg like this, but I'm a little bit lost... i can do ... but I don't know what I need to do for start. And the screen "Figure 1" in "Using DDSopt" make me afraid because I wanted to do... but my folder is not like the author... So.. Maybe I miss something ?

I'm really sorry about my English language, It's maybe annoying to read me, but I learn alone English, I don't have a teacher. I can read and understand (not perfectly), but I can't exprime myself.

(And thank you Aiyen for your answer)

Edited by Aoi_Chihiro

I go for it... But, if I understand.. °°

I need to do BEFORE : https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls#Using_DDSopt (Only the DDSopt Configuration)

And after, follow the steps in https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#Optimizing_The_Bethesda_Textures ?

I'm ashamed, oh my god. I feel so useless. x)

If you want to optimize the official Bethesda textures you can follow neovalens guide instead. I think this is easier.https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#Optimizing_The_Bethesda_Textures

It's simpler but doesn't provide some of the advantages of following the DDSopt guide. For example, it changes all the uncompressed textures to compressed, reducing their quality. In addition, the SR:LE guide still requires that DDSopt be installed and configured properly; these instructions are only in the DDSopt guide. The part that Aoi_Chihiro mentioned as not being well explained is the installation and initial configuration of DDSopt. The QuickStart guide currently requires going to another tab for those instructions, which can be confusing. We'll add this to the QuickStart guide to try to make it easier to understand.

I go for it... But, if I understand.. °°

I need to do BEFORE : https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls#Using_DDSopt (Only the DDSopt Configuration)

And after, follow the steps in https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition#Optimizing_The_Bethesda_Textures ?

I'm ashamed, oh my god. I feel so useless. x)

DDSopt isn't especially easy to use and the instructions in the guide can be confusing. Unfortunately the version of DDSopt that you download includes a fairly generic default configuration, and since it was posted we have evolved an improved configuration. This same installation and configuration is used whether you follow the instructions in the SR:LE guide or the instructions in the DDSopt guide. We'll try to improve the instructions; please let us know if the revised instructions are easier to follow. If they aren't we will make further changes.

I'm happy you help me !

Very nice community here, it changes about French community.

I was lost, but now... I think all is ok for me.

Anyway, It is forging that one becomes a blacksmith.

I try, and if it doesn't work... I try in another way.

For resume if I correctly understand all :

Main Menu Settings :

1) I do all the screens (behave / apply / ignore / compression / ...).

2) I configure the "behave" (Normal Maps / Foliage Maps / ...)

Next step :

I configure a folder "in" / "out" in "DDSopt" folder.

Last step :

I follow the Neovalen's guide for "Optimizing The Bethesda Textures".

I tryed to find in the forum an answer to my question before to create a "noob topic", and I saw some messages with that famous "QuickStart" and I think I saw "Kelmych" explain it sometimes makes "member lost" in the guide.

But with a very good assistance in this forum, the persons who talks very well English (or main language) is probably more easy for them.

It's "too technical" for my "noob brain", but now, I think I just understand the way for configure this.

If I've again a problem for DDSopt, I post again in my topic.

(Same for another tool if I've a problem, in the good section and after to search a topic who maybe answer to my question. ^^)

Maybe a LAST question...

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls#Using_DDSopt Here, what is the link under some screens ? D:Skyrim_Mods... or D:_BACKUP or again E:SkyrimWorkingtmp ......

Do I need that kind of folder ? (or maybe I've ?)

I just install again Skyrim + Clean PC (because I needed one... so).

Now, my computer is good, "fresh", I do the update to my drivers, ... and just download all the tools.

That was my last question (maybe one more after if something is not clear for me).

Well, thank you, thank you and thank you again !

(and thank you dreadflopp to encourage me for don't be ashamed. It's hard sometimes to understand all the English, but I was shocked to see I understand PERFECTLY Gopher when he speaks in video for tutorials)

I'm happy you help me !

Very nice community here, it changes about French community.

I was lost, but now... I think all is ok for me.

Anyway, It is forging that one becomes a blacksmith.

I try, and if it doesn't work... I try in another way.

For resume if I correctly understand all :

Main Menu Settings :

1) I do all the screens (behave / apply / ignore / compression / ...).

2) I configure the "behave" (Normal Maps / Foliage Maps / ...)

Yes, do this after you follow the steps for installing DDSopt. Some editing of the installation steps in the guide have been done to try to make them easier to understand.

Next step :

I configure a folder "in" / "out" in "DDSopt" folder.

The "in" and "out" folder is configured using the the SR:LE instructions for these. 

Last step :

I follow the Neovalen's guide for "Optimizing The Bethesda Textures".

I tryed to find in the forum an answer to my question before to create a "noob topic", and I saw some messages with that famous "QuickStart" and I think I saw "Kelmych" explain it sometimes makes "member lost" in the guide.

The quide has a standalone "Quickstart" section with a simplified but complete set of instructions, and has other tabs containing more detailed instructions with explanations. If you follow the "Quickstart" guide you do not need to use any other sections of the guide. If you are using an alternate approach to optimizing, such as the SR:LE instructions, you need to use the instructions in the more detailed sections. Most, but not all, of the instructions in the beginning part of the "QuickStart" guide apply when using the SR:LE instructions.

But with a very good assistance in this forum, the persons who talks very well English (or main language) is probably more easy for them.

It's "too technical" for my "noob brain", but now, I think I just understand the way for configure this.

If I've again a problem for DDSopt, I post again in my topic.

(Same for another tool if I've a problem, in the good section and after to search a topic who maybe answer to my question. ^^)

Maybe a LAST question...

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt_%26_Texture_Overhauls#Using_DDSopt Here, what is the link under some screens ? D:Skyrim_Mods... or D:_BACKUP or again E:SkyrimWorkingtmp ......

Do I need that kind of folder ? (or maybe I've ?)

Those instructions were edited today to make them easier to understand. If you still have a question on the initial portions of the "Using DDSopt" tab let us know. The directories in the screenshots for the DDSopt settings examples are not necessarily ones that a user would choose to use, they are just representative ones; DDSopt can be used in any directory. The directories shown in screenshots associated with using the batch files provided in the DDSopt guide are generally the same directories as are used as examples in the text part of the guide.

I just install again Skyrim + Clean PC (because I needed one... so).

Now, my computer is good, "fresh", I do the update to my drivers, ... and just download all the tools.

That was my last question (maybe one more after if something is not clear for me).

Well, thank you, thank you and thank you again !

(and thank you dreadflopp to encourage me for don't be ashamed. It's hard sometimes to understand all the English, but I was shocked to see I understand PERFECTLY Gopher when he speaks in video for tutorials)

We have been working on a video for using DDSopt to optimize textures, but it isn't complete yet.

Sorry double post but..I feel like... I fail.. O_O

I'm not sure, maybe paranoia, but I'm very tired and not sure to do "well". I hope all is ok...

I do for Skyrim Textures / Dawnguard.bsa / Hearthfire / Dragonborn / ... But with tired feeling, not sure to do well... If I don't do well, how can I see it ?

(Maybe can I do again ? It's not a problem ?)

I delete all my "Optimized" and I do it again... It's ok if I do ?