following STEP project, mod organizer fail

Penlord

Question

following STEP guide flawlessly

got to Consistent Older People, downloaded with mod organizer. STEP guide says use bring out your dead version. That's what I chose. double clicked to install.

mod organizer saying no valid game data.

help?

Edited by Penlord

8 answers to this question

I got it. I was misinterpreting it. Further messing around with it revealed that MO saw the ESPs and other important files within a Data folder. All I had to do was drag them outside of the Data folder and it said "looks good."

perfect.

I also answered my last question. Thanks for your interest in my topic and I hope that it helps other people who are interested in installing S.T.E.P.

Have you installed all the mods? If you are installing a small batch at a time (as I did - lots of testing) there are a few spots where you may have to install a different version or not activate a plugin or patch till another mod is installed later.

Consistent Older People is installed in 2.D

BOYD is installed in 2.M

Check that the archive is actually downloaded properly.. if you can extract it manually or even open it then it is weird, but most likely this is the issue. Happens sometimes with online mirrors! Only thing to do is try again! 

Have you installed all the mods? If you are installing a small batch at a time (as I did - lots of testing) there are a few spots where you may have to install a different version or not activate a plugin or patch till another mod is installed later.

Consistent Older People is installed in 2.D

BOYD is installed in 2.M

I think this is probably what the issue is. But it's weird because the STEP guide says to go from top to bottom. I'm doing that and it's not working. How bizarre that the STEP project is set up like this, then. So I assume you're suggesting I go to the section after 2.D. and start there? And after BOYD is installed, I go back to 2D and continue where I left off?

You probably tried, But did yea try a manual install? 

Put what you want into the [data] directory?  Drag what you want into the folder that you will "set as Data directory"?

The STEP guide suggests I use MO for all my installations, so I'm avoiding all manual installs unless there are no other options.

Check that the archive is actually downloaded properly.. if you can extract it manually or even open it then it is weird, but most likely this is the issue. Happens sometimes with online mirrors! Only thing to do is try again! 

I downloaded the archive twice and it opens up fine. So thank you for your suggestion. I have ruled it out as a possibility.

ANOTHER problem I'm having is...

After I right-click on a downloaded mod and press "Install", it's all fine and dandy.. but my Skyrim -> data folder doesn't have the mods in it?

Is this okay?

Edited by Penlord

Have you read the mod organizer guide on the step wiki? Two quotes:

"When the manual installation dialog comes up, the first thing you should notice is the red text in the bottom left corner that says No game data at top level."

"Most of the time when the manual installation dialog comes up, you'll see a data folder and a readme. In these cases, most of the time you can simply right-click the data folder, select Set data directory and install."

If this is what's happening and you are not setting the data folder as the actual data folder as described above you are creating a data folder within a data folder and the mods assets will not be read by the game.