Memory Blocks Log (by Sheson)

DoubleYou

• 5 months later...

I think that this should be included with STEP Core because of...

For the Memory Patch 3.0 or SSME to be effective you must have a 64 bit OS and have more than 4GB of RAM.

As I was helping people out with pretty consistent CTDs and they claimed it was pretty consistent.
I had asked them to install Memory Blocks Log and then post their MemoryBlocksLog.Log and this showed that SKSE memory tweaks for blocks1 wasn't working correctly.
This is the first few lines of a normal working memory tweak

logging of blocks enabled
logging max values only
Timer disabled
Block1 Block2
512MB 256MB

This is what the user that had CTDs posted

logging max values only
Timer disabled
Block1 Block2
256MB 256MB

The MemoryBlocksLog.Log will clearly show what the actual block sizes are for blocks 1 & 2.
In this case Block1 is 256 which can be easily maxed out causing a freeze or CTD.
In the first log it show that Blocks1 is 512 which is a good starting value and will work for most users.

I have found this to be a really helpful tool myself in the past.

I tried to think of any downsides and I could think of any that would negatively impact a STEP users game

All it does

Starts up and logs the info every time the memory blocks increase.

The only way to directly prove that the memory tweak are or are not working is by using this plugin.

There are other means but I have excluded them because they are more complex than this plugin.

Here are some recent topics where the usage of memory blocks log helped

memory patches and limitations

Semi-random freezing

The most common way to fix the memory issue that I presented above is to add the argument that I list below to the arguments for SKSE

-forcesteamloader

Here is an image if you have trouble with what I am talking about.

ForceSteamLoader.png

• 2 months later...

hmm, Ill look into posting that in one of the guides if I feel that it is needed. I wasn't able to immediately respond to your question because I was out of the house for once. :D

a65902a844.png

EDIT: I added it to the 2nd post and I believe that it is sufficient. If you feel that I am incorrect then send me a pm and suggest what else I should do.

Could you mention somewhere in your description that a 64 bit OS is a requirement for this ?

And possibly anywhere else SKSE or SSME are recommended in any guides ..

See original documentation here https://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2729

A couple of quotes from there :

Will this help your ILS, CTD or freezing?

You have a 64bit OS and lots of main memory.

and ..

Requirements

64bit OS - 32bit may work but untested, probably should use /userva switch, but if you are that desperate good luck

a decent amount of RAM - more than 4GB

a suitable graphics card with decent amount of VRAM - depending on texture sizes

ENBoost - need to free up main memory

Edited by alt3rn1ty

hmm, Ill look into posting that in one of the guides if I feel that it is needed. I wasn't able to immediately respond to your question because I was out of the house for once. :D

EDIT: I added it to the 2nd post and I believe that it is sufficient. If you feel that I am incorrect then send me a pm and suggest what else I should do.

I was just thinking it might save you some time and it's a great screenshot showing exactly where to add that parameter.

I notice that in a vanilla game using the HRDLC (using the SKSE memory tweak and Memory Blocks Log) up through the dragon attack in the intro sequence Block 1 never exceeds 202MB. If I coc whiterun or riverwood from here, Block 1 goes to 213MB. Do you know offhand if Block 1 ever goes beyond 256MB with a vanilla game?

If your game is heavily modded then it will go over 255MB. My current install is up in the 350MB range. Without this patch I would ctd immediately.

I'll up date the 2nd post with some extra info.

EDIT: I wouldnt say that ENBoost is a requirement nor a 64bit os because that isnt a requirement that applies to the memory blocks log but rather the actual memory patch and a stable game. I however did mention this at the top: "For the Memory Patch 3.0 or SSME to be effective you must have a 64 bit OS and have more than 4GB of RAM."

I was reaching the 512 limit at Block1 so i've setup my memory blocks ini to 1024-512 (game doesn't start with 1024-256)

This way my first lines shows:

logging max values only

Timer disabled
Block1      Block2
1024MB    512MB

and my final lines (without ctd) are

~

BlocK 1 Block 2

650       256

670       256

678       256