LOOT (by WrinklyNinja & Team)

z929669

I guess the conclusion is that LOOT is what people should use, but it's not as automated as it might seem, and a bit of extra knowledge is needed.

You needed that same knowledge with BOSS, except you just had to do more work to create patches.

I don't think 99% of people even know you can create rules of any kind for BOSS, let alone about BUM.

And if that's the case, which it probably is, they probably haven't figures out how to do the same in LOOT.

And if that's the case, which it probably is, they probably haven't figures out how to do the same in LOOT.

It's typical though. The same dynamic was evident when quite a significant number of people had blinking clock LED's on the VCR's for nearly two decades. You can give out the free tools, you can write guides and readme's, and you can setup a tech support; but people will usually just go with something out of the box and never look into any of the more advanced/user controlled functions.

This influences design trends...the kind that annoy me...where optional features become default/hard set in order to circumvent expected operator error, ignorance or indifference.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with the LOOT Report viewer: the browser window displays only a few boxes but no actuall record or text.

If I click properties I get a path to:

file:///G:/Programme/LOOT/resources/report/report.html?data=C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/LOOT/Skyrim/reportdata.js

If I copy and paste it into the browser the LOOT Report is displayed correctly. It shows the correct LOOT version 0.6.0.

I have checked both paths:

The first half of the LOOT Reports adress

file:///G:/Programme/LOOT/resources/report/report.html

leads to a report.html file I can't open wit my browser (Firefox)

The second half of the LOOT report adress shows

data=C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/LOOT/Skyrim/reportdata.js

the content of reportdata.js is

var data = {"lootVersion": "0.6.0", "masterlist": {"updaterEnabled": "Enabled", "revision": "54c66a628", "date": "2014-07-08"}, "plugins": [{"name": "Skyrim.esm", "isActive": true, "crc": "C665FD56", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Update.esm", "isActive": true, "crc": "1FDAB215", "tagsAdd": ["Delev", "Relev"], "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "29271358", "version": "Version: 2.0.5", "tagsAdd": ["Delev", "Names", "Relev", "Stats"], "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Dawnguard.esm", "isActive": true, "crc": "7A481404", "tagsAdd": ["Delev", "Relev"], "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "A3FDFD8D", "version": "Version: 2.0.5", "tagsAdd": ["Delev", "Names", "Relev", "Stats"], "isDirty": false}, {"name": "HearthFires.esm", "isActive": true, "crc": "F4DDC851", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "DF1E97D", "version": "Version: 2.0.5", "tagsAdd": ["Names"], "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Dragonborn.esm", "isActive": true, "crc": "A46CA360", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "FB2715AC", "version": "Version: 2.0.5", "tagsAdd": ["Delev"], "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm", "isActive": true, "crc": "FE33A011", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "HighResTexturePack01.esp", "isActive": false, "crc": "D596F02A", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "HighResTexturePack02.esp", "isActive": false, "crc": "D596F02A", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "HighResTexturePack03.esp", "isActive": false, "crc": "D596F02A", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Cutting Room Floor.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "E8C12DDF", "version": "Version: 1.0.6", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "fFastTravelSpeedMult_4.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "CC1A0B4E", "version": "Version: 1.0", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "AFACD2E9", "isDirty": false, "messages": [{"type": "say", "content": "Note: Do not clean. "Dirty" edits are intentional and required for the mod to function."}]}, {"name": "Appropriately Attired Jarls Redux.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "C4ED7762", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Paralyze.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "B60BC46D", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Dead Body Collision.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "B8B71CA1", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "RaceMenu.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "2765B7D0", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "RaceMenuPlugin.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "8A8A009F", "isDirty": false, "messages": [{"type": "say", "content": "Note: RaceMenuPlugin is optional and provides support to alter Height, Breast, Glute and Biceps. If you experience issues with it, disable RaceMenuPlugin.esp and inform the author."}]}, {"name": "SkyUI.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "9330CAF7", "version": "Version: 4.1", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "TradeBarter.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "AC24F58B", "tagsAdd": ["Delev", "Relev"], "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "F7B2BC5", "version": "Version: 5.0", "tagsAdd": ["Delev", "Names", "Relev", "Stats"], "isDirty": false}, {"name": "SPTConsistentOlderPeople.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "68D5E4DD", "version": "Version: 2.2", "isDirty": false, "messages": [{"type": "say", "content": "Note: If this is not newer than v1.3, update to the latest version."}]}, {"name": "Weapons & Armor_TrueOrcish&DaedricWeapons.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "399C31A9", "tagsAdd": ["Delev", "Names", "Relev", "Stats"], "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "175581E1", "version": "Version: 1.3", "tagsAdd": ["Delev", "Names", "Relev", "Stats"], "isDirty": false}, {"name": "SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "B4C880EE", "version": "Version: 3.0.esp", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Improved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.esp", "isActive": true, "crc": "EA5CBC81", "isDirty": false}, {"name": "Bashed Patch, 0.esp", "isActive": false, "crc": "2C5BA0DD", "isDirty": false}], "globalMessages": [{"type": "say", "content": "Note: There have been no changes in the Details tab since LOOT was last run for this game."}, {"type": "say", "content": "Note: <a href="http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1501586-loot-thread-9">Latest LOOT thread</a>."}, {"type": "say", "content": "Note: Your SKSE is up-to-date."}], "l10n": {"txtSummarySec": "Summary", "txtSummary": "Version Information", "txtLootVersion": "LOOT Version", "txtMasterlistRevision": "Masterlist Revision", "txtMasterlistDate": "Masterlist Date", "txtMasterlistUpdating": "Masterlist Updating", "txtCounts": "Plugin & Message Counts", "txtTotalPluginNo": "Total Plugins", "txtActivePluginNo": "Active Plugins", "txtDirtyPluginNo": "Dirty Plugins", "txtTotalMessageNo": "Total Messages", "txtTotalWarningNo": "Warnings", "txtTotalErrorNo": "Errors", "txtGeneralMessages": "General Messages", "txtDetailsSec": "Details", "filtersToggle": "Filters", "txtHideVersionNumbers": "Hide Version Numbers", "txtHideCRCs": "Hide CRCs", "txtHideBashTags": "Hide Bash Tag Suggestions", "txtHideNotes": "Hide Notes", "txtHideDoNotCleanMessages": "Hide 'Do Not Clean' Messages", "txtHideInactivePluginMessages": "Hide Inactive Plugin Messages", "txtHideAllPluginMessages": "Hide All Plugin Messages", "txtHideMessagelessPlugins": "Hide Messageless Plugins", "txtPluginsHidden": "Plugins hidden", "txtMessagesHidden": "Messages hidden"}}

in this folder, on the same level I also have an report.html.

I can open this one without problems and here I see it's created by an older version of LOOT 0.5.0

I deinstalled 0.5.0 and installed 0.6.0 yesterday. Maybe  I have done something wrong?

I thought I'd give this LOOT thing a try, but my Norton antivirus freaks out and removes the executable if I try and run it.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? 

There should be a way to whitelist certain executables with all AVs. They need stuff reported to them to make detection better.

Add the executable to norton's ignore list...or you could get rid of that bloated antivirus nazi! Haha!  :lol:  I hate Norton...they give companies incentives to pre-install it or push its use. Staples does this which is why you'll be suggested Norton over anything else...not because it's a good antivirus, but because they're contracted to and get a kick from it's sales (I was a Resident Tech for a while).

Have not found a solution to my problem yet.

If I uninstall LOOT do I have to delete the C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/LOOT/Skyrim folder so I'm sure there are no other LOOT files from a previous install?

Or do I have to clean other hidden directories on my system?

Have not found a solution to my problem yet.

If I uninstall LOOT do I have to delete the C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/LOOT/Skyrim folder so I'm sure there are no other LOOT files from a previous install?

Or do I have to clean other hidden directories on my system?

Best place to take your report is here: https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1503686-rel-loot-thread-10/

The devs know more about it than we do. They love looking through logs and reports for stuff to make their app better.