Inhabitants of Skyrim - NPC Overhaul by Rops1981

rootsrat

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/23755/?

This mod aims to improve the facial morphology of unique NPCs. With a few exceptions I tried to keep their essence while making them prettier. About 80% of the NPCs I have modified kept the same eyes, nose and mouth. In most cases I simply changed the distance between these facial features and I modified the overall shape of the face (jaw, chin & cheekbones). Some wrinkles were also removed when I deemed appropriate. I’ve also modified the facial dirt by removing it completely or by toning it down – However, miners, smithies, prisoners and a few farmers still have dirt on their faces. The followers are NOT modified.
Sounds interesting. Looking at screenshots, it's pretty good! There are 3 versions available, 2 that require Apachi Skyhair and 1 that is pure vanilla. Think I'll check this one out!

I've used this mod, and was very pleased with the results but it won't be to everyone's tastes because it does make most NPC's rather attractive. 

I stopped using the mod in recent builds because editing that many NPC records was just entirely to troublesome to make compatible with any other mods that altered the same NPC's in some way. I've started to individually "upgrade" some NPC's with more specialized mods, some example:

Delphine Makeover by Hoax by Rocl

Vilkas and Farkas by Netherwalk by netherwalk

Onmund by CrimsonFairy

Talvas Fathryon Remake by CrimsonFairy 

By doing this, I can more easily keep track and edit records that need changes due to other mods that reference the same NPC's. Immersive College of Winterhold, for instance has some really good edits to AI and Skills for most of the Mage College NPC's. So editing Onmund by CrimsonFairy was needed. 

redirishlord, on 11 Jun 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:redirishlord, on 11 Jun 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:redirishlord, on 11 Jun 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't in MO show me when mods are overwriting each and the conflicts tab will allow me to select which mod wins?

Yes and no. Facegen related files generally show up in the conflicts tab, but the records edits aren't going to show up there. MO doesn't peek into the ESP file tables and see if a particular ESP is modifying the same in-game character, you need TES5Edit to do that for you.

Here's a simple conflict, I just chose which file I wanted to make the face changes:

Posted Image

I don't use the particular Sky Haven Temple Merchants & More FULL ESP that modifies Delphine's stats/traits, but the base mod includes some simple facegen appearance related changes. Since they are just textures and meshes, no big deal, I just have the Hoax version get priority placement. One replacer for another.

Now, here's a record conflict that I had to edit to get the appearance changes in-line with ICW AI changes. I wanted Immersive College of Winterhold's AI Package upgrades and routines, but I wanted CrimsonFairy's facegen edits:

Posted Image

Edited by Kuldebar

See, the problem arises when a modder wants to change something superficial about an NPC in the vanilla game.

So, the modder will take the official record and correctly/only makes the changes he/she wants while leaving the vanilla game record otherwise intact, this effectively means they are "forwared" or perpetuated into the new mod.

Vanilla NPC Record attributes:

A

B

C

D

E

F

Modified NPC Record attributes:

A

B

C

D  <----something edited in this field for the NPC, rest of record unchanged

E

F

All is well. The modder may even go above and beyond and forward all the Unofficial Patch changes (if any) to that NPC as well. This is commendable.

But then, trouble arises, I want to install another mod that edits the same NPC, albeit in a different way:

A

B

C

D

E

F

Modified NPC Record #1 attributes:

A

B

C

D  <----something edited in this field for the NPC, rest of record unchanged

E

F

Modified NPC Record #2 attributes:

A

B  <----something edited in this field for the NPC, rest of record unchanged

C

E

F

Now, how do I reconcile this? Well, in TES5Edit, I have to pick one of the ESP's and have it carry forward all the desired changes:

A

B

C

D

E

F

Modified NPC Record #1 attributes:

A

B  <----something edited in this field for the NPC, changes from Mod #2

C

D  <----something edited in this field for the NPC, changes from Mod #1

E

F

Edited by Kuldebar
  • +1 1

redirishlord, on 11 Jun 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:redirishlord, on 11 Jun 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

Yikes. I see how the work can add up across multiple plugins especially if one or more edit multiple npcs.

Yes, I was happy until I ran across the issues...my ignorance was bliss. So, I decided to forgo the overhaul (though I like it) and just use targeted NPC remakes so I could keep tabs on stuff that mattered even more than just blanket good looks, lol.

ROPs did a good job, nothing is "wrong" with his mod, but like many a good looking thang, it's very high maintenance to keep around. :woot:

Edited by Kuldebar

Tru dat, it's all about the maintenance.

I notice that LOOT places the NPC Overhaul esp earlier than the other pertinent plugins (BOYD, ESF, the Sky Haven suite), am I correct in assuming I can allow this to load earlier and the other plugins will overwrite their specific npc records leaving the bulk of the NPC Overhaul intact (orc stronghold denizens, tavern wenches, etc)?

Edited by redirishlord

Well, what that might mean worst case (not so very bad) is the custom faces won't make it through any other NPC editing mods that follow after it.

So, though nothing will blow up, it will just revert some or all the appearance changes for the impacted NPC's.

PS. I generally don't recommend changing NPC appearances in an already active game play...can lead to discolored faces, seams and tint issues.

Edited by Kuldebar

With this type of mods, you've got nothing to fear, red. It's a simple matter of drag and dropping conflicts. It is a tedius, thankless task, however. ::P:

You only need to follow a few steps. Take this example from Xvision Children - Complete.esp (which also is a cosmetic mod) and PrinceandPauper.esp:

1) Load them both in TES5Edit

2) Alternate click on any of the esps, click "Apply Filter" and set it like this:

Posted Image

3) Let it do its thing and when it's done, open the last of the esps, in this case, PrinceandPauper.esp

4) Open Non-Player Character (Actor)

5) Alternate click on the right pane and click "Hide no conflict rows".

6) You'll see that the aesthetic changes from Xvision Children are just being reverted back to vanilla by PaP. Alternate click on Xvision Children - Complete.esp (because this is the esp that provides new records for the NPC, PaP is replacing Packages which the NPC already has) at the top of the right panel and select "Copy and override into". Should look like this:

Posted Image

7) Select <new file> and name it as you see fit. E.g. Xvision - PaP Patch.esp. Click "Yes" when prompted to add masters to your new patch.

8) Drag and drop the packages from PaP and click "Yes" when asked to make it a master for you patch.

Posted Image

9) Repeat as necessary.

• +1 1

But then you have custom scripts and custom AI packages...which can make it less drag and drop and more new masters and so forth. With NPC Overhaul I ran into this with Immersive College's AI Package's plus some changes by unofficial packages. It all comes down to how much you really want all the mods to work together and to what length you will strive to do that.

For me the aesthetic gains weren't worth the hassle when two or more other mods were editing the same NPC record.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- ::):

I went ahead and cloned my current profile and added Inhabitants of Skyrim - NPC Overhaul by Rops1981 into the cloned build. 

I did some editing to clean up some things, but was actually surprised at how few conflicts I ran into when I loaded my whole mod list up in TES5Edit.

I was concerned mainly about anything that interfered with High Level Enemies, YASH and some particular NPC Mods.

The conflicts were pretty trivial, all in all. I did remove all the college NPC edits so they wouldn't interfere with Immersive College of Winterhold.

So, using my cloned current save game, I ran the game up with the LOOT order and a new Bash Patch. So far in Whiterun I am seeing the edits and nothings has appeared off or glitched (seams, tints, etc). NPC weights were not edited in this version of Inhabitants of Skyrim - NPC Overhaul so that eliminated the neck seam issues that can plague such mods when introduced into an existing game.

So, I am very happy to have IoS-NPC's back in my game. ::):

Posted Image

Edited by Kuldebar