Standalone SMAA

frihyland

Tried to run that next to RCRN - but I don't get it workin. Just runnin the RCRN dll next to SMAA dll didn't work, and the hint to run both via the ENB proxy didn't either - this way, I could get RCRN runnin, but not both SMAA + RCRN.

Edit: My probleme definitely lies within the enb antifreeze. I can either load smaa.dll or rcrn.dll via the enb.

Edit2: RCRN forum says it just doesn't work - incompatible to RCRN, as it seems :-/

This one should be included in the next STEP guide. We have tried a ridiculous amount of AA types, settings, and combinations and SMAA was clearly the best for quality and performance. Since quality and performance are the whole idea of STEP this one is tailor made for the guide. My opinion of course. But based on a LOT of research and trial and error. :)

make sure to add this line to injector.ini:

weird_steam_hack = 1

I got some really weird stuff with it set to 0 by default, like the entire world was foggy and the flora wasn't rendering properly, and road textures had hard lines/gradients instead of being smoothly blended together.

it's not bad, and probably better than FXAA but still no substitute for real MSAA and TrSSAA/SGSSAA, but for systems that can't handle those, this is definitely a viable alternative

Edit: also, it seems to be less aggressive than FXAA at reducing aliasing so in sometimes FXAA does a better job, however FXAA blurs everything a lot. this might go well paired with a lower setting of MSAA and TrSSAA/SGSSAA

it's not bad' date=' and probably better than FXAA but still no substitute for real MSAA and TrSSAA/SGSSAA, but for systems that can't handle those, this is definitely a viable alternative[/quote']

Yeah well not everyone can afford a GTX 690 :P

well i'm finding even my 690 has limits. I'm testing SMAA with lower SGSSAA right now, combined they seem to work well (although tree leaves still flicker)

Edit: it also seems to reduce the detail on certain textures, like the sticks and twigs on the ground textures

I know this is about the stand-alone SMAA, but it's also fairly easy to add SMAA to an ENB series

you just have to drop the d3d9_smaa.dll, SMAA.fx, and SMAA.h into the same folder with ENB and then edit enbseries.ini so the top looks like this:

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=true
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=d3d9_smaa.dll

(and of course remove any FXAA that might be with your ENB already)

Yes, weird_steam_hack does need set to 1 or this will not work correctly for a lot of people. That's no big deal though. KyokushinOyama uploaded it and I have editing access so I will talk to him about setting that to 1 as default. That will save people having to go in the injector ini and change it themselves.

Also, this doesn't work with RCRN. So anyone using that will be out of luck for the SMAA. Just thought I would point that out too.