Elite: Dangerous

Elite is my favourite game of all times, ever - Frontier First Encounters specifically. When Elite: Dangerous was announced I was extremely happy! I wasn't able to support it via KS at the time, but I purchased premium beta recently, however I only played it for about an hour so far due to some PC problems and holidays. 

Are there any Elite fans here? Do you guys plan to buy beta access or maybe someone already plays it? I'd love to exchange some opinions with you! I won't be playing it until I'm back home (another week to go), but once I'm back I want to really get into it!

One question so far: if you are going to play it, do you plan to use a joystick, a pad or mouse+keyboard? I'm thinking of getting a joystick with a throttle handle. 

Oh, just one thing, I really don't want for this thread to become Elite vs Star Citizen thread, so please refrain from that kind of discussion  :) Thanks in advance! 

::EDIT::

I have now started a thread for ED vs SC discussion, see here.

Refraining as I'm on the other side of that debate ;-) I am glad to see that the genre is receiving much needed attention, and that the classics are making a comeback. I am curious to see the discussion of Elite's various attributes, so I'll stay tuned.

Re- control systems, I picked up a Saitek X52 HOTAS for another game. Its seems to be quite good value; well made, ergonomically comfortable and very programmable. I also use a Razer Nostromo speedpad with a Trackball mouse to simulate mouse and keyboard control set and the combination is also very programmable (software sees a keyboard not a gamepad, although with a thumbstick for W/A/S/D movement and the thumb driven trackball it feels  a lot like an xbox controller split and placed on the desk), its also how I play Skyrim/FNV.

I was thinking about X52, but it seems a bit too expensive. Instead, I have my eyes on Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, which receives really good reviews and is much cheaper, but doesn't seem to be vrey crippled in comparison to Saitek's X52. 

Re the ED vs SC debate: I'd be interested to see that as well, I just want this thread to be only about Elite game. 

::EDIT::

I have now started a thread for ED vs SC discussion, see here.

I picked up on your intent, but I thought my controller observations were agnostic (re- game of choice). The HOTAS/Joystick offers enhanced immersion/realism, but the speedpad/trackball seems to be both accessible and precise. I would suggest reviewing user submitted reviews (especially if such are available on an Elite:Dangerous forum) as it seems you get what you pay for with controllers.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another one who is reliving his PAST.

Missed KS also but bought PB and started 1 st of June with ED. You are lucky because you started with PB 2.x and not PB1.x. PB2 is MUCH more stable and the market is NOT flattened as in PB1. In fact in PB2 (till last sunday) they fixed the market in such a way that one could make progress with the grinding part. The famous P-cells from Aluin.

I bought X-rebirth a few months ago but hated the KB M experience. Bought a cheap Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and using it atm. Works great in combination with the keypad of the KB. Please DO go the joystick/flightstick/HOTAS route, its much more immersive.

Tip: I just ordered an ED-tracker (basically track-ir which you build yourself or order for I believe 20 pound or so). Mine will arrive in 1.5 weeks. Will make 'looking around' in cockpit/space much more immersive.

What we currently see in PB is ONLY a SKELETON of the full game, but MAN does it look good and its addictive as well.

Cmdr Wolverine signing off.

Edit: I bought a X-52 HOTAS, not tested it yet but will be returned as I'm actually waiting for the Saitek X-55 HOTAS.

• 2 weeks later...