STEP v2.2.9 Official Bug Reports

EssArrBee

For by far most users the only thing they need to change is the VideoMemorySize and ReservedMemorysize. 

Autodetect will always put in your VRAM amount since that is what you should use as a baseline value. Is it the best and most optimal value? Perhaps not since it depends on how much total memory you have to throw at the game. 

If you have 12Gb+ RAM you can use values for videomemorysize up to 8Gb. if you got more you can increase it further but not much point since it is almost impossible to get skyrim to use much more without starting to getting massive slowdowns due to bandwidth issues anyways. 

The reservedmemorysize is either 256 or 512 for just about all computers. If one does not work try the other. 

As for all the rest.. unless you start getting performance drops during panning the camera or during transitions you do not need to worry about changing them from the nexus default value for your card. 

In general the values suggested to you are a very good starting point. As you add more stuff to your game and you start getting into CTD and slowdown issues you can return and try to change the values. 

Hope that helps otherwise just ask which parts you want clarified. 

Thanks... I wasn't really asking for myself though, more pointing out an inconsistency in the guide (the whole "don't use nexus version" followed by "pick the one corresponding to your graphics card" (which is only in the nexus version))...I feel pretty comfortable configuring this myself, but that might cause major confusion to newer users.

I don't know if this is a "bug" in the guide-logic, or merely an easily misinterpreted instruction, but even if the latter then it can probably be improved.

I haven't read the whole guide yet, but there are a few things I checked for since I noticed them in 2.2.8 and wanted to see if the new version would fix or improve them.

The first section Skyrim Installation has a link to the Skyrim Installation guide which is needed if you need any detail regarding, for example, reverting to a vanilla install. This page has a section about HRDLC and what choices to make regarding it based on your VRAM. This section has an "Optional" side box briefly mentioning DDSopt and how for users with little VRAM it can help to optimize the textures in the vanilla BSAs. This in turn links to the DDSopt guide.

This part might really be a bug: the link says it goes to the Quickstart guide, but when I click it it goes to the "Introduction" tab and I still have to click on "Quick-Start Guide" to get to that page. Probably either the wording or the link should be changed so that they match.

This Quick-Start Guide says, under Setup DDSopt, "Before using DDSopt the first time make sure that step 1.B. of the current STEP guide has been completed."

But I got here from 1.A. so 1.B. has not even been started yet (except for a redundancy I note below).

Additionally, the Troubleshooting Guide section "Restore Vanilla Skyrim" already says to run the launcher to create the ini files and get the auto-chosen presets (in step 8) which appears to be the entire point of stage 1.B. of the STEP guide.

I also am not sure why in 1.B. it says to make the change in the Antialiasing value in the launcher instead of waiting for MO to be installed to make the change there.

While most of these things are able to be figured out with enough reading and thinking, if we are going for a guide that is easily followed, we might want to improve some of the wordings or logic structures to make the recommended course more obvious.

I don't know if this is a "bug" in the guide-logic, or merely an easily misinterpreted instruction, but even if the latter then it can probably be improved. I haven't read the whole guide yet, but there are a few things I checked for since I noticed them in 2.2.8 and wanted to see if the new version would fix or improve them. The first section Skyrim Installation has a link to the Skyrim Installation guide which is needed if you need any detail regarding, for example, reverting to a vanilla install. This page has a section about HRDLC and what choices to make regarding it based on your VRAM. This section has an "Optional" side box briefly mentioning DDSopt and how for users with little VRAM it can help to optimize the textures in the vanilla BSAs. This in turn links to the DDSopt guide. This part might really be a bug: the link says it goes to the Quickstart guide, but when I click it it goes to the "Introduction" tab and I still have to click on "Quick-Start Guide" to get to that page. Probably either the wording or the link should be changed so that they match.

This is an issue with the header tabs we use. It's a bug in the wiki code. A minor inconvenience.

This Quick-Start Guide says, under Setup DDSopt, "Before using DDSopt the first time make sure that step 1.B. of the current STEP guide has been completed." But I got here from 1.A. so 1.B. has not even been started yet (except for a redundancy I note below).

Fixed by adding a notice on the Quick-start tab to return to the STEP Guide to completely 1.B.

Additionally, the Troubleshooting Guide section "Restore Vanilla Skyrim" already says to run the launcher to create the ini files and get the auto-chosen presets (in step 8) which appears to be the entire point of stage 1.B. of the STEP guide. I also am not sure why in 1.B. it says to make the change in the Antialiasing value in the launcher instead of waiting for MO to be installed to make the change there. While most of these things are able to be figured out with enough reading and thinking, if we are going for a guide that is easily followed, we might want to improve some of the wordings or logic structures to make the recommended course more obvious.

Any changes made to the INIs before MO installation (in 1.C) should be automatically added to the MO INI files. Therefore, your AA changes as well as all other INI changes should already be present in MO...if you're following the Guide and installed MO after the Launcher settings.

Not a massive bug, if it can be called a bug at all, but the wording on the Meta Rule Instructions subsections, such as on Weapons and Armour Fixes: https://wiki.step-project.com/Weapons_and_Armor_Fixes#Recommendations, is quite confusing for me. Is it telling me to load the first option after the second option? Or the other way around?

First one after the last one. One day we'll actually get good at making templates.

Weapons and Armor Fixes - detailed instructions provide LOOT Meta Rule Instructions.  I installed the newest version of LOOT and apparently it knows how to properly sort the esp without manually entering in a rule - I say this because it seems to have put the esps in the correct order.  So I think these instructions are now obsolete, but I'm not sure.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Ruins Clutter Improved - Notes mention version 2.7, but version 2.8 is out now.

EDIT: Might want to check into possibly using the custom option instead of "install everything" in the installer to get subliminal traps option.  I don't think you get that if you don't do it custom.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

With regards to the Visible Windows mod recommendations...

"STEP recommends the "Gritty" option for all windows and the "Default" for all color options but "Yellow Tint" for both Solitude and Whiterun."

All well and good, but unless you have paid a great deal of attention to these in game (which, honestly, I haven't), you have no way of knowing which windows belong to which city, since the Installer doesn't make that clear in any fashion. Just pictures. Up close pictures of the windows. Not enough background elements for me to figure out which go with which. Is there any way we might be able to clarify this at all?

aMidianBorn Whiterun - detailed instructions has a bunch of files removed from the installation, but I noticed that "wrcitywall01_p.dds" is not removed.  Is this intended?  I am skeptical about this, only because when such files get removed, they usually get removed in sets, and the other 2 files with "wrcitywall01" in the filename were mentioned.

Edited by oqhansoloqo