Mod Organizer - SKSE Elevation Error on start up.

Thievius

Question

Every time I run SKSE through Mod Organizer, it gives me an error saying,

This process requires elevation to run.

This is a potential security risk so I highly advise you to investigate if "C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonSkyrimskse_loader.exe" can be installed to work without elevation. Start elevated anyway? (you will be asked if you want to allow ModOrganizer.exe to make changes to the system)

Yes         No

When I click Yes, normal Skyrim.exe starts instead of SKSE, and when I click No, it cancels the start up and takes me back to Mod Organizer. SKSE can only start if I choose to run it as admin which is creating the problem of it not starting on MO. I unchecked the "always run as admin" box in skse_loader.exe's properties which caused MO to begin to launch SKSE until I got the error telling me to run SKSE as admin. No matter what I do, MO will not launch SKSE without error. How do I fix this? I tried a method involving the Task Scheduler but it said "failed to spawn "schtasks.exe": failed to start process (The directory name is invalid. [276])".

3 answers to this question

"until I got the error telling me to run SKSE as admin"

What were the exact words of that message and where did it come from?

A very simple but bad solution to this problem is to run MO itself as administrator.

"When I click Yes, normal Skyrim.exe starts instead of SKSE"

This I have a bit of trouble believing. When you click yes MO starts that same binary elevated, I don't see how it could skip the skse_loader. Are you sure skse is not being run? have you checked in-game that skse isn't active? Have you checked the skse logs to see if maybe skse_loader has trouble running?

I found a fix but sadly it deleted all my saves setup on profiles and set all my mod orders, and enabled/disabled mods to how they were when I first started so now I have to restart the game and spend another day fixing everything once more as if it wasn't a ***** the first time. This happened because the solution was only possible if I restarted everything. I ran into 2 seperate MO's, one of which knew all my changes and profiles and was a .zip, and the other was as if I never touched MO before in a folder, claiming it was the first time it started and did not have any of my MO progress. I used advise to run MO as admin (not sure why that never crossed my mind) on the MO that knows my progress, but I couldn't due to it still being inside a .zip. So my only choice in doing so was to extract the .zip into a folder and then run the modorganizer.exe as admin. When I did this, MO told me it was my first time I ran the program and had none of my progress whatsoever even though everything in the .zip that knew who I was and was extracted into it. As well even though the .zip still existed and seemed untouched, it lost all progress and was claiming it was my first time opening it, loosing my profiles and the saves and mod patterns with it. So restarting everything is no my only choice.

Also when I said, "When I click Yes, normal Skyrim.exe starts instead of SKSE", I meant to say when SKSE started, it acted as if it was not SKSE and was the vanilla .exe causing all my mods requiring SKSE to deactivate, it also gave me some load errors, and messages saying, "SKSE is not running".